Check out these digital car dashboards from the 80s! Disco lights everywhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.

skippy1969

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Baraboo Wisconsin
LOL! Cool.
My wife and I had a fully loaded Chrysler Le baron GTS Turbo that I bought from a guy for $125.00 that had a digital dash and even had voice prompts when there were problems with the car "IE" low washer fluid level or low engine oil pressure etc.....
it was a fun car ,especially for the price......

superlew

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2012
Woburn, MA
skippy1969 said:
LOL! Cool.
My wife and I had a fully loaded Chrysler Le baron GTS Turbo that I bought from a guy for $125.00 that had a digital dash and even had voice prompts when there were problems with the car "IE" low washer fluid level or low engine oil pressure etc.....
it was a fun car ,especially for the price......
My dad had one too - in black.
The car would say, "A door is ajar."
My dad would say, "It's not a jar - it's a door, stupid!"
Hysterical laughter would insue from the little punks in the back seat (That would be my brother and myself). :lol:

Oh, and can anyone spot the Kaboom?

Kaboom.jpg

Great link. Thanks!

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
I got a brand new 87' Chevy Cavalier RS that had a digital dash. Was very cool and that little 4 banger was able to do 135 miles/ hr no problems. My mom had a new 86' Camaro Belinetta with digital dash too. :thumbsup:

Bad Boy Bill

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
My '92 cutlass supreme had digital dash. The entire thing would turn off whil you were driving and you had to hammer-fist the top of the dash and the lights would flicker back on :lol:.

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
I remember seeing the then-new AM Lagonda at the motor show when it came out. The stand demo car's panel apparently worked for the first few minutes, but it looked good:

Small wonder that Joe Lucas products carried the slogan "The Prince of Darkness" since darkness was the default state of most of them, once the smoke had escaped from the circuit in question. :lol:

There used to be an autojumbler who sold "genuine Lucas loom smoke" in glass jars on eBay but sadly, eBay (the humourless badstarts) put a stop to his sales of the stuff. :thumbsdown:

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
blu_fuz said:
My '92 cutlass supreme had digital dash. The entire thing would turn off whil you were driving and you had to hammer-fist the top of the dash and the lights would flicker back on :lol:.
Damn near every GM product I have owned needed the Ol' Hammer Fist for one reason or another :lol:

And here is the new Impala. The gauges are actually video screens and you can move what is on the center screen over to that screen so you can control the stereo or have it as navigation maps, what ever you want.

bklyn sound

Member (SA)
Dec 7, 2011
cool find ....I remember the corvette c4 the first time I saw it reminded me of the arcade game spyhunter.... :lol:

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
chevyman-uy said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb3gYvJpDK0
I remember the 1980s episode of Top Gear where presenter Chris Goffey tested the then-new Austin Maestro which, in VdP and MG forms, came with a digital dash that talked. He managed to put the car on its roof during the test and as he sat there, suspended from his safety belt, the dash kept squawking something about the screenwash level being low or something like that. Original TG was much funnier - albeit unintentionally so - than the remakes, IMHO, and now only one talking Maestro is known to AR Online members. Sooner that thing's dead too, the better!

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
Does it not depend upon the voice though? I mean, if my car talked to me (thankfully none of them can do this) and it had the voice of - say - the late, lamented Kenneth Williams of "Carry On" fame (pictured below and yes, the voice matches the looks perfectly), then one mile down the road and you'd be reaching for the cyanide capsule that came packaged in the sleeve with Leonard Cohen's latest album but if the car had the voice of Gillian Anderson, then you'd take the long way to work so that you could listen to her for much, much longer. Just me then? :blush: ;-)

Ooooh, Matron.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Beosystem10 said:
Does it not depend upon the voice though? I mean, if my car talked to me (thankfully none of them can do this) and it had the voice of - say - the late, lamented Kenneth Williams of "Carry On" fame (pictured below and yes, the voice matches the looks perfectly), then one mile down the road and you'd be reaching for the cyanide capsule that came packaged in the sleeve with Leonard Cohen's latest album but if the car had the voice of Gillian Anderson, then you'd take the long way to work so that you could listen to her for much, much longer. Just me then? :blush: ;-)

Ooooh, Matron.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Totally :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.