656 No Sound!:(

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
Hi,having a issue with my HVC 656-JW. All powers up,all lights and tape deck functions work fine. Just hardly any sound coming out of right speaker with volume on full. I hear so cracking a little when I switch on & off or on volume a little. Yes no sound on headphones,same just slightly on right side.
Opened it up and dusted it with compressed air to. Line in no sound either.
Any suggestions? Power supply seems good,guessing it could be component on output?
Love this Radio was working great a few months ago.
One note: Radio was in shed for a few days and it was damp in there. Seemed like it wS acting up a little like it was like this then after it was warm and dry it worked fine again.
Please any help would be greatly appreciated!

DPaignall

Member (SA)
Dec 8, 2019
Sounds like the record bar as it's effecting everything. Give it a good soak in contact cleaner and plenty of switching to remove any corrosion caused by damp.

Reactions: Ghettoboom767

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
Yes need more info as to what you have tried before going looking in the service manual.
Hi Docs,I haven’t opened up the circuit board to look at all the components. Just looked visually nothing looking bad.
I did try to wiggle all switches,did all of the things I used to do to get it going but like I said barely hearing any volume in right speaker when volume is on full. Volume works as I hear it go down to mute as I lower it down.
I guess I’ll try line-out next.
Any suggestions? I’m guess the first thing I should do is do a through visual inspection of the circuit board components and go from there. I’m sure power supply is good as all lights cassette motor and all things seem to have power. Thanks for replying Doc,my tracing skills aren’t the best but I do have a decent digital voltage meter,but that’s about it.

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
Hi everyone,I did forget to say I did checked the headphone jack and it’s the same. I also ran it on batteries no difference. I don’t have any de-oxit but I’ve wiggled switches back in forth and no change.I’d think I would get more something with the volume way up,just seems like possibly it could be more than dirty switches or pots but yes I do know it still could be the culprit. I do notice it does have a pop on the right speaker when I turn it off no matter what volume is.I did check the deck and the led’s are not lighting up.No sound at all but cassette working fine. Like I said on a FM string station at full I can barely hear it on right speaker.

Tonight or tomorrow night I’ll check the line out and take photos of the circuit boards and examine closely and I’ll post them here.ill also try the record bar,I didn’t think of that-thanks !
Thanks for all the help.:)

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
Upon further working the controls and trying the record bar several times I’m getting very faint sound on both sides,not any louder but it’s sounding barely on both sides now.
I so wish I had some de-oxit right now but I’m not really around where I can get some plus working barely so it might be 2-3 weeks. I guess food & bills are more important right now but I’m hoping I may be able to get a deal online somewhere.
Photos & line out testing tonight.

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
Ok now that it’s been plugged in for a while but the power off it’s now working normally for like 1-2 minutes then fades off slowly back to like it was. Yes this is something. I do still have to flip the board and examine but like I said it’s doing something now. Yes cassette working to with lights then it to fades off. I’m just going to leave it plugged in overnight and do further testing and board examination.:)

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
I did also work the controls more and the record function to. I’m wondering if this is helping or leaving it plugged in or both. More progress hopefully by tomorrow night.:)

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
Update: Tried again to use it to test yesterday morning,worked again for 3-4 minutes and faded out again. I just had left the unit plugged in but power off. Now it won’t get loud again,still hear sound very faintly.

Line out does work as I can hear the static and very faint sound from it.
Now I’ll take photos of the board next and examine.’
Frustrating,but I do know humidity does factor in as to when it doesn’t work. Bad resistor? Bad cap? The Boombox was in a moist shed for a few days. Hope this helps.

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
I can’t believe I forgot to get de-oxit! I still need to soak and clean the function and record bar on this,it’s still the same,forgot about this project. I’ve been away from the hobby lately.

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
I can’t believe I forgot to get de-oxit! I still need to soak and clean the function and record bar on this,it’s still the same,forgot about this project. I’ve been away from the hobby lately.
Jeff I would suggest cleaning the function switch. if I remember correctly the function lever is on the top but the actual switch is inside the box on the PC board. it looks similar to an AC/DC switch.

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
Jeff I would suggest cleaning the function switch. if I remember correctly the function lever is on the top but the actual switch is inside the box on the PC board. it looks similar to an AC/DC switch.
Hi Floyd,yes this is true as I’ve had this apart but stupid me keeps forgetting about de-oxit! I’ll get this asap. Just been thinking about other things these days.
Hope your doing good Floyd!

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
Jeff you can buy some CRC electronic spray cleaner at any auto parts store and even Home Depot or Lowe's and that stuff does a good job it's only about 6 bucks a can it's easy to find.