"Wreck-Cel" rebuilding of the Audio Sonic TBS-1150 (aka Rexcel JCX-1000)

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Earlier this year, when Boomboxery member Samovar hosted the BOOMBOX and the CITY exhibition in Catania, Sicily, myself along with my wife and DOCS and his wife attended. We were able to visit the fantastic, amazing and incredible collection of the wonderfully mysterious Samavar.

And as extensive as his “A” collection is, it was while rummaging through his “B & C” piles that had me most excited. Mr. Samovar is blessed with enough space to hang on to parts boxes, carcasses, bits and pieces that most collectors would have just tossed in the bin. And it was one of those carcasses that lit a fire under me.

As DOCS and Samovar looked through radios on one side of the room, I turned around and saw something in the corner of the room that I recognized instantly. With it facing away from me, sitting on a pallet, among 10 other junkers was a radio I have been looking for, for a very long time.
:jawdrop:

They aren’t the rarest of rare, but again, they don’t come up all that often either. It is a personal missing link. One of the “Big 4” from Issue 3 of Boombox Magazine. The 2nd largest 1-piece radio ever made, right under the Wheely and just above the J1 and Helix HX-4700 and the last one of the big four I have been missing.

It is the REXCEL JCX-1000 or in this radios case, it’s labeled as the AUDIO SONIC TBS-1150
Through out the rest of this thread, it shall be referred to as the WRECK-CEL due to its condition.

The second I saw it, even from the back I felt the blood rush from my face. A moment of breathlessness (mixed with the 105F / 40C degree heat and 98% humidity). In an instant, before I could even climb my way over too it through the extensive stash of parts boxes, a flood of thoughts rushed through my mind.

“How much could he possibly be asking for this gem?”
"What ever it is, it's not enough"
“Do I spend all of our travel money trying to buy it?”
“How pissed off will my wife be when I do spend all of our travel money buying it?”
“How will that 7.5-hour drive back to Naples be with a pissed off wife after I do buy it?”
“What if he won’t sell it?” :bang:
“HE HAS TO FREAKING SELL IT!!!!!!!”
“I don’t care what it costs, it must be mine (precious)”

I tried so hard to hold my composure. I had to move many, many radios to reach it and once I did, with my back to everyone, I snapped it up and carried it into the other room, like I was stealing it or something. I mean, like, where am I going, right????

I had to set it down, take a step back and breath.

Deep, Long, Breaths….

“SALLLLLL, I have a question?”

He was still in the other room, deep into the graveyard of lost blaster souls with DOCS.

“SSSSSSSSAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL” (gawd he’s killing me over here!!!!)

(So terrified I might get a horrid answer) :sad: :sick:

“What do you want for the Rexcel?”

Then Samovar entered the room and says….

“Oh, that’s the left over from a box I already rebuilt, you can have it”

GASP!!!!!!!!!!!! :-O :-O :-O
OMG :w00t: :clap:

I didn’t know whether to kiss my wife and high five Sal or kiss Sal and high five my wife! :smooch:

A feeling of elation rushed over me. I never even looked over the box to see its condition and I didn’t care. I had no idea what parts were there, what was missing and I didn’t care. Can it be repaired? NO FREAKING CLUE.

I DIDN’T CARE! :rock:

In my mind, I was the little leprechaun from the Lucky Charms commercial, kicking up my heels and dancing around. Of course, in front of everyone I was like James Dean – “cool” (tiny nod). :cool:

***FARK YEAH***
***ULTRA SCORE***

Then, after a few orbits of earth, I went to pick up my new prize and the handle partial came off :hmmm: .

Not a problem, all is good! :w00t:

Once I got it out in the yard and the sun fell upon it, it was much clearer now….no deck doors….OK, cool, we’ve made those before (quick check, thank gawd it has the battery door!)

My oh my, the decks are loose inside and flopping around?!?!? And it appears someone has straight kicked in the face of the radio as there are HUGE cracks spider-webbing out from the center. Not good.

I…..DON’T…….CARE!!!!!! :rock:

And….

I’m so glad I didn’t piss off the wife spending all of our money on it as she walks up and says…

“Of all those radios in there, that’s the one you want?”

“YES, go away!!!!!” :yes: :-D :w00t:

“She is GLORIOUS!” (or will be) :blush:

I was like....
“WOMAN, you ever seen my Wheely?, dis ain’t shiat!”

Of course, then came fitting it into the trunk of the car along with our luggage, DOCS luggage and the radio’s DOCS scrounged out of the C-D and E piles of the mighty Samovar!

Then weeks later, I get a message from Smaovar that he has found a bag of bits and pieces for the WRECK-CEL including the deck doors (and many, many busted off case posts)

Since then, this radio has sat on the floor, behind my recycling bin, still dusty and dirty, waiting it’s turn.

Well that turn is…..NOW!

(In this video, you will learn how to do many of my plastic repair tricks including case screw post repair.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6MgiEIrV84&t=19s

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
JVC Floyd said:
I love how he just said you can have it like its no big deal lol , that's the way to give.
Yeah, Sal is one in a million man. He has been the best part of my time in Italy and I'm not saying that because he gave me this box LOL, in fact, this is the third radio he has given me, but it has nothing to do with that. Just a hell of a nice guy!

