BBDB database / Online database Copyright issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Vancouver
oh i think its worth it if someone is that into it.
i mean dont get me wrong i think the bbdb is a quality product.

now as for knives
i was given this hand made viking dagger replica by a old fan of one of my old bands.
the pomel guard has a pound and a half of pewter in it. its razor sharp and the blade is pattern welded.

its not really my thing but it is amazingly cool. the guy that made this sells these for 800 bucks a piece but i would not pay more than twenty bucks for the thing.

bill

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Vancouver
ahardb0dy said:
I like Spyderco the best, although I have quite a few other brands (over 200 knives total), I also like My Kershaw with the assisted opening and the rainbow coating. I tend to buy unique but mostly brand name knives.
i love the rainbow mirror finish kershaw but i found that knife to be extremely dangerous when using it if there was a tiny bit of moisture on that knife ie even condesation the handle became so slippery it was hard to hold onto.

ahardb0dy

Member (SA)
My uncle used to work for faichild when they were building the A10 thunderbolts ( think that is right the tank killers), one of the veterans there showed him how to make knife blades out of the air craft steel, he made a bowie with a antler handle about 14" long, nice for his first one and gave it to me, I used to use it to trim my banana tree until one day i stuck it in the top of my deck rail and walked away and it came loose from the wood hit the ground and the blade broke off right at the handle, may have not been heat treated correctly.

bill

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Vancouver
ahardb0dy said:
My uncle used to work for faichild when they were building the A10 thunderbolts ( think that is right the tank killers), one of the veterans there showed him how to make knife blades out of the air craft steel, he made a bowie with a antler handle about 14" long, nice for his first one and gave it to me, I used to use it to trim my banana tree until one day i stuck it in the top of my deck rail and walked away and it came loose from the wood hit the ground and the blade broke off right at the handle, may have not been heat treated correctly.
i have thrown this knife hundreds of times and its still tight and true.
the guy who made my knife was a pretty wierd dude. he used to also make samurai swords for people for a whole lot of money. he apparently spent time in denmark learning how to make bladed weapons and japan as well.
getting this weird viking dagger sent to me a few christmases back from japan was pretty bizzare.
i am just glad the dude didnt deliver it in person. :-D

blah blah

Member (SA)
May 8, 2009
deep fluffy powdercountry
Back to the matter at hand knife nuts (i am one too :yes: )

I think the $100 for the BBDB is well worth it if it's worth it to the individual. The level of information seems huge, the work into it massive.

If it's not worth it to the individual it's not. That's pretty much all there is to say about that (per forest gump)

On a second note:
Copyrights should be respected because if it were our work we would expect it.

It is a work that should further be respected because:
1. it isn't available anywhere else
2. is a part of our collective interests both hobbywise and financially if you would ever need to sell the collection you put so much time and money into.

but then again i don't have it. :w00t:

Uncle Ed

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
www.facebook.com
Based on certain logic here why would one have ever owned a set of encyclopedias or even a dictionary if you were not
interested in everything in the whole set and similarly were not planning to read every word of the dictionary. :huh:

For those who were there, probably the two most exciting times on old S2G were when Jen's announced the first availability of the database for sale and when he found the old hidden stash of dozens and dozens of boxes from a collector's estate in Holland or somewhere up that ways.

I think Jens is a phenom for having done this thing.

Proud owner of Ver I to Ver IV....

Has made this hobby infinitely more enjoyable.

monchito

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
pythonville florida
i belive its worth gold that database a lot of time and money go into that its just like your favorite pc or console game most of us are on those games software especially those that will be made year after years titls after title with better grafics and gameplay yet there is no problem buying them every year,, the database is the best way to see every box that we probaly wont see in our lifetime thats my 2 cents :cool: :surf: :ninja:

Status
Not open for further replies.