Any suggestion to remove knobs on Macdonald box

Status
Not open for further replies.

majestic

Member (SA)
Jul 12, 2009
Texas
Has anybody had the luxury of removing the knobs on a Macdonald Boombox. I gave mine a little tug but they appear to be on there pretty good. I was going to give it a thorough cleaning but I may only be able to clean the outside. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks....... :-D

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
They should slide right off. If the knobs have never been removed, they might need a little more coercing than normal. :yes: I know some knob posts were coated with a gooey compound to keep the knobs from falling off too easily. Over time, the goo sets up a little.

I'll dig out my MacDonald and see if I can remove the knobs on mine.

BRB

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Okay... so I just checked and I was able to remove all of the knobs on the MacDonald. They don't have any goo. The posts are the "split shaft" type similar to the post on the right in the picture below.

Just be patient, and gently but firmly pull them off with your thumb and forefinger. :yes:

majestic

Member (SA)
Jul 12, 2009
Texas
Ok........I was able to get the front cover off........I noticed on the bracket for the transformer it had a white powder and and small amount of rust on it. Similair to battery acid on the springs when a battery explodes........Do these transformers "leak"..? :huh:

I know its a winding but I'm not keen on all types of transformers. I know some batteries leaked in this box as the batt compartment shows signs of this. It's weird how it looks on the bracket....Looks like when the batteries leaked it was on its side and the acid ooozzed down and settled on the bracket and began to eat off the Gold Ano....

Any suggestions??? :hmmm: :hmmm:

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
If the bracket is made of galvanized metal, it's possible that what you are seeing is oxidation.

majestic

Member (SA)
Jul 12, 2009
Texas
Check out the crappy pic......You may be right as I see some signs of liquid inside the case bottom. No where else though....But what is weird is that it looks like it dripped say from the connector ( I know it cant ) but it's weird..........

It's just the white powder...I rubs off just like Acid after it eats at the metal surface. The box works great...Just going to clean it up...

What was the contact cleaner everybody uses for scratchy controls???? :hmmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.