2018 West Coast Venice Beach Mini Meet for James JustCruisin

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
Inland Empire, Southern California
Boomboxery friend and member James aka JustCruisin had one heck of a trip while out here in Southern California! But the grand finale was our Venice Beach mini meet before James headed back to Iowa.

It was his 1st time visiting Venice Beach and he had a blast, literally! James and Howie arrived there earlier than the rest of us which gave James time to spend some time at the graffiti walls and show off some of his skills.

Here he is gettin down with the rattle cans

IMG_20180401_004421_170.jpg

And here is what the finished piece looked like! Fresh!

IMG_20180401_004421_169.jpg

A few hours later we began to arrive with boomboxes in hand, and picked a spot next to the basketball courts for the day. The vibe was perfect even though it was an overcast day (It was "California Cold") Lol. Here's some shots

IMG_20180401_013021_451.jpg
Back row from left to right...Dave aka Dr DER/@boomboxjunie, Lastman @thereallastman, Ray aka DJ Curse of the world famous Beat Junkies @iamdjcurse, Hans aka Reli, DJ Earlyworm of Lasonic Audio @lasonicaudio, Melvin aka mellymelsr @mellymelsr, Manny aka mancardo @mancardo and his daughter Lauren @q.pies, Bottom front row from left to right...my son! Lil Stevie aka Lil SLO, Jorge @cocon69, DJ Klass One @klass_one, and myself Steve aka SLO/@oldskool_addict

Screenshot_20180403-000731.jpg
Left to right...Dave, Hans, James aka JustCruisin, Stan aka One Saints @onesaints, DJ Curse, Howie aka Howie1976, Melvin, Manny, Steve, Jorge, Bottom row kneeling from left to right...DJ Klass One and DJ Earlyworm

IMG_20180401_013021_449.jpg
Same folks, except next to Dave is Karissa B @karissanevaeh11, front and center between Jorge and Hans is my childhood friend Albert @soca1_a1 in the Dodgers gear, and on the far right is newcomer and 1st timer at one of our meets, Raul aka @oldskool.33 and his son.

IMG_20180401_001938_029.jpg
My son and our beloved photographer Nannette Ricafotre! @nannetterica40photo on Instagram
59079.jpeg
IMG_20180401_004421_173.jpg
IMG_20180401_013021_452.jpg
Screenshot_20180403-001255.jpg

My favorite part of the day was going live via the Whats app video call with these guys!
IMG-20180401-WA0000.jpg
Myself, Dave aka docs, and Chris aka Lasonic TRC-920 coordinated a time frame so that we could call each other, and bring Southern California and the UK together in real time! 2 mini meets joined together and partying at the same time in different parts of the world, Boomboxery WORLDWIDE!! It was great to say the least, they we're rockin HARD!

20180403_001137.jpg
And after all the blasting, it was time for some Mexican food and drinks! It was a great day in L.A. and fun to host for our friend James :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PECHoJK6pdI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ohjcv2RHWU

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Epic, epic, epic. What a day.

I was gutted to not be present at the UK meet but work commitments just wouldn't allow. So cool to have 2 simultaneous meets around the world, that's reppin right there.

Looks like a blast and you guys sure put on a great meet for JC, Venice Beach is such a good location for it. Nice to put faces to names to, your lil man was reppin hard there and looks like he really enjoyed it with his boomer in hand, what a dude.

Great work guys, boombox brotherhood worldwide

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Great art, great boxes, great location but mosf importantly, great people.

So fresh to see the pics and video chat with you guys. I think we all had a warm fuzzy feeling inside after we talked with you guys, just knowing we were throwing boomer tunes and partying together was such a buzz!

More coordination like this is definitely required!!! C’mon folks!!!

