post your boombox history growing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahardb0dy

Member (SA)
The idea for this thread just came to me, tell us all about the boomboxes, radios you own/owned growing up in the order you had them if you can remember. I'm not asking for boxes you bought when you started collecting, but the one's you may have had before you even thought about collecting them.

My history:

1st radio was a mono, Centrex by Pioneer, I used everything this radio had till it was wore out!. When I last had it I had it attached to my bike on the frame in front of the seat. Back than I didn't have a lot of friends and I would turn to music to keep me company, sometimes if I was pissed off at something or upset I would jump on my bike, throw a tape in and just go for a ride by myself. I was in my own little world and "didn't need anyone" I thought this radio was still in my parents attic, all taped together as it saw so much use and was falling apart but I think it got tossed out years ago.

2nd radio was a sanyo M9990, I was moving up and into the big time now had a Stereo boombox!!. Didn't think this radio was anything real special at the time, seems it's pretty popular now, but it was a good step up from the Centrex and was in my price range. I remember going to the local PC Richards store with my dad to buy it. I used it to it's life limits as a young pre teenager would, don't remember what happened to it.

next up was (and still is as I still own it) my personal "grail", my favorite box, to me the only one that matters, the Aiwa CS-880, I bought this one from a mail order catalog as it was way to expensive to buy locally, think I paid about $365 for it. I still remember the day it was delivered, I was about 16 and was going to work with my dad, one of the guys from my dad's job had stopped over and I was showing it to him. The Aiwa went everywhere with me, I brought it to HS and remember having to hide it from the teachers and principal as boomboxes weren't allowed in school. I used to go everywhere on my 10 -speed and would ride no hands or one handed using my other arm/hand to hold that big Aiwa, I'm sure I took a few spills with it but it held up with no major damage other than the occasional antenna. when I moved to Florida in 96 it stayed in my dad's cedar closet down in his basement and as some of you know was relatively undamaged until I finally got it down to Florida and was replacing the belts when I had my back to it and the front case fell off my work bench onto the concrete floor and both corners broke off!! Imagine owning a box for 20 plus years with no mishaps and while trying to bring it back to 100% something happens to it. The day it fell was just about the worst day I can remember I was so upset!

last box I bought new was a monster, a friend had one and they were selling left and right at the local flea markets, it was big, heavy, loud, so heavy that it really spent most of it's time in my bedroom with the occasional trip with me to college tto crank out in the cafeteria the Sharp HK-9000, I still can not remember what I ever did with this one, it left my possesion some where along the way as the 880 is still with me. Wish I had another one.

that's it for my boombox history, how about yours??

Johnny

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
MIDWEST
AHARDBODY, that was a great story and some nice machines, especially that 880.

I don't have much time right now for an in depth story, but my grail came from not having, more so than actually owing it... It was the radio I had to have and took years to find and I used the help from S2G and you great members to find my GE6035....

I was always a shy kid with not many friends and would just hang out in my room and listen to my turntable/receiver home unit (mostly 70's-80's rock then later early hip hop), I had a good childhood but loved letting the music take away. Music can change you mentally I belive into the cool guy you wish you were, or a song might remind you about your childhood crush ;-)

I was always amazed at my brothers friend that had a GE with a digital tuner... very rare for that time.... it looked like all speakers and a cassette and I thought how great it would be to not only let the music take me away but also take the music away :-D with me, down the street, the backyard, and so on.....

Never had a whole lot of cash back then, I was contempt with my room radio and some cheap portables.... was really into my BMX bikes and that commanded any extra money I got....

But now many radios later and a group of great new freinds, I've got my GE(s) and couldn't be happier!

Sorry for the somewhat boring story, I wasn't very interesting I guess back then :-)

Boom Shaka Laka

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Detroit
I grew up in the fifties and sixties, so... (to paraphrase Seinfeld's Soup Nazi) "No boom box for you."

But I discovered them in the mid-eighties (kind of late) (what else is new?), about the time I re-discovered pop music: Journey, Night Ranger and 38 Special from the USA, plus Lloyd Cole, Flock of Seagulls and Soft Cell from the UK, among others.

My first boombox was a National Panasonic 5010F (a Euro import, no less!) from a flea market in Wisconsin. A week later, I went back to Wisconsin (American TV & Appliance in Madison) to get the twin, the Quasar 3612UQ, which I had seen advertised in a llocal newspaper.

Not long after, I slipped into the Chicago Consumer Electronics Show, thanks to a display-maker-neighbor, and came out with a BomBeat 85S from the Toshiba rep. I was hooked!

