Aiwa CS 500 E Belts

Connor Halliday

Apr 16, 2023
Edinburgh, UK
Hi!

I picked up an Aiwa CS-500 E for a bargain price at a car boot and would like to get it up and running again.

Does anyone know which belts I'll need (looks like two square, one flat), where I can get them, and have any advice for the repair in general as I've never done one!

I'm also concerned the motor may have burnt out as it doesn't seem to soin at all? Might just be glued up with the now liquid belts.

Thanks all,
Connor

Attachments

skippy1969

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Baraboo Wisconsin
I looked through my CS500 manual and it does not tell the belt part number or size.
So then I checked my Aiwa MD3 cassette mechanism manual "which is the model of yours and several other Aiwa models".
No sizes there either.
But I did find a common size for two of the belts.
Flat belt Aiwa part # 82-585-287-01 says its a FRY10.0
Square belt on flywheel. Aiwa part # 82-585-336-01 says its a SCX7.4.
The tape counter varies from model to model, so you'll need to measure to find that out.
If I were you I would just do what I do and buy yourself an assortment of flat and square belts from Ebay or Amazon so you can have different ones handy to find the exact fit.
Hope this helps.
If you get tired of your CS500, send it to me.
I have been after one for years.
Cheers!
Scott.

Reactions: Northerner

Connor Halliday

Apr 16, 2023
Edinburgh, UK
Cheers Scott!

That's a huge help.

Do you have an electronic copy of the cs500 manual? Im reluctant to try and remove the mechanism without one. The MD3 manual is available for free online so knowing that is very useful. It doesn't look as though you have to dismantle it too much to fit new belts.

Do you know the best way to test the motor? I don't really want to go to the pains of cleaning out the tar and replacing the belts only to find the motors a dud.

I've asked for a quote from a local repair shop too.

Will keep you in mind if I get fed up.

Where in the world are you? It cost me £7

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Well worth the effort or cost of fixing as these are super rare and go for good money. I rebelted my first one but I just fit whatever fits best, bit of trial and error. Not done my second yet. Took me a long time to find these! So £7 at a car boot is insane! 8A993F79-0EEC-44B2-B3BB-6B5F5CD2E997.jpeg

Connor Halliday

Apr 16, 2023
Edinburgh, UK
Well worth the effort or cost of fixing as these are super rare and go for good money. I rebelted my first one but I just fit whatever fits best, bit of trial and error. Not done my second yet. Took me a long time to find these! So £7 at a car boot is insane! View attachment 56911
Any tips for checking the motor Northerner? Or just disassembly in general? Still debating having a go myself.

Reactions: skippy1969

skippy1969

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Baraboo Wisconsin
No Problem Connor!
I do have a manual but I bought it online but as part of an agreement with the seller a member here I can not share it.
The best way I found to clean up the gooey belts is with isopropyl alcohol or acetone.
I appreciate keeping me in mind if you ever want to sell it.
I live in Baraboo Wisconsin U.S.A.
Thanks mate!!