Bemoaning the loss of the repair shops of the past

DustyK47

Member (SA)
Apr 11, 2024
California
While it's nice to be able to fix most problems with boomboxes (and other electronics as well), I still miss the local repair shops where you could bring in something and they would be able to get it working for you again; as well as order parts for you.

True, all this was before the Interwebs () and the disposable technology around lately. When things were made with pride and quality.

I really miss the main shop that was here many, many years.

Things I think about at night...

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Recently I found a repair shop local to me. He specializes in vintage gear, mostly home equipment. I recently had him repair an 8 track player I bought off eBay. It needed a belt, but also had a leaky capacitor which had eaten a resistor on the main board. It's tip top now. His prices reflet todays norm, so it's hard to justify the repair cost on certain items. He's not particularly fond of boomboxes (have heard that story many times) and told me it wouldn't be cheap to fix them. But I have a few units I may take to him that I just can't seem to get dialed in. The M90, C100 ect are units that would be worth getting that last 5-10% working.