Awesome Boombox Repair Guide!

BoxBeats

Member (SA)
Apr 19, 2022
Salinas, CA
I used this pdf book to figure out that I have a bad capstan motor. Initially i thought my motor wasn’t getting proper voltage but in circuit it is getting the proper 9V but not moving. Book says it is a bad motor. Part is ordered now just waiting. This book is hella valuable!

Reactions: Northerner

thinkchronicity

Member (SA)
Jul 5, 2018
Surrey, UK
Yeah, old Homer seems to be the only author to include a dedicated chapter on boomboxes in his books. I think he really likes cassette players generally. He also has a BB chapter in the book Troubleshooting and Repairing Audio Equipment - with case histories no less! Not the most thrilling writer, but hey.IMG_20220615_154358.jpgIMG_20220615_154636_burst_01.jpg

Reactions: BoxBeats

BoxBeats

Member (SA)
Apr 19, 2022
Salinas, CA
I used this pdf book to figure out that I have a bad capstan motor. Initially i thought my motor wasn’t getting proper voltage but in circuit it is getting the proper 9V but not moving. Book says it is a bad motor. Part is ordered now just waiting. This book is hella valuable!
Homer was right that was the problem! BUT, now that it works I have discovered that the tiny gear near the idler tire is cracked and won’t advance past the crack. So close!

Did anyone ever 3D print that tiny gear?