Christmas Bombeat present

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceLobster

Member (SA)
Jan 13, 2012
Uppsala, Sweden
Hey y'all.
Bought a Christmas present for myself and thought I'd show it off.
It's a Toshiba RT-9990SM :drool: .Got it from a member in Australia for a good price, thanks Alfie ! It's working fine except the deck, which I'll try to fix later. It's complete and in great cosmetic condition. Real nice design with silver colour, metal details and plenty of chrome :bow: ..
The sound is wonderful, a bit glitchy because my plugs suck, but with nice ones I'd it could be almost M70 quality, deep bass and loud as well. Will compare when I get it back to the UK.
One of the coolest things is that it's a Japan only box so all the writing is in Japanese :rock:.

Here are some pics:
DSCF9568.JPG
Under the Christmas tree..

DSCF9612.JPG

DSCF9576.JPG

DSCF9578.JPG

DSCF9600.JPG

DSCF9605.JPG

Peace & Merry Christmas !

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Yeah those do sound very nice. I still haven't deciphered all the Japanese on mine, lol.

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Nice box that Mr Lobster :-)

By the way I picked up a Cap10 last week so I have a Captain too now....its a great box :-) Only know of one other member who has one.

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
Northerner said:
Nice box that Mr Lobster :-)

By the way I picked up a Cap10 last week so I have a Captain too now....its a great box :-) Only know of one other member who has one.
I'm so glad that you got one! I'm guessing that this was one of the two that were on eBay at the same time; one in the usual section that uses the term "boombox", the other in collectables, R,T & T, radio, transistor. I made offers at both and had neither accepted but at least one of them is still in the family, so to speak. :blush: I have another Boots radio of the period and fancied the Cap10 to keep it company.

Nice buy that man! :thumbsup:

Was it the mint. boxed one with the original paperwork from Boots or the equally nice but not boxed one that you got?

AE_Stereo

Member (SA)
Apr 24, 2012
Abu Dhabi, UAE
superlew said:
Japan box with a tuning scale that goes to 108?!

Mmmmm... :drool:
There are many JDM boxes with FM scale upto 108 and even some with all English lettering too.
Even when controls are marked with Japanese letters, all inside lettering on the dials etc. are in English. Mysterious.

Congartulations SpaceLobster.
Merry Christmas

Retro Addict

Member (SA)
May 12, 2009
England
I love the look of these. :cool: I know that the white dustcaps give it a unique look, but I can't help thinking chrome ones would look a lot better on this model! :yes:

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Beosystem10 said:
I'm so glad that you got one! I'm guessing that this was one of the two that were on eBay at the same time; one in the usual section that uses the term "boombox", the other in collectables, R,T & T, radio, transistor. I made offers at both and had neither accepted but at least one of them is still in the family, so to speak. :blush: I have another Boots radio of the period and fancied the Cap10 to keep it company.

Nice buy that man! :thumbsup:

Was it the mint. boxed one with the original paperwork from Boots or the equally nice but not boxed one that you got?
I've been looking for one ever since seeing the one found by Mr Lobster and not seen a single one for over a year! But as is typical, as soon as I buy mine another one that was boxed turns up!
But I happen to know where the boxed one went too, as I alerted them to it, so they're both forum boxes now :-) Its a cracking machine bought for peanuts :-)

SpaceLobster

Member (SA)
Jan 13, 2012
Uppsala, Sweden
im_alan_partridge said:
Very nice :yes: how does it compare sound wise with other similar sized boxes?
Hey Alan_partridge, I'd say it beats most, at least mine. It beats my Sharp 9000 easily, Crown 850 too, and it even takes a good shot at the M70 ! The Bombeat doesn't go as loud as the M70 but I won't be sure until I get back to the UK, clean it and do some comparing. Overall a very good sound in other words, with massive bass and good volume.

And that's great Northerner ! It sure is a swell box, hope yours is in as good condition as mine, just a beauty to look at ! Also, let me know if you manage to open yours, I haven't been able to yet :lol: ... also :morepics:

Peace

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
Glad it's in good hands, the buyer might like some original Boots guarantee papers and a receipt for one sold at their Prince's Street, Edinburgh branch when new to go with it. Gratis of course 'cos I was only hanging on to those in case they came in handy some day.

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
SpaceLobster said:
Hey Alan_partridge, I'd say it beats most, at least mine. It beats my Sharp 9000 easily, Crown 850 too, and it even takes a good shot at the M70 ! The Bombeat doesn't go as loud as the M70 but I won't be sure until I get back to the UK, clean it and do some comparing. Overall a very good sound in other words, with massive bass and good volume.

And that's great Northerner ! It sure is a swell box, hope yours is in as good condition as mine, just a beauty to look at ! Also, let me know if you manage to open yours, I haven't been able to yet :lol: ... also :morepics:

Peace
Its in really good condition, just a bit of fading on the text on the top. I've opened, serviced and rebelted mine tho...was a bitch to open until you find out that both the front and the back come off!....then it's an absolute doddle to service :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.