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
T-STER said:
Epic, epic, epic. What a day.
I was gutted to not be present at the UK meet but work commitments just wouldn't allow. So cool to have 2 simultaneous meets around the world, that's reppin right there.
Looks like a blast and you guys sure put on a great meet for JC, Venice Beach is such a good location for it. Nice to put faces to names to, your lil man was reppin hard there and looks like he really enjoyed it with his boomer in hand, what a dude.
Great work guys, boombox brotherhood worldwide
Thanks Tre, my son loves our boxes, hes been around them since he was born Lol... it would have been nice to see you on the live video call bro! Next time!

mancardo said:
It was a great day...the weather had nothing on us and it was such a blast to see you all again. You guys are all family.
Glad you and your daugther came down from Arizona Manny, its always great rockin with you guys ;-) thanks for posting some pictures :thumbsup:

docs said:
Great art, great boxes, great location but mosf importantly, great people.
So fresh to see the pics and video chat with you guys. I think we all had a warm fuzzy feeling inside after we talked with you guys, just knowing we were throwing boomer tunes and partying together was such a buzz!
More coordination like this is definitely required!!! C’mon folks!!!
I agree Dave, that was so sweet to see you guys partying it up out there and representin the boombox! One big worldwide party, we definitely have to do that again :drunk:

Dbzerk said:
Absolutely love it. Such a great effort! Only been to Venice Beach once... Perfect location for a meet!
Dbzerk said:
Absolutely love it. Such a great effort! Only been to Venice Beach once... Perfect location for a meet!
Thanks guys, yea Venice Beach has always been a great place to gather. The people loved our boxes. There's always countless people from all over the world there visiting Venice and stopping by to take pictures, talk to us and ask questions and some just staring at em with a huge smile on their face. They draw people in, and you can see memories come flooding back to some people as they check em out.

JustCruisin

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2012
Midwest, USA
mancardo said:
It was a great day...the weather had nothing on us and it was such a blast to see you all again. You guys are all family.
You said it Manny! I want to emphasize that point for members who have never been to a Boombox Meet..it is worth the trip! Do what you gotta do to afford the trip, it's worth every penny! Maybe I've just gotten lucky, or maybe BBX Collectors are just the KOOLEST people on the planet?! I knew right away at my first meet in Vegas that these people are Family! :yes: It just solidified that fact even more when I made this trip to Cali..:hooray:
I can look at every single person there and smile, because I've met them and know their personality..:-)
Something that can't really be done over this forum..
I got back to cold-ass Iowa last night, and I'm still reeling down from the excitement from this trip! My professional tour guide Howie, exceeded all my expectations, and was such a gracious host with his family..I'm so glad the NorCal dudes made the trip down as well, it was the icing on the cake! Obviously I missed the people from the Vegas meet as well..who knew collecting Boomboxes would bring people all over the world together..? So many memories going through my head right now, I better pause before I start rambling..ha!
LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF THIS CALI EXPERIENCE!!

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
This Boombox thing is getting bigger and Bigger and BIGGER!

Just as James said, these meets are unexplainable. You simply MUST experience it to understand.

Congrats to all the guys on the West Coast for a fantastic meet! YOU ROCK!

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
JustCruisin said:
You said it Manny! I want to emphasize that point for members who have never been to a Boombox Meet..it is worth the trip! Do what you gotta do to afford the trip, it's worth every penny! Maybe I've just gotten lucky, or maybe BBX Collectors are just the KOOLEST people on the planet?! I knew right away at my first meet in Vegas that these people are Family! :yes: It just solidified that fact even more when I made this trip to Cali.. :hooray:
I can look at every single person there and smile, because I've met them and know their personality.. :-)
Something that can't really be done over this forum..
I got back to cold-ass Iowa last night, and I'm still reeling down from the excitement from this trip! My professional tour guide Howie, exceeded all my expectations, and was such a gracious host with his family..I'm so glad the NorCal dudes made the trip down as well, it was the icing on the cake! Obviously I missed the people from the Vegas meet as well..who knew collecting Boomboxes would bring people all over the world together..? So many memories going through my head right now, I better pause before I start rambling..ha!
LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF THIS CALI EXPERIENCE!!
James it was great hanging out with you again bro! Lets do Vegas! Im glad you made it home safely too. I hope Howie can chime in and share some of your guys adventures with the forum. Im happy that you enjoyed So Cal! :clap:

blu_fuz said:
OH
MY
GAWD
Come visit us sometime Joe! :rock:

Lasonic TRC-920 said:
This Boombox thing is getting bigger and Bigger and BIGGER!

Just as James said, these meets are unexplainable. You simply MUST experience it to understand.

