Mp3 to tape cassette?

sbsshadow

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2019
Evening

What do you guys use to convert your mp3's to tape cassette?

Thank you

Stephen

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Personally, I use my PC to put my mix of songs together then transfer to CD. I then use my component stereo system in the living room to make the transfer. I do this because I can get way better quality recordings. My 3 Head Sony cassette deck allows real time monitoring and has HXPro with tape calibration and bias controls. Also, I am able to EQ the sound if needed. Sometimes I will connect my mp3 player directly to an input on my component system and do the same thing.

I never use any of my boxes for recording because I have really come to enjoy the benefits of the Dolby HXPro headroom extension during playback in my boomboxes. What is really neat is all cassette decks are able to take advantage of HXPro extension whether they have the feature or not. Only Dolby B, C & S require the deck to have Dolby NR for proper playback on those type of recorded tapes. But I like to squeeze every drop of sound out of a cassette that I can....even the cheap ones.

If you are asking with the idea of using a boombox for recordings then use the aux input on your boombox from your PC or MP3 player using a 3.5mm to RCA analog converter cable. If I were to do it on a portable boombox then I would choose my best portable with the highest quality deck (in my case that's the M90) and use the aux inputs to pipe the sound directly into the box for my recordings.

angel6er

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2015
Southern Cali
Transistorized said:
Personally, I use my PC to put my mix of songs together then transfer to CD. I then use my component stereo system in the living room to make the transfer. I do this because I can get way better quality recordings. My 3 Head Sony cassette deck allows real time monitoring and has HXPro with tape calibration and bias controls. Also, I am able to EQ the sound if needed. Sometimes I will connect my mp3 player directly to an input on my component system and do the same thing.

I never use any of my boxes for recording because I have really come to enjoy the benefits of the Dolby HXPro headroom extension during playback in my boomboxes. What is really neat is all cassette decks are able to take advantage of HXPro extension whether they have the feature or not. Only Dolby B, C & S require the deck to have Dolby NR for proper playback on those type of recorded tapes. But I like to squeeze every drop of sound out of a cassette that I can....even the cheap ones.

If you are asking with the idea of using a boombox for recordings then use the aux input on your boombox from your PC or MP3 player using a 3.5mm to RCA analog converter cable. If I were to do it on a portable boombox then I would choose my best portable with the highest quality deck (in my case that's the M90) and use the aux inputs to pipe the sound directly into the box for my recordings.
what he said^^^^^^ :rock:

Nickeccles

Member (SA)
Jan 26, 2016
Littlehampton West Sussex
I use a Technics CD player directly connected to a Technics cassette deck both used solely for making chrome cassette recordings for my boomers! CD's always made on PC & results are stunning tape playback 😊

sbsshadow

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2019
Nickeccles said:
I use a Technics CD player directly connected to a Technics cassette deck both used solely for making chrome cassette recordings for my boomers! CD's always made on PC & results are stunning tape playback
That's great thanks

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
There are only a few boomboxes I would make recordings with. You can find a home hifi deck for less than you would have to pay for a good boombox.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Reli said:

There are only a few boomboxes I would make recordings with.​
You can find a home hifi deck for less than you would have to pay for a good boombox.
I agree 100%. My Sony TC-K850es cost way less than my M90 and makes better quality readings.

The M90 does impress by hitting into the +4 and +6 db with no distortion.

I would like to add that when you record on a boombox, you need to record using the correct bias selection (metal, cr02, type 1). And if your box has NR such as B and you choose to take advantage of that, you should have that turned on.

All of this is subjective as all of our hearing varies. But if you want to do it proper on a boombox, this is the way.

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
Why would you down scale recordings? If you have to use MP3 it should be played directly from the device.

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
A lot of the problems you're going to encounter recording from a PC or whatever source to Hi Fi deck is going to be in the source.

If you're recording recently produced music it's going to need a lot of dialing back to get accurate response on a cassette deck in a reasonable quality boombox. Up until recently I used to make mixtapes of 80s inspired synth/synthtwave music. These tracks are all mastered to modern tastes and require a lot of work adjusting the levels, treble and bass to make a consistent soundstage across a whole side of a cassette. I record directly from iTunes on my Mac into a nice Hi Fi component deck.

There's an art to doing this kind of thing that goes beyond just choosing tunes that work together. I used MixMeister Fusion for all my mixtape stuff, which is a marvellous program for doing this kind of thing. The technical side of recording tapes always has this truism though: the better the source quality the better the recording, so try and keep your mp3's at 320.

Good luck!

Rock On.