Sanyo M-X920 tape deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
I am still in need of these pics. I had to replace belts but cant get it back together until i know where the wires go :sad: Or if you know where the colored wires with the 2 peg clips go, there are 3 sets, orange and brown, blue and red, and black shielded from erase head....Thanks :hmmm:

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
So I just got the deck fully reassembled and now there is no power to motor :sad: Before I started to replace belts the motor was working...Anyone have any ideas :hmmm:

monchito

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
pythonville florida
i had one that burned out a resistor the motor somehow was bad luckaly i managed to find a simular resistor and i got it working ,, but right now i dont remember which one it was i belive its close to the plug on the amp board there is where the motor leads hook up to... :huh:

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
I found this resistor that was bad. Here are the pics. :-)

It's the blue resistor, off the positive, just before the motor. Anyone know of a replacement for this? The bands are green, blue, gold, gold. :huh:

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Superduper said:
How do you know it's bad?

You got the color coldes backwards. 5.6 ohms. Will probably read like a short circuit in a VOM.
No voltage at other end of resistor. I was just about to reverse the color order. :-)

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
I just ordered this resistor in 1/4 watt 5.6 ohm blue and tan. Everywhere I read it says the blue one is like a fuse and blows instead of burn and that I need to replace with blue. Though the blue has 2% tolerance compared to tan 5%. :-) So when i get these do I use the blue one :huh:

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Well, just tried the resistor out and its a no go :sadno: . I test 15v at input end and not even 1v at the other end of resistor. This is a bit confusing :huh: Anyone know why this is happenning :sad:

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
With the meter set to check dc volts black to ground red to check power from 1st at the input of resistor then the other side . I did unhook pos of motor and now i get 15v at resistor and where hot is on board for motor. motor is working because i checked it while unhooked with 9v :huh: There is nothing else between pos hook up of motor and resistor...

Superduper

Member (SA)
You have a short to ground when the motor is hooked up. This presumes that the motor is hooked up correctly. Before powering up the boombox, find and fix the short first or you could blow the resistor again. With the POS of the motor disconnected, and the neg still connected to ground, check the resistance. Then with the motor POS disconnected, check the resistor ohms to ground. Resistance should be high or infinity. If the ohms slowly rise to infinity, that is normal since it's coupled to ground through a capacitor. If all that checks out, reconnect the POS of the motor and recheck the resistance from resistor to ground. One end should read same as reading from motor pos to ground. Other end should be same + approx 5.6 ohms. Also, check to verify that the capacitor is not shorted. If it is, then replace it.

Superduper

Member (SA)
Bill. Go back and read your entire post again. We don't know what you are talking about. The questions you asked were very specific. We presume you have some troubleshooting knowledge and are asking for specific help along the way. Now you mention something about the power switch which is the first you've brought that up. You also mentioned that the motor was working and that you've also tested it with 9v. Now you are asking about how to test for a shorted motor. Obviously, if the motor works with 9v, it is not shorted. Please verify and recheck your work. Looking at the schematic, that portion of the circuitry looks rather simple. Shouldn't be hard to troubleshoot if you know what you're doing. The problem is probably right in front of you. Just go back and check carefully.

For us to properly help you -- you need to give us all the details and symptoms. The details might not seem important to you, but I assure you they are. Also, make absolutely certain that you are hooking everything up correctly. If you are actually hooking a tape mechanism microswitch up to the motor connector, you WILL introduce a SHORT which will draw all the power and maybe burn things up. From our end, we can't do the testing for you -- we rely on you to do that and we need to make certain presumptions and paramount is that things are properly connected.

monchito

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
pythonville florida
mine blew that resistor because it had a bad motor i was lucky enough that i changed it and replaced the motor,, the motor was turning but was drawing too much power so it looks like it had a short inside the little board ,, as soon as i changed the motor it worked with no problems ,, both motor were the originals as a use to have a parts deck which i was lucky enough to have... :-)

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Thanks to member superduper this sanyo was saved. I used a wire lead in place of resistor (temporarily) to get this deck fully functional. I will have an update once I replace with new resistor and a few of the caps and then reassemble :-D Thanks Superduper :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.