Congrats to all the guys on the West Coast for a fantastic meet! YOU ROCK!
Thanks Chris, we really miss you out here man, but Im glad we got to see you live and direct! :chris920:

@metalhandbag Thanks bro! @stereomad You are welcome to California anytime man, anyone that has made the pilgrimage out here has not been disappointed with their trip :-D

Styleking said:
Great pics! I wish the East Coast would get together!
Aint nothin to it, but to DO IT! There are plenty of East Coast members, so I for one would love to see a meet happen out there

howie1976

Member (SA)
Nov 14, 2014
SoCal
Hey guys, long time no post but it's my pleasure to give you the run down on James' week in Cali. Since I am a teacher, I had the week off for spring break and used all that time off to hang out and show James around.

He arrived last Monday at 10:00 pm. I picked him up at LAX and gave him the proper Cali welcome by taking him to In-N-Out burger. 😎👍

Waiting for him at my place was a modest fold out bed in my boom room. This served as home base for James' trip.
IMG_9313.JPG048084ee-f059-4669-ae76-cb5f82ae59b3.jpg13a252f4-3856-4bc6-9b81-9089614495f0.jpg

We spent most of the week leading up to the Venice Meet by driving all around LA by car, train, bus and subway (Tube).

We went to the Peterson Automotive Museum where they had an exhibit on low riders.
IMG_9324.JPG

Then we went and had lunch at Roscoe's Chicken and Waffle.
6a96020e-31ae-4f8f-aaaa-a0ba351d064d.jpg
IMG_9323.JPG

Then we cruised down Crenshaw Blvd and drove through South LA aka "the Hood." I took him to the Slauson Swap Meet and the rows of vendors blew James away.
IMG_9253.JPG

Next we went to the famous Watts Towers.
IMG_9321.JPG

Then James felt like reading so I took him to the Library. 😃

Attachments

howie1976

Member (SA)
Nov 14, 2014
SoCal
On another day we spent 12 hours exploring LA via train and the various forms of public transportation that most people claim LA doesn't have. 🤔

We arrived at Union Station in downtown LA and went across the street to visit Olvera Street. This is know as the street that eventually would grow to become the city of Los Angeles.
IMG_9320.JPGIMG_9317.JPGIMG_9264.JPG

Then we took the subway to Pershing Square which is in the center of downtown LA. We also went to the top of that building behind James. It's the U.S. Bank Building and its the highest observation building on the Westcoast. The 360 degree view of LA is amazing.
IMG_9265.JPG

Next we took a bus to the Art District of LA and took a 2 and a half hour walking tour of LA's vibrant art district. We saw dozens and dozens of buildings with some of the most amazing murals, street art and grafitti.
IMG_9276.JPG

Next we went via subway up to Hollywood. Where we walked down the world famous Hollywood Blvd.
IMG_9319.JPGIMG_9318.JPG

I had so much fun showing James around. He took a lot more photos than I did. I hope he gets a chance to post them so you all could see LA from his perspective.

James was the perfect guest. A few days before he arrived I asked him what kind of food he liked so I could stalk up my refrigerator for the week he was here. He replied, "I'm not picky. If you guys eat lasagna for breakfast, I'll eat lasagna for breakfast. If you guys are vegan, I'll be vegan for a week." Like I said, James was a perfect guest.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Really cool trip and Howie you are the man for hookin JC up with a place to stay and kick ass tour.

JustCruisin

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2012
Midwest, USA
Hey everyone! This awesome adventure began when I flew out of Des Moines, made a pitstop in Dallas, and finally landing in LA!
image.jpg

Waking up in Howies BoomRoom, I would just lay there and stare at his Blasters for almost an hour each morning, admiring how clean his Collection is!
image.jpg

Although Howie did all the driving, he did let me cruise his whip after getting a fresh detail!
image.jpg

The freeway out there is more fast paced than the hiways back in Iowa..:lol:
image.jpg

The Peterson Automotive Museum was incredible! So many top notch cars, even ones from the movies! Obviously my main interest was the Lowrider exhibit, but I was admiring everything there!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
That's awesome . you guys rock!.
James is such a cool guy he deserves it. I cherish the boombox I bought from him because he's as honest as they come and the box still works perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.