so what box you have has the best tuner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Vancouver
after one week i can honestly say the old sankei box i scooped last week the stereo one thousand has the best tuner of all my boomboxes. i thought the jvc m70 and sony fh7 were pretty cats ass but the tuner on this old 1970s box is just outstandingly good. dont know what the magic is behind it but man is it ever good. even the shortwave reception on that box is excellent. am reception is also outstandingly good.
i can see why these were expensive back in the day. the fm just is so clear and there is so much detail to the sound even tho this is not a super loud box the sound is really good on fm reception. the add says looks portable sounds console. not quite but the radio is incredibly good.

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
good topic - :hmmm:
my MacKenzie :-) (WX1) gets stations clearly... indoors with the antenna down,
that my other grails have never heard outside.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
My 777H is far superior to any other boxes including the 777Z. My next best would be the Pioneer SK-550.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
My 777z does a really good job. It has a fine tuning knob that helps dial them in. Also, my crappy little Montgomery Wards AIRLINE. It has some nice LED tuning lights that help you get it on the station.

I live in the mountains in the middle of no where and only a few stations come in clearly on most radios, but those too do the best.

petergriffin

Member (SA)
May 11, 2009
The Big Ben for me. I'm in Toronto, and I can clearly pick up several Buffalo stations :-) And the FM Stereo sound is amazing.

bill

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Vancouver
petergriffin said:
The Big Ben for me. I'm in Toronto, and I can clearly pick up several Buffalo stations :-) And the FM Stereo sound is amazing.
yeah peter that era of sanyo saw some really good portable radios. i am sure that the big ben is a amazing tuner.

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
Both my JVC PC-55's are quite incredible!! The M-90 isn't bad either! :-P
Yes,my Sharps are nice also-9191X,8989II,and especially on AM The GF-9797!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Getting WCCO AM Minneapolis and I'm 850 miles away,now that I like!! I'm in Tn.!!
Nice thread!
Have a great time a boomin this weekend-GB. :-) :yes: :surf: :thumbsup: :cool: :choco: :breakdance: :agree: :surf:

monchito

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
pythonville florida
well my panasonic 5050 is the best up to now its the only box thats can pick up a spanish station thats in miami from in my room none of my other boxes can get it as its a very weak station unless you are in the car...... :yes: :yes:

Master Z

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Toledo, OH!
My JVC's sweep at the podiium and take first second and third place for tuners in my collection.
PC-11, M70, and M90. Honorable mension goes to a box I owned before the Panasonic 5085, a great midsized that is missed. :cool:

bill

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Vancouver
neko said:
My sony ICF-6800W. Really good one. Should i consider it as box too?
those are very nice radios but not so sure about it being a boombox . i mean does it have a tape deck.
i would love to have one of those you are lucky to have one.

manimal347

Member (SA)
May 14, 2010
Definitely the RX-5600. It gets the whole college dial in with no antenna, something an M-70 struggles to do with zipcord running to the antenna jack on the back. An honorable mention goes to my MI Master Blaster, which actually picks up well on FM even with no antenna. And yeah, I need to buy some antennas for my boxes. It's just wasn't on my priority since school was out and the dial was thus dead below 92.

neko

Member (SA)
Aug 18, 2010
Poland
bill said:
neko said:
My sony ICF-6800W. Really good one. Should i consider it as box too?
those are very nice radios but not so sure about it being a boombox . i mean does it have a tape deck.
i would love to have one of those you are lucky to have one.

Mine dont have tape deck :(. But i know there are some with tape deck.
Friend gave me this one

Superduper

Member (SA)
I tried to avoid this whole discussion altogether because the problem is that we are talking about 30 -35 year old radios. My guess is that very few, if any remaining actually continue to perform to original specifications. I have some radios whose reception seem terrific yet another example of the same model performed subpar at best. Therefore, unless we are talking about machines that were retuned, aligned, and repaired to operate as originally released when manufactured, this discussion is rather meaningless.

