What's the most underated box in you're collection guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
for me it's my new jvc pc5 im totally astounded by it, although not every ones cup of tea (3 piece) it's easily as loud as the the m90 sharp gx300 and sounds just as good...

iim just blown away by it and it's half the size of the sharp gx300.... the only fault as most would agree in needs better highs but then most boxes do...can't even take her to full volume she is so loud and the bass is so warm and plenty of it

easily my best buy of the year even though there not rare, even has the m90 deck but the electronics are slightly different....

anyway what box has Totally caught you by surprise?? over to you guys :-)

Attachments

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Actually it's not the same deck, even though it shares many similar parts. Looked at the exploded diagrams.
You had me going, I thought I had a new source for m90 decks :-P

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
caution said:
Actually it's not the same deck, even though it shares many similar parts. Looked at the exploded diagrams.
You had me going, I thought I had a new source for m90 decks :-P
Yes you are correct my friend but it's almost the same lol....it actually clunks the same during it's cycles...i flippin love it Eric...i don't even need the bass on full (half will do) which is unusual for me....back to you guys :-)

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Great topic Rah, I only have one 3 piece and it is a Sony FH7, i think i may invest in one more good one as time goes by so maybe i will look out for one of these. I bet the deck is a pig to work on?

Anyway, my most underrated box is probably this old Sony:
IMG-20170906-WA0024.jpg

It sounds so good and would embarrass many boxes, also has a 3,5mm line in so gets a lot of use.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
My PC 11 that I changed the speakers, now my best and loudest compo box. The thing I like is the actual volume knob and not those miserable ****ing sliders.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Yep it is, and they go for only $50-100 on Ebay Germany. Best bang for the buck.

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
T-STER said:
Great topic Rah, I only have one 3 piece and it is a Sony FH7, i think i may invest in one more good one as time goes by so maybe i will look out for one of these. I bet the deck is a pig to work on?

Anyway, my most underrated box is probably this old Sony:
IMG-20170906-WA0024.jpg

It sounds so good and would embarrass many boxes, also has a 3,5mm line in so gets a lot of use.
that sony reminds me of one my sister had Tstar, the only mono iv ever used lol....as for re belting the pc5, no chance id do it, mine came fully working, iv actually down graded the speakers with a pair of rx 60 drivers as mine need a re foam :-) but i may leave these in as it's superb as is :cool:

JVC Floyd said:
My PC 11 that I changed the speakers, now my best and loudest compo box. The thing I like is the actual volume knob and not those miserable farking sliders.
would agree Floyd lad, iv had many pc55 but i could never get a satisfactory sound out of it, changed the woofers on the pc 11 and although not as loud as the pc 55 it sounds better than the 55 ever could :-)

Reli said:
Yep it is, and they go for only $50-100 on Ebay Germany. Best bang for the buck.
not sure what one of these are Reli lad :-)

i don't know about boxes Redbenjoe but you are easily the most underrated member here haha

not sure about the m90 jimmy, never heard of one haha

Attachments

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
I love the gf 9000 mind you these are grossly under powered, if it only had a few more watts it would kick total ass but as it is it only kicks partial ass lol.

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
JVC Floyd said:
I love the gf 9000 mind you these are grossly under powered, if it only had a few more watts it would kick total ass but as it is it only kicks partial ass lol.
Totally agree Floyd lad, isn't there some mod you can do my friend i mean you have total out of this world skills lad, the problem with the gf9000 although it uses the same amp as the gf 777 family it only has one where as the gf777 uses 2 :-)

edit

one mod i did to a gf9000 years ago floyd was put some m90 speakers in there, it sounded much better buddy :yes:

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Hell my gf 535/9000 sounds maybe even better than the m90 at low to mid volume. anything past that the m90 totally smokes its ass lol.
If I think I need to find some more sensitive but also more powerful woofers , pretty sure the m90 are 6 ohm but I want to go with 3 ohm if I can find them.

Don't get me wrong if I had some spare JVC woofers I would put them in just to see what happens.

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
i think there is a pair of m90 speakers on ebay now floyd, if i had paypal id get em for you and send them free buddy....people have tried many speakers in the gf 9000 but all of them are just to powerful to drive lad...the m90 speakers although 6 ohms, the magnets are only small and can be driven easily by the 9000

edit i have a friend with paypal i'll ask him to get the m90 speakers for me and when they arrive i'll send them to you dude... hows that :-)

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Hell bring it on. Once I open up the sharp that's when I'm going to add some LEDs and replace the tweeters with the ones from my PC 55 parts box.

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
i think someone has bought the damn things floyd, wouldn't care but they have been on ebay for weeks...if they get relisted there yours dude :yes:

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
Another underrated one is the panasonic rx 60...has the same gutsy chunky sound of the pc5 ..... could almost be the same box just not as loud as the pc5

Nickeccles

Member (SA)
Jan 26, 2016
Littlehampton West Sussex
The PC-5 is a real world beater, built & sold at the height of quality portable stereos this 5 piece is a true hifi system & sounds even better than it should really!! The deck is the same as the M90's with some tiny differences, the logic board in the M90 has fewer led's & the odd mechanical differences - I know this deck well, my PC-5 was stripped right out to service & rebelt & the 2 are built on the same chassis! Very reliable & these decks get the best out of the cassette tape!

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
Nickeccles said:
The PC-5 is a real world beater, built & sold at the height of quality portable stereos this 5 piece is a true hifi system & sounds even better than it should really!! The deck is the same as the M90's with some tiny differences, the logic board in the M90 has fewer led's & the odd mechanical differences - I know this deck well, my PC-5 was stripped right out to service & rebelt & the 2 are built on the same chassis! Very reliable & these decks get the best out of the cassette tape!
Bang on Nick lad...the jvc pc55 looks better than the 5 but id say the 5 is the best compo jvc has ever made...i get the feeling we like the pc5 lol :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.