The Newest "Sledgehammer" In Tha' BASSment

oldskool69

Staff member
May 5, 2009
'Bama!!! Deep In Da' Heart O' Dixie
I should say "THE" sledgehammer. You would be hard pressed to touch it. It will eat an FH-5, make an FH-7 cry, send my 'Funken Studio 1 scrambling, the ISP sliding, the Denon dragging, and the Pioneer peeing. So many others shuttering windows. And yes RimTim...There isn't a JVC in existence that can "handle it" including the M90 and PC-5/PC-55. :-D :lol:

You'd better bring your "A" game with this bad boy. No extra parts (like the FH-7) to run on batteries, it's built in.

You'd better have enough speaker built in. The 'Funken does not. The original square woofers could handle the juice. I've seen these in action overseas. (This one doesn't have em' and the owner junked them believing they couldn't be re-foamed.)

The soundstage in AMAZING!!! And it goes DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPP!!!!!

It even generates it's own weather system!!! Or air conditioning if you will. :lol:

So what is this unicorn of a boombox...

The mighty:

NATIONAL RX-XE520

IMG_4571.JPGIMG_4572.JPGIMG_4573.JPGIMG_4574.JPGIMG_4575.JPGIMG_4576.JPG

And yes, you read those speakers right: 165w

And yes, you read the power consumption right: Capital "TWO" Capital "FIVE" Capital "ZERO". That's 250 watts of power consumption!!!

YES!!! :thumbsup: :rock: :thumbsup: :rock: :thumbsup: :rock:

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
My god that is a beast! I have never seen one before but god damn that is sweet. Love the spectrum analyser and the backlit tuner :drool: :drool:

Timecop1987

Member (SA)
Jul 24, 2017
Nice!! A new 3-piece added to my wishlist.

What a Great Looker & performer (as you describe)!

Thanks for sharing.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
Fark - this looks serious. I'd like to experience the eye-bulging, wind-rushing, ear-popping effects for myself. One of these has to be on many a wish list but how rare are these? Were they shipped world wide?

deech

Member (SA)
Jan 11, 2012
Athens Greece
Its looks are sweet.
Its performance according to specs and your experience are overwhelming.
Now i d love one of those too. :-D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g93mz_eZ5N4

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
I was lucky enough to witness this beast in person when the Fredster came to visit. There are no non-obscene words to really describe the sound and power it has, but you could totally use "holy ****", "holy ****", and even "holy ****ing ****". :lol: :lol:

For me, the soundstage of the JVC PC-5 was slightly better - sort of like the difference between a 5.1 surround system versus a 7.1 system.

Freddie forgot to mention the weight. Easily 40 pounds / 18 kilos. You will definitely not be walking down the street to the hardcore beat with this beauty.

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
WOW!! Would love to hear a comparison with my modded RX-A5 with 8 woofers....15w per channel but very, VERY efficient & lots of bottom end too....

Nice score...I diefinitely would love 1 of my own to experience...

ford93

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Former New Yorker
First time for me seeing this National. :cool:

I think the replacement speakers gives it a better look and better sound.

BTW congrats and where did you find this rare bird Fred?

oldskool69

Staff member
May 5, 2009
'Bama!!! Deep In Da' Heart O' Dixie
ford93 said:
First time for me seeing this National. :cool:

I think the replacement speakers gives it a better look and better sound.

BTW congrats and where did you find this rare bird Fred?
Saw it on the 'Bay. Tried to get original speakers from the seller but he tossed 'em. Saw them as unrepairable because of the square foam requirements.