Below, I will show a few tuners from boomboxes that I have worked on. Let me just say that of all the boomboxes I opened up, only 2 had metal ganged variable capacitors. The rest were ALL small plastic boxes with plastic vanes. I can't speak to what it means in terms of actual performance as I've never quantified the actual performance levels, but I can say that both of the boxes that have the metal ganged varicaps were top performers. This is not to say that metal variable caps necessarily always work better. There is no question, however, that large metal ones are far and away much more expensive in manufacture and I do believe however that in designing the tuners, the choice to use significantly higher quality and expensive tuning caps probably also translate into an overall better design and better quality component selection than a tuner where a focus is on economy. When populating a circuit board with components, it wouldn't make sense to use 1 top quality component and surround it with cheap parts.

Traditionally, tuning caps in older equipment were all constructed this way. The advantage of course is durability, simplicity and ease of maintenance. If it should get dusty, it can be blown out with compressed air. If tuner cleaner is used, you can of course blow it dry. One of the main things about plastic ones is that it's semi-sealed. That should keep dust out but the advent of deoxit DIY'ers and the location of most tuners make it a price location for contamination from overuse of deoxit. Contrary to popular belief, deoxit does not evaporate residue free and will leave a film. Any kind of coating or film residue on the vari-cap will change it's capacitance and throw the alignment off -- frequently far off enough to be make it unusable. A sure fire way to temporarily disable the tuner is to spray deoxit inside of it. Don't believe me? Try it. Then turn on your tuner and see if it will receive. I bet that it will no longer receive anything except white noise. Eventually, as the solvent evaporates, it will slowly drift back to a usable range. But any film that remains may permanently alter it's capacitance. Since it is not open, moisture that enters the cap will be difficult to remove. Punch a small hole into a 2-liter coke bottle with 3 drops of water and see how long it takes for the water to completely leave the bottle -- takes a long time, doesn't it? Finally, the plastic varicap vanes are frequently warped which make it less stable in it's ability to reproduce a certain capacitance value. If you are wondering just how much of an effect a foreign object has when contacting the capacitor, try this: With the tuner working and tuned to a station, lightly touch the tuning cap with your bare fingers. At best, the tuner will immediately drift off center or to another station. At worst, it will kill the tuners ability to receive until you remove your finger.

SANYO M9990 TUNER (note plastic box with thin plastic vanes that can, and frequently do warp)

NATIONAL PANASONIC RX-7000 TUNER

JVC RC-M90 tuner. Many of you will be familiar with this tuner. And yes, it does use the plastic varicap.

JVC DC-7 The tuning cap almost looks like it belongs in a home stereo receiver. Well, the DC-7 is probably not the most portable system, so while it may technically be a boombox since it has a handle and works on batteries, I think that it's probably most at home in a den or office anyhow. This is one of the models I spoke of with an all metal tuning cap.

NATIONAL PANASONIC RS-4360dft. The tuning cap on this is very large and I've really only seen these in high quality tuner separates. This boombox was a very expensive one back in the day. $138,000 yen back in 1982. Even with ZERO adjustment for inflation, that still translate today to over $1,640 today. Adjusted for inflation using COLA figures, this translates to $3,598.10. With that type of pricing, you would expect ONLY top quality components to be selected.

Superduper

Member (SA)
Exactly the same. The difference is that:

USA = Panny RX-7700, 88-108 FM tuner, multi-voltage, Silver Color
Japan = National RX-7700, 76-90 FM tuner, single 100volt, Black Color
Other = National - Panasonic RS-4360dft, 88-108 FM tuner, multi-voltage, Black Color

If there is a black Panasonic RX-7700 -- I have never seen it. Can you confirm yours?
If there is a silver National or National-Panasonic, I have never seen it.

Eddy

Member (SA)
May 20, 2009
For me , the GF 9797 . Amazing sensitivity and selectivity . Great stereo image and sound.
In second place , the fisher PH 490 . You feel the quality just by turning the tuning knob.
It has the LED array to show you the center frequency in FM tuning . Very neat.
Extremely good SW and MW tuner

Status
Not open for further replies.