I bought lots of colorful and not-so-colorful eggs and CD boxes in the nineties and 00's before finally coming back to the classics a few years ago.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2018
Manchester, England
First box i had was in 79,it was a mono box with radio,took it every where with me..used to blast some really old old hiphop,also used to blast another brick in the wall,and i think oxygene,supertramp,status quo..

Then there was a large gap til 83,my dad bought me my Sharp GF9500 for my 13th birthday,we origonally went for a GF990 but the shop was closed because my dad got home from work late,so the 9500 it was (with no regrets) i loved that box..used to blast electro and hiphop in the park with it..lasted about a year or so,borrowed it to my girlfriend at the time,her brother broke it and tride to prize it apart with a kitchen knife,made big gouge marks all over the casing,so i swapped it for something else,not boombox,i think a cb radio

After that,approx 84/85..i Got a Philips D8734,twin cassette,nice..handle snapped on me in the park and i sold it..

Then I got a GF575..kept it for about a year,tape decks went faulty,so i sold that..

Then not long after,i got a philips D8644,i was staying with a friend,it got stolen..

Then in 88,for my 18th birthday,my new girlfriend bought me a Supra 9000-aka-Sharp HK9000..

A couple of years later i just went mad,buying anything and everything,put adverts in the papers n stuff,bought allsorts of sharp GF`s,philips D models,crown sz5100..and i`ve been hard core buying,selling and trading ever since..

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
Hi everyone-My first boombox or it was a radio and was a single speaker but it did have a handle so it was a boombox was a Juliette Am/Fm Cassette W/Dial light.The year-1975-1979'!!!!!!

-Here It Is!

It was so cool-where is it now??-I think in the radio heaven-I want one again though.
I took this outside to many parties and I just loved the dial light w/toothpick trick(Hey Ya Ira-he knows!!)
Fun radio-I remeber listening to Vicki Sue Robinson "Turn The Beat Around back in like 77'-78'.

My 2nd. was the Brand new Sanyo M-9970 that I bought brand new in Manhattan,New York City back in 1980'!!I bought it in the electronics district of New York City.It was a great radio and I sold it to my neighbor and friend who passed away in 1986'.
I still don't know what happened to that radio to this day-I may have to do some checking.

My 3rd.-I bought a brand new Sharp GF-8989II in 1981' for about 189.00!!It was my favorite!!
I loved this radio so much because of the memories of me and my girlfriend Jennifer listening to it all the time!!
I gave it ti her for her Graduation present in 1985'.I miss that radio very,very much and her to!It still had the original sticker on the cassette door!

My 4th. This was very,very,very special.I bought a brand new JVC-PC-55JW brand new from Team Electronics on sale for 599.00 the retail was 999.00 on sale for 699..00. I got mine for 599.00 becaus eit was the floor model but still mint!!
I had my eye on thet for sa few months-had to saven $ and a partial birthday presnt and it was mine!!

After this it get's very lenthy-too many boomboxes-52 now and I love it more than ever except like Ford said Man I miss the 80's!!

Nice thread!
Have a super weekend-GB. :-) :-D :-P :cool: :choco:
(P.S. Pics comoing!!)

bill

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Vancouver
too broke to have a boombox back in the day.
they were super expensive as was anything up here in canada back in the day.
i remember the m70 being almost five hundred bucks back then.
that was when our dollar was worth 15 percent more than yours too.
so yeah i dont know why but stuff was pretty much double price back then.
the first ever new box i bought was a sharp twin cam and well it was less than stellar.
then came a fisher surround box that was ho hum.
the first real new good boombox i owned was a dt680 but it was stolen during a burglary here.

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
i am one of the few here with absolutely no boombox history to report --

WAY back in my day -- :-)
there was no such thing as a cassette --
nor was there any fm radio
and there was NO STEREO !!! :'-( :-O

however --there was such a thing as MUSIC!!! :lol:

so --not knowing any better :-/

we listened to AM stations on mono --

and we were so friggen oblivios --
that we didnt even know what the word "mono" meant !! :lol: :lol:

as soon as ZENITH --which was our 'home town' (BOSTON) factory -
invented the transister --
us local kids were the first in the world to own truly portable music --

it was absolutely an awesome accomplishment --!!!
so we all had these handheld radios --

they had only 2 controls --a volume and a station dial -
-- but we all thought they were the cats ass :-D
-----------------
last year - i found my 'old first box' on ebay --won the litlte sucker-
here it is ::

