Boomboxes IN Boxes

Superduper

Member (SA)
wheely.jpg

international_wheely.jpg

Carton is crumbly, paper feels like what I imagine the original Bill of Rights feel like right now. Boombox looks in very decent condition, except for mystery servicing that was performed internally. Probably great candidate for custom modding the box, forget the innards and FLOYD-it to the max. With 10" woofs, space for 4 tweets, a cavernous interior and rear spare cassette storage compartments that would be great for Milwaukee M12/M18 pockets.... just use your imagination. Power would be mindblowing! Caution has offered his unrivaled drawing and modeling abilities to help me turn this into something terrific. Unfortunately, I'm just about lost all energy for projects these days :'-(:sad::hmmm:so things move very very slowly.

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
View attachment 56144

View attachment 56145

Carton is crumbly, paper feels like what I imagine the original Bill of Rights feel like right now. Boombox looks in very decent condition, except for mystery servicing that was performed internally. Probably great candidate for custom modding the box, forget the innards and FLOYD-it to the max. With 10" woofs, space for 4 tweets, a cavernous interior and rear spare cassette storage compartments that would be great for Milwaukee M12/M18 pockets.... just use your imagination. Power would be mindblowing! Caution has offered his unrivaled drawing and modeling abilities to help me turn this into something terrific. Unfortunately, I'm just about lost all energy for projects these days :'-(:sad::hmmm:so things move very very slowly.
This is my dream boombox. To Floyd out lol. But I only do what needs to be done . that thing looks beautiful to me and anything I would do to it would be in line with the way it looks now only with the power and equipment it needs to kick serious ass. Basically I would put that evil stank on the motherfucker.

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
View attachment 56144

View attachment 56145

Norm your idea about the M12 or M18 battery inside the cassette holders is brilliant a man after my own heart. The M12 would probably work with the stock Transformer but with the M18 you might have to get a six volt resistor. One of these batteries makes d cells look like a joke . So basically you could use an M12 battery instead of D cells if you just wire in to the Transformer where the wires from the battery compartment go

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
Norm your idea about the M12 or M18 battery inside the cassette holders is brilliant a man after my own heart. The M12 would probably work with the stock Transformer but with the M18 you might have to get a six volt resistor. One of these batteries makes d cells look like a joke . So basically you could use an M12 battery instead of D cells if you just wire in to the Transformer where the wires from the battery compartment go
I own m 12 tools and I bought some the Chinese battery packs for dirt cheap and these things are awesome.

Superduper

Member (SA)
I own a whole line of Milwaukee tools. Also Makita and Dewalt. And I have a whole bunch of M12/M18 batteries and they have huge power and last a long time. Going with rechargeable D's and such is not a good choice. Firstly, they only have 1.2 volts compared to 1.5 on alkalines. Then if you run outta juice, you're gonna have to wait 10 hours or so. But M12s charge in like 20 minutes and I have a whole slew of extra batteries. Also No reason you can't use M18. Step down voltage regulators for the other circuits is no problem at all. The amp can be swapped out to higher voltage units. You can't just use a resistor to drop power though. If anything, you can use a step down circuit but if you going to do that, might as well stick with M12. The awesome thing about M18's is that 5aH is pretty standard and you can go much larger. Put this sucker into each storage compartment and you are ready to boogie:

The M12 system is better because they are easy to slide on and off. The M12's, especially the new design batteries are an interference fit that you have to pull/push hard to seat and unseat. For obvious reasons, these thin eggshells aren't the best for lots of tugging and pushing on the cabinet.

As for keeping the transformer and all that BS, like I said, there was mystery work done internally and the power supply is all disconnected and there's spare boards. Not sure what all is happening but I never did like the way the circuit was designed to begin with when I worked on Joe's Dynasty. Look like cheaply and poorly designed circuits. I had big ideas. But you know how it is... money, time, etc all get in the way. So I gotta take things slow. Work a little as money trickles in.

Reactions: floyd

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
I own a whole line of Milwaukee tools. Also Makita and Dewalt. And I have a whole bunch of M12/M18 batteries and they have huge power and last a long time. Going with rechargeable D's and such is not a good choice. Firstly, they only have 1.2 volts compared to 1.5 on alkalines. Then if you run outta juice, you're gonna have to wait 10 hours or so. But M12s charge in like 20 minutes and I have a whole slew of extra batteries. Also No reason you can't use M18. Step down voltage regulators for the other circuits is no problem at all. The amp can be swapped out to higher voltage units. You can't just use a resistor to drop power though. If anything, you can use a step down circuit but if you going to do that, might as well stick with M12. The awesome thing about M18's is that 5aH is pretty standard and you can go much larger. Put this sucker into each storage compartment and you are ready to boogie:

The M12 system is better because they are easy to slide on and off. The M12's, especially the new design batteries are an interference fit that you have to pull/push hard to seat and unseat. For obvious reasons, these thin eggshells aren't the best for lots of tugging and pushing on the cabinet.

As for keeping the transformer and all that BS, like I said, there was mystery work done internally and the power supply is all disconnected and there's spare boards. Not sure what all is happening but I never did like the way the circuit was designed to begin with when I worked on Joe's Dynasty. Look like cheaply and poorly designed circuits. I had big ideas. But you know how it is... money, time, etc all get in the way. So I gotta take things slow. Work a little as money trickles in.
Really all you need is a decent 12 volt bluetooth amplifier and a decent 12 volt battery and you can make this thing f****** rock.

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
Really all you need is a decent 12 volt bluetooth amplifier and a decent 12 volt battery and you can make this thing f****** rock.
I bought one of the original M12 adapters one that was 3D printed off of eBay these things are great.
In the past I have ran my custom boxes off of 18 volt battery but in some cases it makes havoc on the head unit the amplifier is no problem it loves the Power. Since then I only use 12 volt batteries but I've learned to use a solar panel to keep the batteries charged and I just attach it right to the boombox.

lupogtiboy

Member (SA)
Aug 31, 2018
Surrey UK
Here's something you don't see everyday. Or every week. Or every year and decade! Should delight all Sony FH-7 fans out there.

Yep, it's a unicorn and rumor and legend, but it actually exists! THIS is the optional DC power supply unit that no FH-7 seems to have. One would think that it's merely an empty shell to house batteries right? Wrong. The FH-7 amplifiers are extremely high powered and needs high (mains) voltage to do that. Batteries wouldn't even light the LEDs. So in order to make the FH-7 a true portable that you can take to camp grounds, etc, you'll need this which will replace the entire amp unit on the bottom. It has it's own amplifier designed and suitable for battery operation. Oh, and I think it takes 12 D cells.

View attachment 56105
I have a Mk2 version of this I won from eBay for not much money a few years back. I don't think I have the box though sadly!

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
Last "in-box" ones for awhile. I got some more in storage, which I'll try to snap photos of when I get the chance.

That being said, did you know that Sanyo released the M9994 in both flat and upright packaging versions?

View attachment 56181

View attachment 56182
Is that a Soundstream TC 308 cassette head unit hanging out there.
I wish I could get my hands on another before I die.