DiamondBoxx compared to vintage boomboxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScareDe2

Member (SA)
May 3, 2016

ralrein1

Member (SA)
Hello Scare and Welcome to Boomboxery.Well sir I've never heard this Diamondbox,so I cannot say much with regards to that. I can tell you that it has No personality at all. No chrome anywhere,not on the dust caps of the woofers especially. Also no grills of any kind to protect said woofers. It probably sounds pretty good playing the hippity hopp music and the rap music that the kids are so into these days. I would also imagin it sounds good playing real music like Rock and the Metal. I think if you want a new Bluetooth boombox you should get the new Lasonic BT model. It looks the part and really pumps out the sound,plus it has personality and "street cred".Well that's about all I've got to say on the subject. Once again Welcome.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
One sold on Ebay for over $600

Build quality seems nice, but I'm not a fan of sharp edges & corners, especially when you're trying to carry it.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
I have seen these on Instagram and I respect the fact that someone is making a "Box" shape. It's all aluminum, so it should hold up well and as mentioned above, today's modern electronics are so efficient, that I'm sure it pounds.

But as I have mentioned before, I collect vintage blasters, not for the sound quality (most sound like crud). I collect vintage electronics because I am old and want to relive the youth my children stole from me!

This???
1diamondboxx.jpg

Or This???
100_2001.JPG

"3 touchdowns in a single game!" - Al Bundy

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
jimmyjimmy19702010, on 04 May 2016 - 12:50 PM, said:

The main casing is actually thin MDF. Only the front panel is metal.
It's probably better that way, actually. I think an all-metal box would sound, well.......boxy.

ScareDe2

Member (SA)
May 3, 2016
I am no expert but just to be sure, sound quality is a bit subjective if the unit is balanced to deliver more bass to help new music punch, even tho it perform great in all frequencies, will it makes older music sound good?? I thought older boombox gives a different texture that sometimes makes a specific type of music sound better, am I wrong?

It just seems to me that boomboxes add different flavor to the sound. To me, there is sound designers responsible of that. I don't think it is relate to the childhood memories necessarily. But again, I never tested big hifi system that cost thousand$$.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Many (but not all) classic boomboxes with their limited output power are designed to concentrate their output in the mid range where human hearing is most sensitive - obviously this makes them sound much louder than they would if the mids were subdued and the bass more prominant.

More bass and deeper bass is what most collectors would love to get from their classic boxes. The amps in these old girls are pretty poor sounding if we're honest - a situation improved upon but not truly solved by the upgrading of the speakers to modern equivalents.

The DiamondBoxx and other 'high end' newbies probably sound better than most old boomboxes with all types of music. But the look, unimpressive size and the complete lack of style & history (when compared to the chromed up classics) of the modern offerings keeps the old boomers in the game.

James.... :-)

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
Many (but not all) classic boomboxes with their limited output power are designed to concentrate their output in the mid range where human hearing is most sensitive - obviously this makes them sound much louder than they would if the mids were subdued and the bass more prominant.

More bass and deeper bass is what most collectors would love to get from their classic boxes. The amps in these old girls are pretty poor sounding if we're honest - a situation improved upon but not truly solved by the upgrading of the speakers to modern equivalents.

The DiamondBoxx and other 'high end' newbies probably sound better than most old boomboxes with all types of music. But the look, unimpressive size and the complete lack of style & history (when compared to the chromed up classics) of the modern offerings keeps the old boomers in the game.

James.... :-)
This conversation has been going on since before I came to this site. But it's like comparing a 1969 Corvette, 427 big block, 4 speed car to a brand new 2016 Corvette 427 small block, 7 speed car. You can get both today for around the same price (some 1969's bring way more money) The 69 was fast in it day, but the new car does everything better, hundreds of times over. So it comes down to one thing, do you like the look of the classic? I assume if your on this site, it's about the classic blaster and not how well it reproduces audio signals.

I haven't heard the Diamond Boxx, but I bet it whomps these classic's asses! Much like the new Aiwa does.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
This conversation has been going on since before I came to this site. But it's like comparing a 1969 Corvette, 427 big block, 4 speed car to a brand new 2016 Corvette 427 small block, 7 speed car. You can get both today for around the same price (some 1969's bring way more money) The 69 was fast in it day, but the new car does everything better, hundreds of times over. So it comes down to one thing, do you like the look of the classic? I assume if your on this site, it's about the classic blaster and not how well it reproduces audio signals.

I haven't heard the Diamond Boxx, but I bet it whomps these classic's asses! Much like the new Aiwa does.
100% in agreement Chris! :-)

ScareDe2

Member (SA)
May 3, 2016
I agree new units performs better in all frequencies and have more output power, but, those guys who design how a boombox will sound, will they cook a unique flavor for their device, right? instead of just putting all the spices in their recipe they will carefully choose the amount of each that they want. I mean.., it's not just the frequency response and output power that will make us fall in love with the unit. Let's forget about the look for a moment. Those guys who design how a boombox will sound, will, i suppose (again I am no expert), play with a lot of elements, like, a small quantity of reverb, perhaps even a slight touch of unique distortion, the designer will choose how the unit perform in specific frequency, they will "cook" their device right?
:huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.