Backpack Boombox

allan1836

Member (SA)
Nov 29, 2020
philippines
Hi All! It's been awhile since I've been here but I am just excited to post a new find I got yesterday. It's a JVC RS-WP1 backpack boombox from the late 90s I think. It is unique in a sense since it's designed to be literally carried behind the back akin to a school backpack. It's a one piece system which can be powered by D batteries or ac , similar to their Kaboom series. What is surprising , is that , IMHO it sounded better than the Kaboom series, though not much in the lowest bass, which the Kaboom still excel. But from midbass to the highest frequency , this "backpack" sound much cleaner, detailed and more refined. I hope to find similar unit here from other members. JVC backpack boombox front.jpgJVC backpack ads.jpg

Superduper

Member (SA)
I agree with your assessment. Although it's not immediately apparent, under that kangaroo pocket is a cassette deck AND a CD player. It's not as popular as others because it lacks the classic looks and definitely unorthodox in appearance but this unit is definitely not about form over function. Frankly I think it's an engineering marvel. Too bad the idea didn't catch on so much. Still I like this guy so much that when I found a new in box opportunity, I snapped it up. The only thing I'm not too keen on is that it has a huge external brick transformer, although I do understand why they did this. Stuffing that transformer internally would require that the bulk and weight of that transformer will always be built in. Sound wise, it's got that distinct and familiar kaboom tone although to be honest, it does lack the volume that the kaboom is ultimately capable of, at least with regards to the full sized kaboom. That's fine since it also weighs 1/2 that of the kaboom and if you need the full #62 setting of a full sized kaboom to satisfy you, you can always fire up the kaboom. I'm quite attracted to the looks. That it's not too popular is perfectly fine with me.... more for me at a cheaper price, lol.

allan1836

Member (SA)
Nov 29, 2020
philippines
I agree with your assessment. Although it's not immediately apparent, under that kangaroo pocket is a cassette deck AND a CD player. It's not as popular as others because it lacks the classic looks and definitely unorthodox in appearance but this unit is definitely not about form over function. Frankly I think it's an engineering marvel. Too bad the idea didn't catch on so much. Still I like this guy so much that when I found a new in box opportunity, I snapped it up. The only thing I'm not too keen on is that it has a huge external brick transformer, although I do understand why they did this. Stuffing that transformer internally would require that the bulk and weight of that transformer will always be built in. Sound wise, it's got that distinct and familiar kaboom tone although to be honest, it does lack the volume that the kaboom is ultimately capable of, at least with regards to the full sized kaboom. That's fine since it also weighs 1/2 that of the kaboom and if you need the full #62 setting of a full sized kaboom to satisfy you, you can always fire up the kaboom. I'm quite attracted to the looks. That it's not too popular is perfectly fine with me.... more for me at a cheaper price, lol.
I agree also with your comments on this backpack. It's not an SPL king but what sound it produces is quite remarkable. Detailed with full body and punchy bass too. Also , I don't like the power brick it came with because of it's weight and bulk, My solution is I instead use a modern switching power supply similar to those used in laptops with a 12V 5 Amp rating. It's a lot lighter and smaller. Also , instead of D batteries , I tried a 12V powerbank as battery and it also worked for the "backpack". I also connected a bluetooth dongle in the Aux input and enjoyed streaming spotify music via my phone. I am very happy with this discovery and IMHO, the overall performance of this boombox is far better than modern bluetooth speakers on the market.