Boomboxラジカセ Creators Exhibition

Status
Not open for further replies.

=ml=

Member (SA)
Jan 10, 2011
E-Rock (Eagle Rock, L.A.)
Happy Holidays Everyone,

If you're in Los Angeles before Jan 4th, check out the Boomboxラジカセ Creators exhibition at the La Luz De Jesus gallery in Los Angeles. Here's the blurb about it:

Boombox, Ghettoblaster, Jambox, Brixton Briefcase, Thunderbox, ラジカセ…

By any name, the boombox was a catalyst for a worldwide revolution in music sharing, art, culture, and design. A touchstone of punk, hip hop, and heavy metal, the boombox is an iconic representation of the youth culture that developed in the 1970s and 80s and supplied a portable soundtrack to celebration and sedition alike. Corner breakdancing battles were won or lost as much by the volume of a crew’s box as their moves. At tailgate parties, the wattage of the boombox in the parking lot was as much a draw as the cars that brought them there. The bigger boomboxes were capable of drowning out every other sound within reach, making them environments unto themselves. What blasted from your box became the symbol of your personality. In walkable neighborhoods, you could hear their slow, ever-loudening approach, and gradual fade, as much a calling card for their owner as the roar of a Harley Davidson. The boombox was instant lifestyle, and the mix-tape culture was born of it. Multiple cassette deck boxes turned every kid into a DJ. Multiple input-jacks allowed for microphones and turned any party into a concert. It was an actual party in a box.

Boomboxラジカセ Creators is a tribute to the boombox and their unsung and unknown creators. This exhibition features original, design blueprints for boomboxes that never went into production, paintings and sculpture inspired by them, photographs from the era, and of course, the boxes themselves. The boomboxes featured hail from three continents and include fully-functioning pieces at a full spectrum of pricing, from a simple, dual cassette Emerson to the same model Sharp HK9000 that Fab Five Freddy donated to the Smithsonian. We’ll also have a set of super dope mix tapes and over 200 great, original, factory sealed cassettes for only $25 each.

Throughout the exhibition, placards name the creators of some of the boomboxes on display and we’re continually searching for other creators. See boomboxcreators.org for more info.

You can see pics of the exhibition here: https://www.facebook.com/matt.kennedy.90281/media_set?set=a.10153760171824719.1073741830.597919718&type=3&pnref=story

I'll post pics later for those of you not on Facebook.

Thanks!

=ml=

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
Inland Empire, Southern California
My family and I we're lucky enough to catch the exhibition last night for the last chance to see this, and we had a great time talkin bout everything boombox. I finally had the pleasure of meeting Boomboxery members Miles =ml= and Matt, mattsonic. We also met Patti Astor, who played the role of the blonde haired reporter in the 80's movie "WILD STYLE". It was a fun night reminiscing about the younger years, and pumpin out the tunes from cassette tapes and the FM transmitter. I look forward to another successful exhibition so that more of the Cali members can attend. Heres some pics for you all, long live the Boombox!!! And a big thank you to Miles and Matt for everything they did to organize this cool event...

Myself, my boy, and my JVC 838 on Hollywood Blvd in front of the gallery2016-01-03 04.11.54.jpg

Myself, my son and Mattsonic talkin shopView attachment 24322

A Boomboxery pose with Patti Astor of WILD STYLE, Miles and my 838
2016-01-03 04.05.31.jpgView attachment 24324
View attachment 24325View attachment 24326View attachment 24330
My son showing some N.W.A. respect
View attachment 24329View attachment 24328
View attachment 24331View attachment 24332View attachment 24333View attachment 24334View attachment 24335View attachment 24336View attachment 24337View attachment 24338View attachment 24339View attachment 24340View attachment 24341View attachment 243422016-01-02 22.28.43.jpg
PEACE!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPW2bSyodIs

howie1976

Member (SA)
Nov 14, 2014
SoCal
These are great pics Steve. I love that you're raising your son in an urban type culture. Although there are a lot of negative things that come out of the hood, there are also great things too like boombox culture. 👍

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Thank you Miles for putting on such an amazing exhibit and thank you Steve for helping to share it with us all.

I stopped by the gallery on New Years day, but they were closed
:bang: :sad: :'-( :-/

20160101_121722.jpg20160101_121744.jpg

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
Inland Empire, Southern California
howie1976 said:
These are great pics Steve. I love that you're raising your son in an urban type culture. Although there are a lot of negative things that come out of the hood, there are also great things too like boombox culture.
Thanks Howie, and you are so right. Even with all the negativity out there on the streets, it was really nice to see all races young and old together that night having a great time and appreciating the hip-hop/boombox culture. :afro:

ralrein1 said:
Really nice pictures,thank you for posting them.
Your welcome, hope you enjoyed em :cool:

Lasonic TRC-920 said:
Thank you Miles for putting on such an amazing exhibit and thank you Steve for helping to share it with us all.

I stopped by the gallery on New Years day, but they were closed
:bang: :sad: :'-( :-/
We all have to make it to the next one Chris, it'll be such a great time. You just happened to go on one of the 3 days out of the year that they are closed :'-( NEW YEARS DAY is one of em :-/

redbenjoe said:
that is absolutely spectacular --THANKS for this ' hall of fame ' thread
Thank you :cool: The best part is being able to share all of this with the rest of the world here on Boomboxery :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.