Anyone repaire the tapedeck in a Sharp GF-7?

sigmapifsc

Mar 12, 2024
massachusetts
HI Everyone, I have a Sharp GF-7R. It powers on, and the radio works great! But the tape deck is dead. No movement, sound or vibration with play, FF or rewind. Does anyone have ideas on where I might begin? Any videos or links to pictures of someone fixing a similar thing I suspect it is not getting power. That's my working theory.
Thx!
Ethan-

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
First open it up and check if the leaf switches, they might need contact cleaner. One of them is responsible for turning on the deck when the keys are pressed.

BoxBeats

Member (SA)
Apr 19, 2022
Salinas, CA
Sounds like a fun project. You will definitely need to open her up and Deoxit the switches and change some belts most likely. Good luck!

sigmapifsc

Mar 12, 2024
massachusetts
anyone have a good video that shows me how to open and get to the leaf switches to clean them? Either a Sharp GF-7r or a similar one? I'm pretty mechanical, but would hate to make the problem worse with my good old trial and error to get to the switches. I don't even know what they look like!

sigmapifsc

Mar 12, 2024
massachusetts
Hi Gang, okay, I got the sucker open! I don't know what to clean, or test. But, it looks like the motor turns about 1/4 when I switch from radio to tape deck. But when I push fast forward, rewind, or play, the motor does not move.

See the video

Front of tape deck open 2.jpg
back of buttons radio.jpg

And here are a few pictures for others in case you have this radio and want to know what the inside looks like!
IMG_2609.jpg

sigmapifsc

Mar 12, 2024
massachusetts
Progress!! I think... I found what I think is a leaf switch, but not sure. Check out this video. When I push this part, the motor spins! I need to get some Deoxit, and see if cleaning it fixes the problem. I don't get how this switch normally moves. Check out the video

sigmapifsc

Mar 12, 2024
massachusetts
More insight! This is a better lit video of what's going on. I realized that that switch I'm touching sends power to the moter regardless if a tape fastforward, rewind, or play button is pressed. So, somplace else, needs to be cleaned or checked out. But I don't know where!

sigmapifsc

Mar 12, 2024
massachusetts
New
Ok, so I have sprayed and cleaned a bunch of areas... then I put it back together. That was really hard, and the counter and lights in the front are not lined up right, so I'll need to do it again.
BUT... Some progress. See this picture of the top? Where it says "tape" "radio" "line in" So, the way it's suppose to work, is that when it's on radio, the tape deck stops, when it's on tape, the tape player works.

So, now, if I put the switch between radio and tape, the tape deck gets power, but I can still hear the radio. If I pus the switch all the way to radio, the tape player stops moving. So, I'm wondering if the problem is with this switch?

Attachments

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
More insight! This is a better lit video of what's going on. I realized that that switch I'm touching sends power to the moter regardless if a tape fastforward, rewind, or play button is pressed. So, somplace else, needs to be cleaned or checked out. But I don't know where!
That leaf switch is activated when you press play rewind or fast forward so if you check that is being engaged on those functions be looking at the leaf switch is doing when you push the buttons.

sigmapifsc

Mar 12, 2024
massachusetts
Ok people. Could the problem possibly be this capacitor? When the switch is half way between radio and tape the tape has power. When it’s all the way to tape it does not.

also can anyone helped me figure out what that capacitor is so I can order a replacement?

Attachments

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
Ok people. Could the problem possibly be this capacitor? When the switch is half way between radio and tape the tape has power. When it’s all the way to tape it does not.

also can anyone helped me figure out what that capacitor is so I can order a replacement?
Sounds more like the switch needs to be cleaned. If the deck works when the switch is in a certain spot then basically it works. so the capacitor is working when the deck is working. The switch seems to only work when it's in the sweet spot.

sigmapifsc

Mar 12, 2024
massachusetts
Ok a big clue! I found this picture of the “main switch”. This is the switch in my video, that when I push it with a tool, the power goes to the deck.
In the picture, there is a silver or gold curved part near the top.
In mine, that part was loose in the box. But I also found a piece of broken plastic that looks like the picture.
On mine, I can see the switch but can’t access it because one screw is stripped.
But this is what I’m zoning in on!

IMG_2724.png

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2018
Manchester, England
Yes i've had this problem on my Sharp GF7400, that little piece of plastic that rocks the switch from side to side was snapped, so i had to do a DIY Bodge (hack) i just glued it back on, it looked crappy when i did it but it worked, and is still working a year later.. there was a Guy selling them Leaf switches though on ebay, i think he was in Either Germany or Poland, he was listed them for a Sharp VZ but i'm sure they should work on other sharp boxes

sigmapifsc

Mar 12, 2024
massachusetts
This is great! Thank you so much for the insight. I ordered a new one (or a bunch... lol...).
There is one screw that is stripped, it coveres the wheels that the bands go around, so I can't gain access to the switch.

I also ordered a special pair of pliers meant for small screws that are stripped. Then I'll need to replace that screw I think.

If I can get that screw out, I can see about glueing the switch back together. Or, just wait for the new one to come, which will be like 3 weeks away unfortnatly.

Oh well. I also ordered the band replacements. I don't know if they are needed or not, seeing how I have not yet heard the deck play, but I figure, while I'm in there, it can't hurt to put new bands on.

I will keep people posted!

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2018
Manchester, England
Yes Keep us updated.. and yes It's always best to buy 10, because that way you can use just one, then throw the rest in a cupboard some where and forget about them lol.. the guy that was selling the Vz ones wanted 15 euro's each plus shipping. and i'm sure they were the same as the ones in that pack.

sigmapifsc

Mar 12, 2024
massachusetts
Ok, So, I made an attempt to glue the broken "Main Switch" which on the service manual is listed as SW301. I blew it... I used "Krazy Clue" and kind of made it worse. lol.

I ordered from the link on this thread. But.. it will take a few weeks to arrive. I'll update once it arrives. but in the mean time, I noticed the new switch looks the same, but has a longer top. Look at the arrows in the picture. the yellow arrow points to the part that is a different length.

Do people think I will have a problem with the switch with a longer top? Can I just cut them to the correct size? Will it work as is? Look at the pictures of mine, vs. what I ordered on ebay.
First picture is from the Ebay auction, that shows 4 switches. Look how long the top is.
Ordered from EBay Arrow.jpg
The picture below shows my switch, look how short the top is.
Switch short top arrow.jpg

The picture below shows my switch in the tape deck, messy with krazy glue, but look at short the top is.

Switch in deck arriow down.jpg

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2018
Manchester, England
i never used crazy glue i used a small dab of super glue, i held the plastic there for a couple of minutes and it worked. as for the size, i'm sure you can alter the sizes, if its too big you can probably trim it down, and if the new switch is too short i think you could add a bit of plastic to it to lengthen it. use super glue though because it's more tidy and probably stronger as well..
By the way i like the way you are sticking by that little thing where most people would have given up.. it's pretty cool you stayed with it.