Crown 850 deck help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
PostEnder said:
Hey, Royce, like our MyOhMy indicated with her reply, that's quite some belt-sizing hack (or "improvisation") that you recommend. Uh, when you speak of "a belt 95% of the length you measured," do you mean an intact (uncut) cassette-deck belt positioned so its uncut strips are straight and parallel, almost touching one another? (Somewhat like what one sees in the image below from the WJOE Radio website):

Or do you mean that the tape-deck belt to be replaced should be cut (obviously no longer usable as tape-deck belt) and laid out flat, with its ends in opposite directions for the measurement?
Are you trying to clarify if the '95%' refers to diameter and/or circumference?

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
MyOhMy said:
Hey, Royce, like our MyOhMy indicated with her reply, that's quite some belt-sizing hack (or "improvisation") that you recommend. Uh, when you speak of "a belt 95% of the length you measured," do you mean an intact (uncut) cassette-deck belt positioned so its uncut strips are straight and parallel, almost touching one another? (Somewhat like what one sees in the image below from the WJOE Radio website):

Or do you mean that the tape-deck belt to be replaced should be cut (obviously no longer usable as tape-deck belt) and laid out flat, with its ends in opposite directions for the measurement?
Are you trying to clarify if the '95%' refers to diameter and/or circumference?
95 to 97% of the measurement you made with the string you used. This is the circumference.

PostEnder said:

Or do you mean that the tape-deck belt to be replaced should be cut (obviously no longer usable as a tape-deck belt) and laid out flat, with its ends in opposite directions for the measurement?
The circumference of the belt. Measure the circumference with a string and use 95% to 97% of that measurement.

Old belts might have elongated a lot, if it is not that elongated then use 95% to 97% of it's length. You can cut and lay flat to measure or use two pencil tips and stretch without elongating it, to measure the diameter.

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Sorry I can't remember the sizes but I bought a range of sizes and found one to be suitable.
I think there is a mid range of size that is right, too tight and you're gonna damage something eventually and too loose it either wont work or will sound shabby. Somewhere inbetween will suffice in my experience.
Nice advice from Royce though if you want the belt to be near as perfect.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
docs said:
Sorry I can't remember the sizes but I bought a range of sizes and found one to be suitable.
I think there is a mid range of size that is right, too tight and you're gonna damage something eventually and too loose it either wont work or will sound shabby. Somewhere inbetween will suffice in my experience.
Nice advice from Royce though if you want the belt to be near as perfect.
Dave, That is correct! I selected one from the 30 pack of assorted belts that fit well without being loose or tight with good fit, then measured it.
~ Royce

Status
Not open for further replies.