jaredscottfla

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Florida
very very good topic.
This one is easy piesy for me,as this bbx has been my first and has been all over the world with me and i still have it!
Emerson Tp-50 From 1975 The boomer will soon turn 35 older then some members here prob, :lol:
Am,Fm,8 track. Yes i'm dating myself. No laughing ira... :lol:
I got this box selling candy for little league and school at 9 yrs old.it's been with me when i was an exchange student in Hs in Israel in college ,my first apt,on vacations in Europe, south America ,cruises, and yes i even dragged some ol' carts along to jam.
Actually now have over 850 8 tracks still alive and kickin and just bought a lot of another 35 from a guy on cl for $10 bucks. :-D

jaredscottfla

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Florida
redbenjoe said:
i am one of the few here with absolutely no boombox history to report --

WAY back in my day -- :-)
there was no such thing as a cassette --
nor was there any fm radio
and there was NO STEREO !!! :'-( :-O

however --there was such a thing as MUSIC!!! :lol:

so --not knowing any better :-/

we listened to AM stations on mono --

and we were so friggen oblivios --
that we didnt even know what the word "mono" meant !! :lol: :lol:

as soon as ZENITH --which was our 'home town' (BOSTON) factory -
invented the transister --
us local kids were the first in the world to own truly portable music --

it was absolutely an awesome accomplishment --!!!
so we all had these handheld radios --

they had only 2 controls --a volume and a station dial -
-- but we all thought they were the cats ass :-D
-----------------
last year - i found my 'old first box' on ebay --won the litlte sucker-
here it is ::

I have it Ira my fav tranny radio The zenith Royal 500 Long Distance
Absolutly Awesome Tranny,i have the black and the maroon,love them both
Known as the owl eye for oobvious reasons just look at it,they are so cool,easily a pristine perfect one can fetch a couple hundred bucks,i had my black one from my grandpa,who had it since new in 1959,my maroon is not pristiner but close and i pd $45 with ship from ebay about 2 years ago,i highly recommend anyone who wants a cool nostalgic piece and likes AM dxing Invest a few dollars on one of these gems,! Thks Ira, for sharing ! :-)

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
wowee jared -- :thumbsup:

i am so glad to have another member understand and share my glee about these gorgeous old radios -
just like you --i also won a maroon model on ebay --and its even better looking than the black one.

the present ebay range seems to be $60 to $200-
so well worth it --to some :-)

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
Hi Ira-Sweet radio!!
I forgot that my very first radio was a Transistor Radio G.E from 1968' I have 2 of them now!!
I'll post photos soon!!
I love the black 1959' Zenith-man they were quality back then!
I do have an older G.E.guys and it may even pre-date yours!
Again photos soon.! I'm not that old-I just happen to pick one up with a 3 lot on e-aby a few years ago.
Thanks for that-GB. :thumbsup: :cool: :-D

jaredscottfla

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Florida
:agree: def well worth,they kick butt for a small tranny even am actually sounds good on those radios compare just about any other tranny from that era of late 50's or early 60's,nothing touches the zenith,legend,that's the fact jack! :lol: :thumbsup:

jaredscottfla

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Florida
Ghettoboom767 said:
Hi Ira-Sweet radio!!
I forgot that my very first radio was a Transistor Radio G.E from 1968' I have 2 of them now!!
I'll post photos soon!!
Again photos soon.! I'm not that old-I just happen to pick one up with a 3 lot on e-aby a few years ago.
Hey Jeff
was it the Ge sportmate,? That has a Rifle on a suade and leather cover on the radio and the radio case iis brown, that's an exceptional radio but the zenith is still a better perf imho.

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
jaredscottfla said:
Ghettoboom767 said:
Hi Ira-Sweet radio!!
I'll post photos soon!!
Hey Jeff
was it the Ge spotmate,? That has a Rifle on a suade and leather cover on the radio and the radio case iis brown, that's an exceptional radio but the zenith is still a better perf imho.
Hi Jaredscottfla-Yes it does have a Suede cover and the thing is so old it has the wire speaker!! There is a wire no voice coil!
It works to but it is very old.
I'll try to fish it out of a box)it's in some box?!)One of the GE's from 1968"-I'll take a photo now-coming soon-15min.
I really like the old black 1968" GE's-I was 6 when I had that thing-nice sound to!! Seriously-evena little bass.You'll have to try it.
I"ll be back on this post soon!
Have a great night-GB. :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.