Photo

Cassette mechanism with 2 motors: RC-M90 and...?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#1 Jorge

Jorge
  • Members (SA)
  • 147 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 May 2018 - 06:08 PM

Any other one-piecers with two motors exist out there? I was admiring schematics of M90 (do not dream of ever getting one though) and realized that it has 2 motors, something you expect from a decent cassette deck! All my boxes: Elephant, El Diablo, Sencor S-4800 have one motor, Service Manuals for top National, even M70 show just one motor... Is M90 the only one???

#2 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,623 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 May 2018 - 06:17 PM

Philips D8614 and D8634 have 3 motors

#3 Jorge

Jorge
  • Members (SA)
  • 147 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 May 2018 - 06:33 PM

that was quick, thank you!!! I have D8614 on my eBay "watch list" but 8614/8634 look like three-piecers (design-wise) and being Philips with those iffy gears I stay away from such. But now I shall reconsider  :-) ... just have to get myself M70 first!  :cool:

#4 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,623 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 May 2018 - 07:10 PM

Yeah I would not bother with Philips, they are kind of cheezy in the build quality aspect IMO.  Several of their boxes have plastic speakers, LOL.

#5 Jorge

Jorge
  • Members (SA)
  • 147 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 May 2018 - 07:41 PM

Plastic speakers? Sounds hi-tech.. ;-)
After struggling with a joke of a boombox 8444 I wouldn't expect anything less from Philips!! Must admit though that I like the sound of The Elephant with a wheezer for a "4 cone speaker system". Cheaters!!

#6 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,623 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 May 2018 - 08:30 PM

Yep it's the D8444 that has plastic speaker baskets.  As well as the D8349, D8554, D8854, etc.

#7 Jorge

Jorge
  • Members (SA)
  • 147 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:16 PM

A lesson to me, thru my own experience (as per Russian proverb that fools learn only from their own mistakes) and to others to listen what had been posted @ Boomboxery, then pay...

#8 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,623 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:52 PM

Elephant box is decent quality though. Not spectacular, but decent.

#9 Jorge

Jorge
  • Members (SA)
  • 147 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:26 PM

Have yet to get M70 (90 feels out of reach as per my "hobby" financing and resto skills if busted) but Yes! My Sencor beats it fair and square... Except for the Special Occasions (as today, with kids and family gathering for my birthday) when the Elephant is a centerpiece for barbecuing/drinking session ;-)

#10 caution

caution
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:25 PM

The M60 and M80 have two motors also

#11 Jorge

Jorge
  • Members (SA)
  • 147 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:21 AM

M60 and M80? Thanks for the tip! Look like "unobtanium" models but now I'm on a mission!!

#12 Helmar

Helmar
  • Members (SA)
  • 59 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted 02 May 2018 - 01:28 AM

Grundig RR3000 (Fully logic controlled single tape unit)

Hitachi TRK 3D8E (two decks, one motor each)

Attached Files

#13 Styleking

Styleking
  • Members (SA)
  • 870 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA.

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:21 AM

Happy Birthday Jorge! :hbd:

#14 skippy1969

skippy1969
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,536 posts
  • LocationBaraboo Wisconsin

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:32 AM

Aiwa CS-85X,TPR990 and TPR 968.

Are a few that have two motor decks.

#15 Jorge

Jorge
  • Members (SA)
  • 147 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 May 2018 - 01:07 PM

Skippy1969, I really want Aiwa for my "collection"! Since I have more than five bboxes, six to be exact, allow me to call it a collection ;-)
These will go on top of my search efforts!!
Styleking, thank you!
Helmar, I will look into Grundig catalog but so far my original obsession with Swiss and German engineering got extinguished by Sencor's crazy cassette mechanism and Philips D8444 "quality"

Thank you guys!!!!! :-)

#16 Rimmer36

Rimmer36
  • Members (SA)
  • 3,230 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 01:08 PM

jvc pc 55 has 3 motors and dolby b/c

#17 Superduper

Superduper
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,875 posts
  • LocationSomewhere over the rainbow, USA

Posted 02 May 2018 - 01:55 PM

Just so you know, not all multiple motor decks function the same way.  Some, like the JVC uses one motor (I think it's reversible) for the FF and RW duties.  The other motor is for the Capstan pinch roller & flywheel.

On the Aiwa TPR-950 (not sure about the other Aiwas), one motor is really just for cycling the servo soft touch controls to kickstart the mechanism.

The Grundig party center 2000 has what appears visually to be a 3-motor deck but I'm pretty sure that one of those motors is actually some kind of solenoid.  Still, operationally it is very simple and high quality deck if it weren't for the material of a couple of gears that always break on them.

My point is that while each one of these decks have different characters of operation, don't judge the quality of a deck simply by the number of motors other than that yes, they usually are higher quality than 1-motor decks but will it result in higher quality sound recordings or reproduction, or was the extra motor used to provide a more luxurious soft touch feel of operation?

