Custom Battery Compartment Padding

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
Have you ever felt that the sponge in most battery compartments is not meant to last due to is delicate or fragile composition? I did but, now even more so, since finding deteriorated, crumbling foam/sponge was way past it's usefulness.

Here's the custom fix I came up with to replace sponge/foam that had turned to dust:

Materials: vinyl (type) fabric of choice and an offcut of durable artificial foam. Carefully check the combined thickness is of an appropriate size by 'dry testing' in the battery compartment.
DSCF0639.JPG

Cut materials to size, affix double sided adhesive tape to foam/sponge and stick to the vinyl cover (to be!).
DSCF0640.JPG

Apply a second strip of double sided adhesive tape the to top exposed face of the foam/sponge.
DSCF0641.JPG

Fold over the ends followed by the sides and press firmly to ensure a good bond.
DSCF0642.JPG

Using a third strip of double sided adhesive tape, fix the padding joint side down and, again, press firmly to ensure a good and lasting bond then step back and admire your work!
DSCF0644.JPG

Next Instructional Guides:

1: How To Weave A Pretty Pink Tuning String!

2: How To Crochet Woolly Speaker Grills (to keep the cold out)!

3: How To Use A Knitting Needle As An Antenna!

4: How To Paint-By-Numbers Your Very Own Tuning Display Using Only A 4" Brush, Eye Liner And A Lipstick!

;-)

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
you got that woman's touch , most of us guys just stick some random foam that works and call it a day lol. nice job!. that's got to be the most luxurious battery lid pad ever made .

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Haha this place needed a womans influence!!!

You could do a weekly corner, "Boombox 101 with MOM" !!

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Thanks, Guys!

How about an 'Agony Aunt's Corner'?

"My Boombox Has Found Another Lover".

"I Fancy Another Man's Boombox".

"Is Admiring Boomboxes Normal?".

"I Think I've Caught Boomboxia, How Do I tell My Wife?"

"Is Comparing Mine With Another Man's Normal"?

"I Fancy The Boombox At Work".

I think you'll get the idea!.....................

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
Inland Empire, Southern California
JVC Floyd said:
you got that woman's touch , most of us guys just stick some random foam that works and call it a day lol. nice job!. that's got to be the most luxurious battery lid pad ever made .
Lmao, Floyd is so right.

Excellent work M.O.M!!! Looks so soft! 1st class all the way ;-) If I were "D" cell battery I would love to be nestled by that cushion :thumbsup:

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
When I came up with the idea, my thoughts were wandering on other things but they gently prompted me.

I remember it oh so well...............

It was dark, very dark and the sun had gone down so long ago. In the still of the night, the only sounds were that of my whispering breath accompanied by the gentle beating of my heart within the hot-pink silken blouse only worn on those....well, 'special' occasions.

Curves, it was all about the curves. The object of my thoughts had to be accommodated within the curves - but, would one of such a size actually fit with all that soft, gentle padding caressing it? There was only one way to find out. I stole a glance at it and my heart began to race at the images I beheld - my heartbeat increased, could I honestly pull this off? The siz...........................

:blush: NO-NO-NO! I can't do this, it's only a bit of padding in a battery compartment so I'll let the (above) images explain it all instead!

*mops brow*

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
toshik said:
Can we still buy foam self-adhesive lines same as the original?
What I've noticed on three different BB brands is the fixing of the foam appears to be the same. Have you noticed when removing the old foam there is usually a grotty foam-sized residue left? I'm assuming this to be double sided tape, the pre-cut sponge is stuck onto this - just like I did but without the fancy cover. The double sided tape has very good adhesion and is available in different widths quite easily as is the sponge. Just cut to size. If you can only find narrow tape just double up, it sticks like s**t to a blanket!

toshik

Member (SA)
Mar 1, 2015
St. Augustine, FL
Where can I find that fine double-sided mounting tape? It's also used widely to hold the metal shields etc. The one by 3M sold in most places on white non-transparent base is quite thick. I'm talking about the clear one like classic scotch tape but having adhesive on both sides.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
toshik said:
Where can I find that fine double-sided mounting tape? It's also used widely to hold the metal shields etc. The one by 3M sold in most places on white non-transparent base is quite thick. I'm talking about the clear one like classic scotch tape but having adhesive on both sides.
Just found and ordered some on eBay, just search double sided tape

Fun story :-D This thread may carry over into the " :eek:fftopic: " section :w00t: :lol: :-D :yes:

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Try to find what we call "Snot Tape."

It's extremely thin, almost non-existent, sticks to almost everything, and clear.

Autobody/auto paint supply stores would carry it. Or online.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
I just stole a big, wide roll of thin double sided tape from the wife's scrap booking room - simple and cheap!! :-)

Quick trip to Clark Rubber and picked a scrap piece of foam that used on ironing boards - perfect thickness to match the original battery door foams. Redid all my battery doors except for my new Sanyo M-X720K which of course had a mint factory foam pad! :-)

James... :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.