Cassette mechanism with 2 motors: RC-M90 and...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorge

Member (SA)
Jul 12, 2017
California
square-2.com
Any other one-piecers with two motors exist out there? I was admiring schematics of M90 (do not dream of ever getting one though) and realized that it has 2 motors, something you expect from a decent cassette deck! All my boxes: Elephant, El Diablo, Sencor S-4800 have one motor, Service Manuals for top National, even M70 show just one motor... Is M90 the only one???

Jorge

Member (SA)
Jul 12, 2017
California
square-2.com
that was quick, thank you!!! I have D8614 on my eBay "watch list" but 8614/8634 look like three-piecers (design-wise) and being Philips with those iffy gears I stay away from such. But now I shall reconsider :-) ... just have to get myself M70 first! :cool:

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Yeah I would not bother with Philips, they are kind of cheezy in the build quality aspect IMO. Several of their boxes have plastic speakers, LOL.

Jorge

Member (SA)
Jul 12, 2017
California
square-2.com
Plastic speakers? Sounds hi-tech.. ;-)
After struggling with a joke of a boombox 8444 I wouldn't expect anything less from Philips!! Must admit though that I like the sound of The Elephant with a wheezer for a "4 cone speaker system". Cheaters!!

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Yep it's the D8444 that has plastic speaker baskets. As well as the D8349, D8554, D8854, etc.

Jorge

Member (SA)
Jul 12, 2017
California
square-2.com
A lesson to me, thru my own experience (as per Russian proverb that fools learn only from their own mistakes) and to others to listen what had been posted @ boomboxery, then pay...

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Elephant box is decent quality though. Not spectacular, but decent.

Jorge

Member (SA)
Jul 12, 2017
California
square-2.com
Have yet to get M70 (90 feels out of reach as per my "hobby" financing and resto skills if busted) but Yes! My Sencor beats it fair and square... Except for the Special Occasions (as today, with kids and family gathering for my birthday) when the Elephant is a centerpiece for barbecuing/drinking session ;-)

Jorge

Member (SA)
Jul 12, 2017
California
square-2.com
Skippy1969, I really want Aiwa for my "collection"! Since I have more than five bboxes, six to be exact, allow me to call it a collection ;-)
These will go on top of my search efforts!!
Styleking, thank you!
Helmar, I will look into Grundig catalog but so far my original obsession with Swiss and German engineering got extinguished by Sencor's crazy cassette mechanism and Philips D8444 "quality"

Thank you guys!!!!! :-)

Superduper

Member (SA)
Just so you know, not all multiple motor decks function the same way. Some, like the JVC uses one motor (I think it's reversible) for the FF and RW duties. The other motor is for the Capstan pinch roller & flywheel.

On the Aiwa TPR-950 (not sure about the other Aiwas), one motor is really just for cycling the servo soft touch controls to kickstart the mechanism.

The Grundig party center 2000 has what appears visually to be a 3-motor deck but I'm pretty sure that one of those motors is actually some kind of solenoid. Still, operationally it is very simple and high quality deck if it weren't for the material of a couple of gears that always break on them.

My point is that while each one of these decks have different characters of operation, don't judge the quality of a deck simply by the number of motors other than that yes, they usually are higher quality than 1-motor decks but will it result in higher quality sound recordings or reproduction, or was the extra motor used to provide a more luxurious soft touch feel of operation?

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
I agree with Norm Motors don't make a tape deck they may make it better but they also make it more complicated and more prone to failure. 1 motor equals 1 problem 3 Motors equals 3 f****** Problems it's simple math.

skippy1969

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Baraboo Wisconsin
Superduper said:
Just so you know, not all multiple motor decks function the same way. Some, like the JVC uses one motor (I think it's reversible) for the FF and RW duties. The other motor is for the Capstan pinch roller & flywheel.

On the Aiwa TPR-950 (not sure about the other Aiwas), one motor is really just for cycling the servo soft touch controls to kickstart the mechanism.

The Grundig party center 2000 has what appears visually to be a 3-motor deck but I'm pretty sure that one of those motors is actually some kind of solenoid. Still, operationally it is very simple and high quality deck if it weren't for the material of a couple of gears that always break on them.

My point is that while each one of these decks have different characters of operation, don't judge the quality of a deck simply by the number of motors other than that yes, they usually are higher quality than 1-motor decks but will it result in higher quality sound recordings or reproduction, or was the extra motor used to provide a more luxurious soft touch feel of operation?
The Aiwa TPR950 has just one motor, Norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.