100v work in north america?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skippy1969

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Baraboo Wisconsin
Kenpat said:
A sad attempt at a joke, I'm sure it was. It was uncalled for.

Any Mod around? This should be taken down. The sooner the better.

I apologise, especially Skippy. While I may have offended many, you're the one I insulted.

I'm sorry.
It's cool Ken........ ;-)

AE_Stereo

Member (SA)
Apr 24, 2012
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Reli said:
Of course, that's because I usually use max bass and treble all the time, and Loudness on.
So I am not alone!
And I hate when there is only a Tone control and the worst case - One tone control with Bass and Treble at the opposite ends!

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
AE_Stereo said:
So I am not alone!
And I hate when there is only a Tone control and the worst case - One tone control with Bass and Treble at the opposite ends!
Yeah, tone knobs are useless, you have to leave them on max high (treble) or else they sound horrible.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
My Hitachi TRK-9140E was a non selectable 220v import from years ago and has been operating on 240v ok all these years. After reading this thread., I decided to change over the 240V transformer from a parts box this morning for interests sake - no change to the units' operational but a fun little project anyway!

James

Superduper

Member (SA)
Analog circuits have wide operating voltages but digital circuits have very exacting voltage requirements. Also, anyone that understands ohms law knows that a higher voltage supplied to a fixed resistance will result in proportionally greater current consumption. This extra current may be sunk without issues manifestation for years. Or not. Either way, in my opinion, this is another case of roll the dice and see. Most of the time, nothing blows. Once in a while, something will give. Up to you if you want to risk it. No way am I prepared to suggest a blanket "no-prob" to anyone else though.

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
My Victor M70 is my only 100v box and when plugged in makes a nice humming noise from the transformer, so because of this I choose to use batteries only on this boombox. No noise no problems and it gets plenty loud!

Ken

Member (SA)
Aug 30, 2009
Bremerton, WA, USA
On my Victor 100v Boomblaster Kaboom you can hear the volume max out at about the 30 setting...then it seems to get attenuated & all fuzzy sounding... :thumbsdown:

Needless to say I didn't play it above 5, before installing a regular 110-120v transformer. Now it cranks! :rock:

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
skippy1969 said:

I apologise, especially Skippy. While I may have offended many, you're the one I insulted.

I'm sorry.
I plugged my 100 volt gf 535/9000 in and had no problems so far , I got a tired of always using batteries so I said **** it .I haven't noticed any sound issues so far.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
JVC Floyd said:

I'm sorry.
I plugged my 100 volt gf 535/9000 in and had no problems so far , I got a tired of always using batteries so I said fark it .I haven't noticed any sound issues so far.

Hi Floyd, I have the same 535 and never hooked it to US voltage (120- 129V). I checked the line voltage and it was showing 129V. I bought a AC to AC step down transformer and using it now. I don't want to take any risk

Status
Not open for further replies.