BIKES & BOOMBOXES

nz boom

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2010
SLO said:
Ohhhhhh WOWWWWWWWW!!! What a great photo nz! Love it! What kinds of bikes are those?

LOL, thanks Toni, glad you and some of the fellas enjoyed the read and pics ;-)
they are all nz made hmx 600/ hmx 500/ 24'' pantha / supersport/ chrome hmx 500

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
Inland Empire, Southern California
JustCruisin said:
Very kool Steve! I vaguely remember that movie RAD when it first came out.. Bikes and Blasters, what a great combo!
Thanks JC :-D Its one of those cult classics of the 80's thats worth owning, along with the 80's skateboard movie THRASHIN :cool:

nz boom said:
well i didnt have one of these untill yesterday :lol: from 1980
001.JPG
I always wanted one of those back in the day, I sucked at math! :lol:

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
SLO said:
Thanks for the big ups fellas, I just like to have fun with it all, makes for some really good times and even greater memories ;-)

Lol, Yea I'm the same way, always busy man :-) But wouldn't have it any other way.

Well since its a sunny day out here, and seeing Alan's bike and boomer pics, it gave me motivation to take the chrome outside and let it do what it does best, SHINE...enjoy ;-)

2015-08-11 15.41.09.jpg
2015-08-11 15.38.26.jpg
2015-08-11 15.51.42.jpg
2015-08-12 15.28.47.png
FuuuuK!! YEah!! That chrome Lasonic & BMX are so damn sexy together. I can picture SLO slowly ridin' down the block with one hand on the bars & the other on that sweeeeet beat box, eyeing the peeps through midnight black oakleys.....

Bam!!

Cpl

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
Cpl-Chronic said:
FuuuuK!! YEah!! That chrome Lasonic & BMX are so damn sexy together. I can picture SLO slowly ridin' down the block with one hand on the bars & the other on that sweeeeet beat box, eyeing the peeps through midnight black oakleys.....

Bam!!

Cpl
Thanks man :thumbsup: That sounds like a scene straight outta Venice Beach :cool: :-D

JustCruisin said:
Oh yeah! That's the one I scored at Goodwill a couple years ago.. :cool:
image.jpg
YES! VHS even :w00t: Thats very cool right there, pop that baby in and adjust the vertical hold and enjoy!

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
SLO said:
Thanks for the big ups fellas, I just like to have fun with it all, makes for some really good times and even greater memories ;-)

Lol, Yea I'm the same way, always busy man :-) But wouldn't have it any other way.

Well since its a sunny day out here, and seeing Alan's bike and boomer pics, it gave me motivation to take the chrome outside and let it do what it does best, SHINE...enjoy ;-)

2015-08-11 15.41.09.jpg
2015-08-11 15.38.26.jpg
2015-08-11 15.51.42.jpg
2015-08-12 15.28.47.png
HOLY SHAIT!

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
Chrome on Chrome on Chrome on Chrome!
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

boomingranny

Member (SA)
May 18, 2015
That's dope. I used to have an old school aluminum specialized fat boy till it got jacked. Cru Jones is Rad!

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
boomingranny said:
That's dope. I used to have an old school aluminum specialized fat boy till it got jacked. Cru Jones is Rad!
Man that sucks, that story sounds all to familiar, I was lucky to never have my powder blue 86 GT PERFORMER stolen from me as a kid. But when I sold it to one of the neighborhood kids (which I highly regret) Some older kid punked him and stole it from him within the first 2 weeks of him owning it :'-( Felt so bad for him.

soundboy said:
Great topic this type of event would get me off the couch lol
These events are an absolute blast!

funktoon

Member (SA)
Aug 26, 2015
with about 10wpc and 5 1/4" speakers rated at just 88dB with their ports plugged, i wouldn't exactly say the system cranked, but it could compete with smaller boomboxes, especially in the sound quality department with sturdier wood cabinets and REAL tweeters that were pretty fast and detailed.

i managed to get a woman sun bashing up and dancing to "play that funky music" from about 100 feet away on a bike path, and, unlike car system owners, had a woman freaking on my leg to "my sharona" downtown once with that system.

it was just that little "15wpc" class D amp underneath the CD player running off 8 AA batteries. at full volume, before distortion, i could get about 5 hours of runtime and sometimes could feel my bike frame vibrate when playing, but it would get drowned out anywhere closer than 50 feet to a nightclub.

the amps, originally called sonic impact are now re-branded by dayton as DTA-1 and cost $30, but they were dirt cheap when they first came out, $15 i think. they were really raved about in hifi magazines when they were still called sonic impact for both how cheap they were and how good they sounded. i wouldn't suggest one though if you're using one as a portable because their cheesy speaker terminals break easily and the rest of the plastic parts are kind of flimsy too, but with a wall wart, they'd be awesome for a desktop system or driving the kinds of high efficiency speakers fans of 1-10wpc tube amps use. you can get reasonable volumes out of 90dB speakers, but you won't shake the walls. some people were swapping sonic impacts for expensive tube amps for the sound quality.

these days, if you want to build a cheap bike system, ou can get even cheaper amps like this Kinter MA-170

for $8.30 or even less. i like buying from parts express ,myself as i've always gotten good customer service from them. small class D amps are generally overrated for power. like the dayon, this one rated 18wpc is probably closer to 8-10wpc. with amps like the kinter and $30 lepais (used to be $20) though, you'd need to build an external power supply.

you can get even more powerful amps though if you just buy the modules and DIY. you should use lithium ion batteries with class D though for their 3v output as especially at higher power ratings, class D amps like 24-36 volts or even more. high voltage makes them happy.

class D amps are tiny and twice as efficient as regular class a/b amps at 80% or better efficiency. i'm surprised that they aren't talked about left and right here by people modding their boxes with class D for more power or efficiency.

i like the sound of class D too... it's generally very crisp and detailed with excellent bass control, but some people who like warmer sounding amps think they sound lean and sterile

the trailer system i want to build though will REALLY crank. i'm planning on using a pair of 2x8" wedges with sweet sounding dayton titanium tweeters for sattelites rated at 93dB on 40-100wpc class D modules and probably putting a 97dB 12" wedge under the trailer pointing down with a 100w amp, all running off just 8 D cell sized li-on batteries at 24 volts. that system should really crank and not get drowned out near clubs.