Adding line-in to Wards Airline GEN3996 boombox

sunshine_ax

Member (SA)
I've just gotten one of these for Father's Day. My wife is amazing! I'm looking forward to getting into this one :)

I got mine and I've been cleaning it up. I'd LOVE to do this mod. Is there a video of this? Do you still do these mods for people?
Here's what I get when I try to watch the video. I was wondering, on your mod, when you plug something into your new port does it just play on the speakers without having to switch anything? I've noticed that there isn't a switch anywhere for the aux in functions. I get it that the tape deck is required to make that work. My tape deck is just shutting off every time I push down the PLAY button. So, the record and play won't work either.

I've cleaned up the pot's so it isn't making that hideous scratchy sound anymore and the stereo is tuning in to stations beautifully now too. Very happy with the sound and MY GOD it's a beautiful box. I LOVE when they have their controls on the front.

I'm trying to be more tech savvy and understand this stuff. I've really gotten out of my comfort zone with these artifacts and have learned so much already.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Attachments

Superduper

Member (SA)
The mod switches out the radio for the aux-in. In other words, on radio mode, simply plug in an external source and it will play instead of the radio. It’s probably best to have a local tech do the mod for you. Shipping costs in recent years have really escalated to where it becomes impractical to ship an item like this for remote repair or mods. For this mod, tape function is not necessary unless you want to see the led meters illuminated because those meters are for tape function.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Superduper said:
The mod switches out the radio for the aux-in. In other words, on radio mode, simply plug in an external source and it will play instead of the radio. It’s probably best to have a local tech do the mod for you. Shipping costs in recent years have really escalated to where it becomes impractical to ship an item like this for remote repair or mods. For this mod, tape function is not necessary unless you want to see the led meters illuminated because those meters are for tape function.
If you insert a blank tape and press Record, the meters will work. You don't need to press Record + Play on this box.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
mellymelsr said:
When mine powers off the power led goes off as well.
On battery mode it powers off and so does LED. Deck works good on battery mode but FM doesn’t come in. On AC everything works but LED don’t shut off when power is in off position