Craigslist Aiwa M700

Bloodhound

Member (SA)
Nov 5, 2019
Just picked this up off CL for $30.00.....

My son wants to experiment with making good quality recordings on metal tapes so figured I'd roll the dice. Got a belt kit on order so shouldn't be long. Power button is stuck in the depressed position and is a bit crooked as you can see. Hopefully it's an easy fix. I don't know how "High End" this deck is if at all but the price was right and it weighs about 20lbs LOL! Any suggestions on using it properly are more than appreciated.

0.jpeg

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Nice score with the 3-head deck! I would definitely invest in a good, tape head demagnetizer like the TDK HD-30

https://www.ebay.com/c/1864815485 (not my auction)

I've had one for a few decades now and it still works great.

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
Bloodhound said:
Nice score with the 3-head deck! I would definitely invest in a good, tape head demagnetizer like the TDK HD-30

https://www.ebay.com/c/1864815485 (not my auction)

I've had one for a few decades now and it still works great.
Thanks Fatdog! I have a Sony HE-2.... Does the cassette style demagnetizer work better?
yes....the wand type can trash the heads if used incorrectly

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
That sticker is cool. That way Aiwa could update it when new tapes came out.

Bloodhound

Member (SA)
Nov 5, 2019
Tore into the machine last night. Spent most of our time cleaning melted belt slime which took quite awhile. On the plus side though the inside is very clean. I determined that the power button had been mashed extremely hard because the switch itself does not "catch". It was frozen solid. Hit it with deoxit and it eventually freed up. Unfortunately the damage to the button arm was extensive essentially splitting it at the end. I glued it back together and used a tie strap to reinforce it to help keep it to shape. The power button pushes in and out now with the intended spring action but the switch itself still doesn't lock into the on position. I used a tie strap to keep it depressed. It will always be on as a result but it's no big deal. My son can plug it into the receiver I gave him which has a remote to power itself on along with any accessories. I did look for a replacement on google but got no results.

I also noticed one of the boards is extremely warped. The bottom edge is dangerously close to the transformer. Not sure how I'm going to remedy that just yet. As a result this kicks the top edge of the board to the point where it's almost touching the case cover. I suppose I could run a piece of electrical tape down the length of it to prevent contact. I don't want to stress the board in any way. Other than that I'm tempted to deoxit all the switches and pots as well but I'm hesitant due to inexperience. I'm a "If It Ain't Broke Don't Fix It" kind of guy LOL!They look just like the switches in our Conions so hmmmmm. :)

Regardless, we're going to install the new belts and crack on! :)

1.JPG

2.JPG

View attachment 49064

3b.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

On another interesting note, the Idler Tire is worn and melting. There's a guy on ebay selling a replacement for $20.00!!!!

It looks a lot like a 3 or 4 mm OD piece of automotive vacuum line to me! Gonna go with my hunch and try a piece before I spend that on a tiny piece of rubber!

s-l1600.jpg

Attachments

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
TechnicsDan82 said:
it;s a nice 3 head deck, shame about the lack of Dolby c
Dolby sucks Dude ! DBX is the only way lol

don't use tape much anymore, so i'll let you win that one lad

lol ! i bought a Technics RS-B40 cassette deck with dbx mate shiteee the bed it sounds amazing bro

i have a couple with dbx and some with dolby c, s hx pro etc, never use em lol

TechnicsDan82

Member (SA)
Jul 25, 2018
wales cardigan
Rimmer36 said:
it;s a nice 3 head deck, shame about the lack of Dolby c
Dolby sucks Dude ! DBX is the only way lol

don't use tape much anymore, so i'll let you win that one lad

lol ! i bought a Technics RS-B40 cassette deck with dbx mate shiteeee the bed it sounds amazing bro

i have a couple with dbx and some with dolby c, s hx pro etc, never use em lol

yeah i have a Technics RS-TR474 cassette deck with the headroom extention HX pro to be fair it does sound ****ing amazing and the recording play back is stunning ! check the deck out on Ebay RS-TR474 Technics ! get one man they are **** hot man

i am loving this Aiwa M700 though ! im not that into Aiwa stuff as a rule but this is a really nice deck would not say no to one !

Oh forgot to say the Technics RS-TR474 has Dolby B & C lol