#18 JVC Floyd

JVC Floyd
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,560 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:17 PM

I agree with Norm Motors don't make a tape deck they may make it better but they also make it more complicated and more prone to failure. 1 motor equals 1 problem 3 Motors equals 3 f****** Problems it's simple math.

#19 skippy1969

skippy1969
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,536 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:26 PM

Just so you know, not all multiple motor decks function the same way.  Some, like the JVC uses one motor (I think it's reversible) for the FF and RW duties.  The other motor is for the Capstan pinch roller & flywheel.

On the Aiwa TPR-950 (not sure about the other Aiwas), one motor is really just for cycling the servo soft touch controls to kickstart the mechanism.

The Grundig party center 2000 has what appears visually to be a 3-motor deck but I'm pretty sure that one of those motors is actually some kind of solenoid.  Still, operationally it is very simple and high quality deck if it weren't for the material of a couple of gears that always break on them.

My point is that while each one of these decks have different characters of operation, don't judge the quality of a deck simply by the number of motors other than that yes, they usually are higher quality than 1-motor decks but will it result in higher quality sound recordings or reproduction, or was the extra motor used to provide a more luxurious soft touch feel of operation?

The Aiwa TPR950 has just one motor, Norm.

#20 Superduper

Superduper
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,875 posts
  • LocationSomewhere over the rainbow, USA

Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:45 PM

Oops, I meant TPR-990.

#21 skippy1969

skippy1969
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,536 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:50 PM

Oops, I meant TPR-990.

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

#22 Jorge

Jorge
  • Members (SA)
  • 147 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 May 2018 - 10:20 AM

am I the only one who cannot see or link onto skippy1969 photos? (at some point I finally had it with photobucket and closed my account with them, so maybe its just me)

#23 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,623 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:05 AM

I can't see them either.

#24 skippy1969

skippy1969
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,536 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 04:18 PM

am I the only one who cannot see or link onto skippy1969 photos? (at some point I finally had it with photobucket and closed my account with them, so maybe its just me)

Thats because Photobucket doesn't support 3rd party free photo hosting so all my photos are gone on that site. :bang:  :bang:  :bang:  :bang:

Sorry....... :

#25 PostEnder

PostEnder
  • Members (SA)
  • 145 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern U.S.A.

Posted 10 August 2018 - 06:18 PM

Hi, folks. Early in this relatively brief topic started by member Jorge, member Reli observed that the Philips D8614 and D8634 models each have three cassette-deck motors. Doesn't the huge (and personally good-looking) Philips D8734 also have three motors for each of its twin decks (in addition to a tape counter per side)?

No? Maybe it has two motors per deck then? I'm not really sure; a check of Reli's data entry on WikiBoomBox.com doesn't discover how many deck motors that desirably hulking three-piece stereo has. (Going on YouTube today and again watching a two-minute clip demoing an '8734 and then two six-minute-odd clips of that model doesn't let one know, either.)

Hold on: my February 2017 notes observe Reli stating that the D8734 has three motors per deck but also stating: "Unfortunately, the sound quality of the D8734 is only 'average.' It sounds kind of 'distant'." Perhaps oddly, those statements by Reli were gone from the WikiBoomBox site as of April 9, 2018.

Comments from experienced boombox collectors observe that Philips cassette decks -- and probably Europe-engineered cassette decks in general -- have strange mechanisms prone to breakdown, unlike better-made units designed and built by brands like Aiwa, JVC, Panasonic, etc. (Small wonder the Asian brands have dominated the audio-electronics market over the years.) But will one go far wrong to buy a Philips D8734 that its seller insists is in "Very Good" or "Mint" condition?

#26 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,623 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:57 PM

That Philips, like most Philips, uses plastic decks with plastic gears that often break into pieces.  And of course the seller always claims that it "just needs new belts". 

I wouldn't recommend it.

#27 Jorge

Jorge
  • Members (SA)
  • 147 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:22 PM

I hate being the "Devil's Advocate" here but I do believe that Philips used (now) crumbling gears made from a different plastics (PE?)with an idea  to break down onto vibration resonances. Wrong choice of plastic, but I do not think it was an attempt to save a few pennies, as it is done nowadays.......

Just this week, when my Wadia 781, used as DAC for Tidal, was sent for a repair, I opened Chinese USB-to-analog DAC ($25 off Amazon) to recap it for Nichicon FG caps, and had a pleasure of seeing that the solder used in this contraption is not a solder but something which consistently makes "cold joints": a 5-min fix had turned into an hour of a headache! 

#28 PostEnder

PostEnder
  • Members (SA)
  • 145 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern U.S.A.

Posted 16 August 2018 - 02:10 PM

That Philips, like most Philips, uses plastic decks with plastic gears that often break into pieces.  And of course the seller always claims that it "just needs new belts". 

I wouldn't recommend it.

Hmm ... can a metal or steel cam gear be used to replace a plastic cam gear in, for instance, an Aiwa CS-600U? The repairer who I sent the boombox to states that he has mostly repaired the completely jammed cassette-deck mechanism, but that a "worn plastic cam gear" remains a problem. He notes that the stereo doesn't always rewind on pressing the (originally soft-touch) REWIND key.