Status
Not open for further replies.

mmcodomino

Member (SA)
Mar 5, 2010
Berlin, Germany
www.myradio.berlin
Well, I did it. I bought a Basswurst.

This JVC RV-NB1 popped up on eBay Germany 2 weeks ago for a very low BIN and i decided to buy it to pass it on to someone who could actually use it later on.
Today I got the package and just quickly wanted to test it to see if everything works.
I had heard a RV-NB99 before some time ago and was not overly impressed with its rather muffled and unprecise sound. Now, this NB1 blew my mind once I switched it on.
I have to say that I now truly see the Boomblasters as a part of the group of classic boomboxes.
After all, they are already older than 10 years by now.
In conclusion these are probably the youngtimers of the boombox scene. They are not crappy by far like many eggs nowadays and deserve their place in boombox history.
Anyway, this one will stay in my collection as it is in very good shape, fully working and just needs some cleaning.
I never saw this day coming after hating these units for years but I am officially a Boomblaster fan now.

Oh, and just to make this a little bit more controversial: Yes, this RV-NB1 smokes every single vintage boombox soundwise. :angelic:

IMG_4386.JPG

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
mmcodomino said:
Oh, and just to make this a little bit more controversial: Yes, this RV-NB1 smokes every single vintage boombox soundwise. :angelic:
Smokes them in terms of bass, definitely. But, its mids and highs are imprecise and distant, IMO.

mmcodomino

Member (SA)
Mar 5, 2010
Berlin, Germany
www.myradio.berlin
Reli said:
Smokes them in terms of bass, definitely. But, its mids and highs are imprecise and distant, IMO.
It does neither have the treble of an M90 nor the ambience sound of a 5350, agreed. But it is a pretty good allround package.
I would love to hear Superduper's 3-way mod...that one must sound incredible!

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Great thread Max.

There have been some great write up's here on Boomboxery explaining the evolution of these and everything I have read points to the RV-NB1 as the one to collect.

I was lucky enough to have experienced Superduper's modded Raccoon-Kaboom and it was impressive. The only other time I really heard one unleashed, was while I was in Japan, a car dealership had one outside PUMPING and the thing I was most impressed with was the fact that in open air, outside the bass was heard and felt. No classic blaster can do that.

And your right, 10 years on, they have their place in the evolutionary chain of portable music system, JUST DON'T CALL IT A BOOMBOX! :annoyed:

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
I think the DP100/200 is the one to get, because it has adjustable mids/highs/lows, plus the disco beats and drum pad.

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
Inland Empire, Southern California
I've been tempted to pull the trigger and add one of these to my collection, but I have never heard one in person. I have always heard that they pound some bass. I guess its the "look" that's been holding me back because I like chrome and shiny accents on a boombox. Maybe after I hear one I'll change my mind...

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
SLO said:
I've been tempted to pull the trigger and add one of these to my collection, but I have never heard one in person. I have always heard that they pound some bass. I guess its the "look" that's been holding me back because I like chrome and shiny accents on a boombox. Maybe after I hear one I'll change my mind...
With ya there man, nothing going on in the looks department, but given that it sounds so great it would be a nice box to haul around and not have to worry about getting scuffs and dings, like at big outdoor events with lots of people in various stages of drunkenness.

Zippy

Member (SA)
Sep 21, 2010
Hannover, Germany
Well said, Max. I made a similar point a while ago. And while I don't have a Kaboom (yet), I will gladly add one to my collection. They are powerful, portable and sturdy. And while they don't express that with lots of chrome or VUs, their rugged look definitely says 'watch out'.

milosancho

Member (SA)
Jun 2, 2009
Central Coast, California
I love my Kabooms, I have 2. One of them I painted blue (following superduper's footsteps) and the other I modded with tweeters. The addition of the tweeters brought out the highs nicely. I would call these boomboxes, in every sense of the meaning (IMO). There is no other box that I've hear that comes close to the sound produced by these.

I wish another "traditional" type of boombox would have the same power that these do.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
if the **** is loud enough to annoy people that's good enough for me. i hate these ****ing things but i still want one of the og kabooms just for the hell of it. and only if it's cheap or free. would not be so bad if i didn't have custom boxes that would run it out of town on a rail. not too much room for weakness on battle ship row.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
oh i had one of the smaller kaboom's what a piece of crap. i gave up on them boom tube things 20 years ago when people were crazy for bazooka tubes , i tried one and it sucked! . these things do make some bass especially when they meet a 6 inch thick slab of re enforced concrete and an un happy owner.$ 10.00 down the toilet . don't mind me my opinion don't matter anyway lol.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
JVC Floyd said:
oh i had one of the smaller kaboom's what a piece of crap. i gave up on them boom tube things 20 years ago when people were crazy for bazooka tubes , i tried one and it sucked! . these things do make some bass especially when they meet a 6 inch thick slab of re enforced concrete and an un happy owner.$ 10.00 down the toilet . don't mind me my opinion don't matter anyway lol.
So how do you really fee about kabooms? :-)

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
i know i suck man . i don't know how i get myself worked up over **** i don't even care about . sorry folks ignore my comments .

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
-GZ- said:
Raccoon-Kaboom? I was not aware such a creature existed. Tell me more.
Here is Norm's thread

Reli said:
I think the DP100/200 is the one to get, because it has adjustable mids/highs/lows, plus the disco beats and drum pad.
OK, I will keep my eyes peeled. Thanks Hans
You know, if you like to display your radio's, use an FM transmitter to play them all at once, adding a Kaboom to the room will fill out the sound curve. I have been using my Lasonic TRC-975 for the purpose for years. The LBS is INSANE and it works like a subwoofer for my other radio's

JVC Floyd said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ah yes, the very best Boomboxery has to offer right there
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You slay me Floyd

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
The thing about the Kaboom is.....there is no way you're getting the full effect on batteries. It's just like the Telefunken, you gotta use AC if you're all about that bass.

Status
Not open for further replies.