Cassette mechanism with 2 motors: RC-M90 and...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorge

Member (SA)
Jul 12, 2017
California
square-2.com
am I the only one who cannot see or link onto skippy1969 photos? (at some point I finally had it with photobucket and closed my account with them, so maybe its just me)

skippy1969

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Baraboo Wisconsin
Jorge said:
am I the only one who cannot see or link onto skippy1969 photos? (at some point I finally had it with photobucket and closed my account with them, so maybe its just me)
Thats because Photobucket doesn't support 3rd party free photo hosting so all my photos are gone on that site. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
Sorry....... :'-(

PostEnder

Member (SA)
Nov 21, 2012
Southeastern U.S.A.
Hi, folks. Early in this relatively brief topic started by member Jorge, member Reli observed that the Philips D8614 and D8634 models each have three cassette-deck motors. Doesn't the huge (and personally good-looking) Philips D8734 also have three motors for each of its twin decks (in addition to a tape counter per side)?

No? Maybe it has two motors per deck then? I'm not really sure; a check of Reli's data entry on WikiBoomBox.com doesn't discover how many deck motors that desirably hulking three-piece stereo has. (Going on YouTube today and again watching a two-minute clip demoing an '8734 and then two six-minute-odd clips of that model doesn't let one know, either.)

Hold on: my February 2017 notes observe Reli stating that the D8734 has three motors per deck but also stating: "Unfortunately, the sound quality of the D8734 is only 'average.' It sounds kind of 'distant'." Perhaps oddly, those statements by Reli were gone from the WikiBoomBox site as of April 9, 2018.

Comments from experienced boombox collectors observe that Philips cassette decks -- and probably Europe-engineered cassette decks in general -- have strange mechanisms prone to breakdown, unlike better-made units designed and built by brands like Aiwa, JVC, Panasonic, etc. (Small wonder the Asian brands have dominated the audio-electronics market over the years.) But will one go far wrong to buy a Philips D8734 that its seller insists is in "Very Good" or "Mint" condition?

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
That Philips, like most Philips, uses plastic decks with plastic gears that often break into pieces. And of course the seller always claims that it "just needs new belts".

I wouldn't recommend it.

Jorge

Member (SA)
Jul 12, 2017
California
square-2.com
I hate being the "Devil's Advocate" here but I do believe that Philips used (now) crumbling gears made from a different plastics (PE?)with an idea to break down onto vibration resonances. Wrong choice of plastic, but I do not think it was an attempt to save a few pennies, as it is done nowadays.......

Just this week, when my Wadia 781, used as DAC for Tidal, was sent for a repair, I opened Chinese USB-to-analog DAC ($25 off Amazon) to recap it for Nichicon FG caps, and had a pleasure of seeing that the solder used in this contraption is not a solder but something which consistently makes "cold joints": a 5-min fix had turned into an hour of a headache!

PostEnder

Member (SA)
Nov 21, 2012
Southeastern U.S.A.
Reli said:
That Philips, like most Philips, uses plastic decks with plastic gears that often break into pieces. And of course the seller always claims that it "just needs new belts".

I wouldn't recommend it.
Hmm ... can a metal or steel cam gear be used to replace a plastic cam gear in, for instance, an Aiwa CS-600U? The repairer who I sent the boombox to states that he has mostly repaired the completely jammed cassette-deck mechanism, but that a "worn plastic cam gear" remains a problem. He notes that the stereo doesn't always rewind on pressing the (originally soft-touch) REWIND key.

Status
Not open for further replies.