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
SLO said:
One hell of a score Chris! :w00t: You made that sucker shine like the dam sun...Another great story from the "Chris Cronkrite Chronicle's" :-D Great restoration work as always brother!
Thanks SLO, I'm trying to move through the collection again. Got this one out of the way, so it's on to the next. But I am pleased. There are a total of 11 rear case screws, I only have 3, so I need to get that worked out.

baddboybill said:
And your video was amazing!!
Thanks Bill, I took a bunch of clips along the way, wasn't sure if I was going to try to cobble it together into a complete video or not, but I think there is some good "how to" information in there, so regardless of what it looks like, I'm hoping others can learn to do the same things. Rear case screw posts have always been an issue on these old radios. This is yet another solution, even if it looks like hell.

Also, I have found that a combination of Super Glue and Hot Glue Gun seems to work the best of getting parts to hold. On these posts, first I glue them in place with the super glue and let them sit over night. Then I use the hot glue gun. The glue gun is rubber and I find that it not only supports the super glue, but it also flewable to move with the plastic. I have tried epoxy in the past, but it's too rigid, especially on the screw posts.

Something I didn't mention is that I did get one of the cassette decks working. Deck A. Deck B had one of the spindle posts broken off. I did glue it back on, but it will never hold the torque of operation. But deck A sounds great. In fact the whole system sounds amazing. Of the four Rexcel units I have rebuilt in the past, this was in the best shape in terms of both electronics and chrome.

The power switches on every single one of these have been faulty and in each, someone has opened it up and by passed it, this one was the same. I managed to put it back together.

Also, the equalizers have all been junk, with the exception of this one. It is extremely smooth and precise.

Over all, the sound quality is better than you might think and I would put it on par with the J1. It is a true three way system with a very large mid range speaker which brings up the overall volume nicely and it has a very respectable solid mid bass.

I made sure all the wires inside are tied down, there are zero rattles in the cabinet (even with only 3 screws).

I will probably Bluetooth it next. This way it's just grab and go!

I am looking for some parts:

2 deck keys
1 spare cassette storage drawer
Cassette B
Tape counter
Sticker that goes around the power button
2 antennas
9 rear case screws like this one (7cm / 2.75")

IMG_20181110_091917.jpg

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Chris this is a quality refurb of the highest order. Gonna grab some whisky and sit down later and watch the vid.

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Damn, that case work tho :bow: :bow: I didnt realise so much went into it. That is next level resto, inspiring work.

Dbzerk

Member (SA)
Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne Australia
What a box and what a resto.. always love reading your posts and the boxes that you come across, but this one takes the cake for me.. such a great looking box and I love the massive eq in the middle. Posts like these always hypes me up and gets me back into my garage and back into my projects.

Also feel like a whiskey(s) now.. 🥃🥃
Cheers

samovar

Member (SA)
Jun 7, 2014
Italy
What is worth keeping a box if it is not going to be restored? Especially if -- case in point -- restoration is of the uttermost order?

Actually, I had my own project of restoration for the AudioSonic. This box was in fact the best of the two Rexcell akas I had come through; its only problems were the seriously damaged shell, and a few missing parts (a tray for spare tapes, a sticker on the front and basically that's all); they could have been found, or even rebuilt, one day.

Chris, who has met him, knows that my tech is able to perform his magic also with plastic -- he has done so in the past for me with excellent results. Moreover, I have recently known a guy who is an expert in modelling. What he does with plastic is stunning: you'd never say that a repair has occurred until you're told so -- and even then you want to see the video of the reparation, otherwise you won't believe it.

Why didn't I attept an assisted restoration, then? In the first place, I already owned a fully functional ICS STR 5092 Super Jumbo which was seen here https://boomboxery.com/forum/index.php/topic/28093-boombox-and-the-city/?hl=%2Bboombox+%2Band+%2Bthe+%2Bcity last summer; so the project was not a priority.

Also, restoring a box like that takes time & costs money if you are not on your own. If I were endowed with 1/100th of Chris's gifts, I could have done it myself, sooner or later. But I am not, so the giant black carcass was destined to collect dust in my junk-pile for the time being, unless...

...unless a real enthusiast was willing to try his hand into what looked like another variation on the mission impossible theme. This being the case, I'd rather give the box as a present rather than sell it or trade it.

I believe in communities, although I have found out at my expenses that, no matter the community, there's always somebody who just pretends to be part of it -- an opportunist, a bad boy disguised as a friend, a fake with fake morals to justify his soulless life, you name it -- in order to better screw you up with a smile on his face and a pat on your back.

Luckily enough these are the exception. 99,9% of any healthy community is full of great people, some even exceptional. Chris is one of them -- like Dave (Docs), who was there when it all started and has always been a silent helper online. The Wrex-Cell couldn't have landed in better hands and, eventually, in a better heaven: a boom-room in Naples from where to spread the gospel of advanced restoration to all the people of good will (I know I should have posted this at Christmas... but my timing has always been out of joint, so you'll have to read it now).