Conion lower tape deck issue..should i buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasatc77

Member (SA)
Jun 4, 2014
New Hampshire
superlew said:
Found this in an old thread:

Conion c100
tape 1
FBM 9.6
SBS 8.9 x 2

From what I remember, one of the 8.9's was a little too big (or was it too small?), but these sizes are very close. I'm pretty sure the flat belt size is dead-on.

Did you check the pin connector near the front, in the middle of the box on the top board? It's hard to see with just the back case removed. That one gave me a lot of trouble in the beginning of my resto. If it's not the culprit, you may need to remove the board and search around for a loose solder joint. Several months after I finished the C-100, I had a solder joint on a transistor start to let go, causing the "machine gun" effect.
You will need to remove the chassis to remove the board, but the chassis needs to be removed to properly clean the pots and switches anyway.

Here's the connector that gave me trouble. The arrow is pointing to the connector between the switches.:

Help.jpg
Thanks for the picture and belt info! It seems to be more in the area of the lower board near the front. Hopefully it will be apparent once I get her apart. Wish me luck! and thanks for all the pointers. Really looking forward to hearing this beast it all of its glory!

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Hi Jasatc77,

Here is another example of what could be the cause of your issues:

I worked on a C100F yesterday that had a 'dead' right channel. After removing the rear case and the RCA input cover, I found that if I wiggled either the amp board or the lower tone board in a certain way, I would hear 1 of 3 things: a low hum, a very loud static noise or a normal operating right channel!

I checked and cleaned every connector and reflowed a few suspect looking solder joints but no improvement was noted. Then, without touching any other component of the two boards, I gently tapped on the legs of the right amp chip. Doing this would cause the right channel to come to life. After reflowing and re soldering the right amp chip, the right channel was now 100% rock solid.

I think the C-100 pounds so hard that stresses do occur over time to those two circuit boards. After checking all the connectors etc, I would be checking every solder joint you can access.

If you can restore sound with some physical movement of the boards, I think it's only a matter of time before you find the fault.

Good luck,

James..... :-)

P.S I'm now a C100 believer - they really are a beast!!

stragulus

Member (SA)
Sep 4, 2014
New York
Whow, what a nice mint box. Good luck on the repair! It's not too hard to work on as long as you make sure you remember where each connector goes by tracing each and every one of them before you unplug them. And cover up the speakers when you work in them! Learned that the hard way :bang:

jasatc77

Member (SA)
Jun 4, 2014
New Hampshire
Thanks, Great advice stragulus, want to keep these speakers thumping hard! And your right, pretty straight forward inside. She is gutted, now to find that damn loose connection!

jasatc77

Member (SA)
Jun 4, 2014
New Hampshire
Ok update time, I had to have surgery on my arm to reattach a bicep tendon I ripped off the bone, (another story for another time) so the conion has been waiting for me to recover. Fast forward to this week, I pulled the chassis out, cleaned the switches and connections, reassembled it, and was happy to find I didn't have any extra wires or connectors left over! Plugged her in and crossed my fingers. She lit up and turned on! Woo hoo! :clap: The right channel sounded much better, but the left channel was silent. :sadno: I tried gently nudging and tapping the circuit boards to see if she would fire up and nothing. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: . I did find that if I turned the mono/ stereo switch to wide however, the left channel would put out some sound. Ok so the amp and speaker are good. I wiggled the balance switch hoping this issue might be there with no luck. S**t. I'm out of Jager, so time to quit for the night. I guess I'll take her apart again and have another look. :-/ :-/ :-/ . While she was apart I took the opportunity to shine her up even more. Cleaned the tuner window, Reglued some of the front stainless metal around the tape 1 buttons that was starting to peel up, and shined the chrome dust caps on the speakers. She is gorgeous and pounds hard when she wants too. :rock: Wish me luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.