Building the Lasonic TRC-920 "Shelf Queen"

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Transistorized said:
I enjoyed following along and I can relate to this story myself. Mine was the little GE. I never had the original speakers so I hooked that thing up to 2 floor 10s and all kinds of speakers it wasn't designed to run...lol. It's been beat to hell and band-aided so many times it isn't funny. I am sure the radio would play if I got it back out.

You never forget your first box

Excellent job and I am glad you were able to bring this memory back into your life

It would be awesome if you could find any part from your original Lasonic to put on your mint box just to have some part of it being your original machine living on
No chance of finding any parts of that old 920. It's at the bottom of the Sunshine Canyon Landfill, north of Los Angeles. It opened in 1958 and receives 8300 ton's of trash per day or 2.3 million tons per year. That means its under roughly 73.6 million tons of trash. R.I.P. OG 920.

baddboybill said:
Great job Chris!!! I believe the parts unit was the one I sold you close to 10 years ago if I remember.
I am certain some of these parts came from that box. I still have a spare deck, deck keys crash bar, knobs and other various bits. Thanks for your contribution

Reli said:
Congrats Chris! The collection is looking very classy!

Speaking of brittle plastic, I gotta remember to take my 920 apart and line all the body seams with felt tape to reduce all the squeaks it makes when I pick it up. But at least it's better than the black Lasonics!
I didn't have to do that with this one. Maybe because I cleaned all the mating surfaces
I did do that to my 935, 951, 975, HX-4700, J1, Wheely, Rexel and Discolite and it made all the difference in the world.

T-STER said:
What a beauty and your photography is awesome, happy for you bro :)
Thanks T. Most of this box is the one you saw at the first UK meet at Rory's folks place.

Hisrudeness said:
Great pictures.
could you post up the roof terrace pic you took?
Will go up and get some pics

dragonhead00

Member (SA)
Apr 23, 2011
I’ve always found the 920 to be the best-looking of the Lasonics. I’ve even been tempted to buy one. Just gotta finish my JVC collection first. Of course, if I come across a great deal...

Reactions: humpdaymusic