AIWA TPR-990 .Phono/Line-in problem

Megablast_73

Feb 14, 2023
Poland,Warsaw
Hi. I decided to ask for help. Problem with phono/line input. I have just received it. I decided to use it to listen to audio supplied from an external audio source, in this case a computer. Upon opening it, it appears to bear no signs of repair or alteration, and it is possible that it has never been opened before. The radio works OK. In the tape recorder department, everything also looks good, except for the belts, which have melted after many years. Reading about this model, it is said to have one of the most difficult mechanical systems to service without prior experience with it. But that's a topic for the future. The main problem that arose was the effect of connecting it to an external sound source via a DIN connector. It has a phono/line switch to bypass the phono preamp. Everything seems clear. The sound is clear, but very quiet. After the first connection, the sound was very distorted. After opening, vacuuming, inspecting and reconnecting, the sound appeared. Clear, but quiet. set to 100%. I previously used a Hitachi TRK-8800E boombox in the same configuration and with the source volume set at 20% it was perfect. Same RCA/DIn adapter. I suspect that the cause may be the Phono/Line In switch. Or maybe some capacitor type components, etc.? I would ask someone to review the attached service manual for this model and suggest what I should check. My experience with rtv is not very advanced, however, it is not bad I have basic equipment. Multimeter, soldering irons with various blades, etc. With help I am able to diagnose the problem. How about omitting the Phomo phono preamp altogether to simplify the solution to this problem? I'll just use the line input. Ok... Sorry for language errors.I use online translator. Please let me know what to check. I attach the schematic diagram. I can email the full service manual .Thanks and best regards

Attachments

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
Din pinout can be different from box to box. You can hot swap the connections to get the best sound although remember it is a very low input and has limitations. you can purchase Phono adapters to go from Line level to Low Phono input.

hghareeb

Feb 28, 2023
Kuwait
As far as I remember when I connect my 990 to laptop, Phono was sounding low but line-in was OK or the opposite I dont recall However im sure one of the line-in was low, I wasn't using it to listen through, I was recording from my digital media on the laptop to tape.

Megablast_73

Feb 14, 2023
Poland,Warsaw
Hi!.The problem is solved.The cause was dirty switches on the board.Mainly the Phono/Line-in switch and DIN socket (sulfides and oxides).Fixing cold solder joints.Also a poor quality 10 meter Jack-RCA cable. But also it turns out that different models of boomboxes need different power of signal delivered to Line-In.In my case I was confused by the comparison to my Hitachi TRK-8800E.
Thanks and Greetings