What Boombox Are You Cranking Up Right Now??

H3NK3L

Member (SA)
Dec 17, 2020
France
That's probably a wise move I can get part of mine to turn on but both of the power lights don't go on so basically I use line in and amplifier part still works the EQ doesn't work either only the volume.
Pretty easy fix, the lights are more or less accessible on these : they are on a long but not wide little pcb on the backside of the "white box" behind the screen, the pcb clips out (pretty fragile though), and the bulbs are well marked, you can get the rubber tubes off them (they look like glass fuses) and slip them over a white or amber led (+added resistor) and to stick to original these kind of bulbs are still available if you would like to switch them out. There are not soldered but clipped in, just like glass fuses. I loooooveeeeee my 55 (but its screen slowly went totally dead, segment by segment :( ) so I sortof made a "screen" myself. Really hate how the circuit strips (the big white strips around the "white box" often dont age well and cant be repaired :(IMG_20230704_152530.jpg

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
Pretty easy fix, the lights are more or less accessible on these : they are on a long but not wide little pcb on the backside of the "white box" behind the screen, the pcb clips out (pretty fragile though), and the bulbs are well marked, you can get the rubber tubes off them (they look like glass fuses) and slip them over a white or amber led (+added resistor) and to stick to original these kind of bulbs are still available if you would like to switch them out. There are not soldered but clipped in, just like glass fuses. I loooooveeeeee my 55 (but its screen slowly went totally dead, segment by segment :( ) so I sortof made a "screen" myself. Really hate how the circuit strips (the big white strips around the "white box" often dont age well and cant be repaired :(View attachment 57876
do you know what these are called now bud....they used to be called doorbell lamps and used to get them on ebay but i cant find any now sunshine

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
do you know what these are called now bud....they used to be called doorbell lamps and used to get them on ebay but i cant find any now sunshine
found them bud

Reactions: H3NK3L

H3NK3L

Member (SA)
Dec 17, 2020
France
found them bud
You may want to get them out and measure them, they are pretty short... And from memory they are something like 12v 500mA... (but that is marked on their PCB, right underneath them.

I usually find these looking for "technics light bulb replacement"..will be looking doe "fuse lamp" from now on lol

Reactions: Radio raheem

H3NK3L

Member (SA)
Dec 17, 2020
France

H3NK3L

Member (SA)
Dec 17, 2020
France
That's probably a wise move I can get part of mine to turn on but both of the power lights don't go on so basically I use line in and amplifier part still works the EQ doesn't work either only the volume.
equaliser not working may be an issue with the switch that allows you to select equaliser pass through/recording/playback.

On mine that switch / those 3 switches, needed a very thourough clean to get the equaliser to work more than intermittently, with a special liking to get stuck in the REC postion (audible when recording and using the rec level sliders as volume buttons) Buth then again when I got mine...its insides looked as if they lived in a cathouse or at least some kindof of lodging for short multicolored haired animals (or humans addicted to hairdy ?) and has vintage dust in it... so lots of things came back to life on it after the first thourough cleaning of buttons and switches and circuit boards and such.

(we may be getting of topic and more or less crossing over into the Tech Talk part of things)

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
I must have played hours and hours worth of cassettes on almost every radio I have on my wall of boom. Then the day comes where I decide I need to pull out the M90 because it needs to be used.

After listening to this machine, I wonder why the heck I don't play it more? The C100F and the M90 both blow all the others out of the water.

Maybe, it's the lack of flashing lights.....Not sure. But what I can say for certain is, this machine doesn't need flashy lights. Every time I listen to it, it reminds me that it shines in kicking ass and doesn't need any dang lights ;-)

The best way I know to put it is, the C100F is a "hold my beer" radio. But the M90 comes out of shadows of nowhere and becomes noticed through pure excellence.

20240227_182100.jpg

Last edited:

H3NK3L

Member (SA)
Dec 17, 2020
France
I put together a bad ass jvc from a PC 11 and a PC 55.
The thing sounds awesome and is built like a tank.
View attachment 58247View attachment 58248View attachment 58249
woooow, had both pc11 and pc55...never tried the 55 speakers on the 11...but its def a powerhouse and built to last. Only issue I ever had was with one little plastic wheel in the tapedeck, sortof excrusion on it that locks something in place, and that over time had bent.

PS : The yellowing of the handle is quite easy to remove with some sunlight, plastic foil and some haidressers hydroperoxide gel

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
woooow, had both pc11 and pc55...never tried the 55 speakers on the 11...but its def a powerhouse and built to last. Only issue I ever had was with one little plastic wheel in the tapedeck, sortof excrusion on it that locks something in place, and that over time had bent.

PS : The yellowing of the handle is quite easy to remove with some sunlight, plastic foil and some haidressers hydroperoxide gel
I had to modify the PC 55 speaker cabinets a bit because the pcs 55 uses different side plates so the mounting holes are spaced differently.

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2018
Manchester, England
Them Pc55 Speakers look way nicer than the original Pc11 speakers.. i bought a Pc11 in the late 90s from a flea market for £15, kept it for years, sold it for next to nothing, i bought a Pc55 from my friend in 1996 for £50 on my 26th birthday, he bought it brand new in early 80s from Lasky's in Manchester, i sold it (or swapped it) to Reno about 8 years later.. i had 3 Pc55's a few years ago, Sold them to Member Nickfish for £75 each, fully working with Good LCD's with No Missing Segments, if i only knew what they were going to sell for now.

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
Them Pc55 Speakers look way nicer than the original Pc11 speakers.. i bought a Pc11 in the late 90s from a flea market for £15, kept it for years, sold it for next to nothing, i bought a Pc55 from my friend in 1996 for £50 on my 26th birthday, he bought it brand new in early 80s from Lasky's in Manchester, i sold it (or swapped it) to Reno about 8 years later.. i had 3 Pc55's a few years ago, Sold them to Member Nickfish for £75 each, fully working with Good LCD's with No Missing Segments, if i only knew what they were going to sell for now.
My pc 550 got ruined when I discovered a small water leak in the roof of the garage and the one thing that got wet was my pc 550 I was working on.
Then my fully working PC 55 just went to hell all of the sudden. The power amp part still works on line in but that's it.
My pc 11 which I've had for 25 years that I paid $20.00 for at a yard sale has been sitting and needed the belts done but I was too lazy so now I'm trying to revive whatever I can and I been wanting to see how the PC 11 would sound with the PC 55 speakers. Somehow it sounds better than a PC 11 and just as good if not better than a PC 55. Not to mention the tweeters that were in the PC 55 were useless which was surprising but the sony fh 7 tweeters I put in are awesome sounding.

Last edited:

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
My pc 550 got ruined when I discovered a small water leak in the roof of the garage and the one thing that got wet was my pc 550 I was working on.
Then my fully working PC 55 just went to he'll all of the sudden.
My pc 11 which I've had for 25 years that I paid $20.00 for at a yard sale has been sitting and needed the belts done but I was too lazy so now I'm trying to revive whatever I can and I been wanting to see how the PC 11 would sound with the PC 55 speakers. Somehow it sounds better than a PC 11 and just as good if not better than a PC 55. Not to mention the tweeters that were in the PC 55 were useless which was surprising but the sony fh 7 tweeters I put in are awesome sounding.
this is like my sharp gf 9000 normally these sound wank with no power but mine wants more lad lol

i agree the pc 11 does sound better than a 55 just not as powerful bro and yea the 55 tweeters are not much cop

Last edited:
Reactions: floyd