AC Plug Types

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Beware of cheapo Ebay cables. $3 and free shipping? OK but it'll feel like a wet noodle.

TW5

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
Number 5 can be used as a universal test cord
if that does not work than look for the right one
also a good replacement cord should push the switch that are in some units.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
Many thanks, hopey, the second one looks more like it to me.

My Aiwa CA-100H (Stereo 100 Carry Component System) accepts a plug the same as/similar to the second type in you pics. I have the original and correct mains lead with this plug and a second box of the same model is on it's way but it may or may not have the same connector or a standard figure of eight type connector.

Along the mains lead I already have is printed:
'JIS', '12-5500-1', 'wire mold';

The actual plug is marked:
'HIRAKAWA', 'IA-250V' (or 1A-250V), 'VMOI25A' (or VM0125A).

The two connection holes are spaced closer than a standard figure of eight plug type:
DSCF3383sfw.jpg

An extensive internet search has provided no results so far..

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
JVC Floyd said:
Norelco razor cords work perfectly for the pins that are closer together than a normal cord.
"Cor blimey, Guv - lateral thinking at it's best!"

Oddly enough, I have a small box of of all manner of connectors and, behold, therein lay such a shaver cord of unknown origin that has been overlooked, unused and almost forgotten about for something like 30+ years. IT WORKS!!! Thank you so much for the suggestion, this is something I would never have considered. :yes: :rock:

jronyc

Member (SA)
Mar 10, 2018
NYC
I don't see this one, and I haven't been able to find one either! For my Sanyo MT-4200. I've attached a pic of the female portion on the back of the box and the front.. If anyone knows of one, I'm all in! Thank God it works on batteries!

Attachments

xtlc

Member (SA)
Oct 1, 2018
Picture of AC plug of a JVC Nivico 9403LS from 1973 attached.
My problem: I don`t know how to find a cord for it - what search words to use.
JVC_Nivico_9403LS_connectors.jpgJVC_Nivico_9403LS_mini.jpg

Alfi

Oct 22, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Does anyone know if any of these plug types have official names? I need a few #2 plug power cords, are they available on ebay? I don't know what to search for.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
xtlc said:
Picture of AC plug of a JVC Nivico 9403LS from 1973 attached.
My problem: I don`t know how to find a cord for it - what search words to use.
JVC_Nivico_9403LS_connectors.jpg
JVC_Nivico_9403LS_mini.jpg
Hint: Try searching the internet of past and current sales of the radio/BB then make enquiries from positive results, some cables have the manufacturers's name and/or model details on them.

Alfi said:
Does anyone know if any of these plug types have official names? I need a few #2 plug power cords, are they available on ebay? I don't know what to search for.
Maybe ask for owners of this cable to state the make & model number of any audio items that this particular cable fits as a stater to sourcing one for yourself?

fyj2972

Member (SA)
Nov 29, 2011
california, usa
I know this is a pretty old topic But its very interesting. About that SONY mini plug(Fig 8). I just dig out some info and would like to share with BBX brothers.
SONY p/n 1-534-840-00(01)
DK-38 power cord
Pin spacing is 5mm

DSCN9581.JPG

Last edited: