Cassette deck issue

Tubejunkie

Member (SA)
May 7, 2020
Miami
Hey guys, been a while since I've repaired anything but I stumbled onto another big Ben. I've replaced the belts but it still has a playback issue. I can't get the mechanism to lift the tape head assembly. I put up 2 YouTube links for reference. I can take more pics/videos if need be. Any advice will be much appreciated, thanks.

Tubejunkie

Member (SA)
May 7, 2020
Miami
No, I don't believe I did. I'll remove the belts tomorrow and give that a shot. I'll post my findings, thanks for the info

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
No, I don't believe I did. I'll remove the belts tomorrow and give that a shot. I'll post my findings, thanks for the info
You want to spin it around with the belts on that way everything just kind of Pops back into place. If anything is bound up or out of sync.

thinkchronicity

Member (SA)
Jul 5, 2018
Surrey, UK
I don't have this model, but i had a goldstar tsr800 with a similar issue. PLAY when pressed would keep popping out - down would come the head assembly. The fix was to first disassemble the lower tape key portion. On mine two screws and the keys mech would be separated from the rest of the mech. Then total disassembly of all the levers and springs in that portion, get all the old grease off. I never re-greased. I also replaced two crucial springs that provide sideways force to a little sliding plate that makes sure the keys don't pop out when depressed. I actually used a spring from a retractable pen cut in half to make those two springs. Everything back together and now solid as a rock. Perhaps too solid as auto-stop seems not to work, but hey, we never leave these vintage beauties alone in a room just playin' away...

Reactions: Tubejunkie

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
Seems like it doesn't want to turn in the first video.
Are the belts the correct length (maybe too tight or loose)?

Tubejunkie

Member (SA)
May 7, 2020
Miami
Seems like it doesn't want to turn in the first video.
Are the belts the correct length (maybe too tight or loose)?
Belts are nice and snug, not too tight. There's a solenoid that's supposed to lift the magnetic head assembly to the bottom of the cassette but for some reason it doesn't want to activate when I press play.

Tubejunkie

Member (SA)
May 7, 2020
Miami
I don't have this model, but i had a goldstar tsr800 with a similar issue. PLAY when pressed would keep popping out - down would come the head assembly. The fix was to first disassemble the lower tape key portion. On mine two screws and the keys mech would be separated from the rest of the mech. Then total disassembly of all the levers and springs in that portion, get all the old grease off. I never re-greased. I also replaced two crucial springs that provide sideways force to a little sliding plate that makes sure the keys don't pop out when depressed. I actually used a spring from a retractable pen cut in half to make those two springs. Everything back together and now solid as a rock. Perhaps too solid as auto-stop seems not to work, but hey, we never leave these vintage beauties alone in a room just playin' away...
Thanks for your insight. I was thinking a complete disassembly might be required, but I'm hoping that'll be a last resort lol.

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
Belts are nice and snug, not too tight. There's a solenoid that's supposed to lift the magnetic head assembly to the bottom of the cassette but for some reason it doesn't want to activate when I press play.
I've never had or seen one that uses a solenoid.
All the ones I've worked on were mechanically lifted by gears.
Is there power at the solenoid when play is pressed?

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
i had one but when the deck jams something blows wish i knew what.....gave mine away to a great member....only good sanyo imho great box

I'm guessing a fusible resistor may have blown to the motor

Last edited:

Tubejunkie

Member (SA)
May 7, 2020
Miami
I've never had or seen one that uses a solenoid.
All the ones I've worked on were mechanically lifted by gears.
Is there power at the solenoid when play is pressed?
I'll have to measure for voltage, I'll give that a shot and keep you updated.

tutanxamon

Dec 25, 2023
UAE
Sorry for hijacking the thread but could someone suggest belts sizes please? I'm trying to fix my newly acquired Big Ben and all belts turned into a goo so I can't measure it.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
You might want to check if there were any Leaf switches in the deck and to confirm that they're actually working correctly.
Floyd is correct! There are several small leaf switches that fall apart and one main leaf switch failure was the problem with my BigBen.