Aiwa CS-600 Questions

soundslikespace

Member (SA)
Feb 1, 2024
Texas
I just got a Aiwa CS-600 that is in great condition on the outside. The eject button works. But the tape deck does not spin when I press Play, FF or Rewind. I plan to take it apart and try to replace the belts. Can anyone tell me which belts to buy, or does anyone sell a belt replacement kit for this model?

Also, it sounds like the motor for the tape mechanism keeps running any time it is on, even if it is in Radio or Line-In mode. Is that normal with this model? If not, does anyone know how to fix it?

Other than that, it just seems like it needs some contact cleaner sprayed on the controls when I take it apart.

skippy1969

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Baraboo Wisconsin
Have you worked on the model before?

How do they compare to other popular boomboxes like the JVC RC-M70, etc? Much more difficult?
It's a more difficult unit to work on because unlike other units that have plug in components Aiwa has a lot of hardwired components.
I've worked on a lot of Aiwas. This one is not terrible to do.
Hope this helps you out.
Here's mine.

Last edited:
Reactions: soundslikespace

soundslikespace

Member (SA)
Feb 1, 2024
Texas
Looks great!

I don't have much experience reading schematics or troubleshooting with a voltage tester.

But I have some good experience working on guitar pedals and a few music keyboards. I know how to do basic stuff like de-soldering old buttons and soldering new buttons in place. So hopefully I don't run into anything too difficult.

My belts just arrived a couple days ago. So I will probably start taking it apart before too long. I'll try to take lots of pictures.

Last edited:
Reactions: skippy1969

soundslikespace

Member (SA)
Feb 1, 2024
Texas
It's a more difficult unit to work on because unlike other units that have plug in components Aiwa has a lot of hardwired components.
I've worked on a lot of Aiwas. This one is not terrible to do.
Hope this helps you out.
Here's mine
If you listen closely to yours, does it sound like the motor for the tape mechanism keeps running any time it is on? Even if it is in Radio or Line-In mode?

It seems like something I need to try to troubleshoot and fix on mine. But I don't want to waste time trying to fix that problem, if anyone else can confirm that "they are all like that - it is working as designed".

skippy1969

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Baraboo Wisconsin
If you listen closely to yours, does it sound like the motor for the tape mechanism keeps running any time it is on? Even if it is in Radio or Line-In mode?

It seems like something I need to try to troubleshoot and fix on mine. But I don't want to waste time trying to fix that problem, if anyone else can confirm that "they are all like that - it is working as designed".
No the motor does not run all the time. The reason your motor is running is because the cassette mechanism is stuck in the play /ffwd /rewind position. If you spin the flywheel by hand the mechanism will reset and the motor will shut off. :)

Reactions: soundslikespace

soundslikespace

Member (SA)
Feb 1, 2024
Texas
No the motor does not run all the time. The reason your motor is running is because the cassette mechanism is stuck in the play /ffwd /rewind position. If you spin the flywheel by hand the mechanism will reset and the motor will shut off. :)
Awesome! Thank you!

I just have a very small space to work on stuff, so it is good if I can take it apart and get it back together quickly. I've just been trying to get as much information as I can before I start taking apart. I do have the schematics, and a few pictures and videos of other people working on them. Your advice here helps a lot to know what to look for! I'll probably start on it Monday.

Last edited: