MIXXTAPE cassette with Bluetooth

Status
Not open for further replies.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
I have one of these on the way to me from epay, I saw it the other day and wanted to see how well it works compared to the older models I have. Last year there was a Kickstarter campaign for what's essentially an improvement on the original mp3 cassette, but now supports more formats, larger memory cards, has Bluetooth 4.0, and a backlit screen.

Product pitch on Kickstarter

Main site

ford93

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Former New Yorker
Cool concept and it's good to see the Cassette still being considered as a format for listening.

I have the necklace on my Crown Vic rear view mirror. A gift from a very good friend of mine.............. Hemiguy2006!!

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
Inland Empire, Southern California
caution said:
I have one of these on the way to me from epay, I saw it the other day and wanted to see how well it works compared to the older models I have. Last year there was a Kickstarter campaign for what's essentially an improvement on the original mp3 cassette, but now supports more formats, larger memory cards, has Bluetooth 4.0, and a backlit screen.

Product pitch on Kickstarter

Main site
Keep us updated when you get it Eric, I'd like to hear what you think of it

Nickeccles

Member (SA)
Jan 26, 2016
Littlehampton West Sussex
Me too!

I love Bluetooth technology - My JVC PC-5 has a tiny rechargeable module in the battery compartment & the sound quality from a decent source is superb!

If this is anything near as good it could be a winner, bit costly though, my module with all audio adapters for pretty much any scenario was a mere £14 :-D

Nickeccles

Member (SA)
Jan 26, 2016
Littlehampton West Sussex
This one Tre:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetooth-4-Wireless-Audio-Receiver-Stereo-Music-Adapter-BTR006-For-Speaker/142706821911?epid=7003304834&hash=item2139fd4b17:g:qhIAAOSwH3hZ50WS

Tiny, battery lasts forever too & you get the leads for different scenario's! Extraordinary sound quality as long as the source is good 256kbps or higher mp3 Lame, Lossless or Wave files - I only bought one for a mess around really but it turned out to be a really useful device! Buy one I cannot recommend this enough!

Search for a BIN in UK there are plenty

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
I had one of these some time back. It worked, but the problem was, every time I turned it on, it would start at the first song. So even if I had 500 songs on it, I only heard the first few. Even on random, it would only play the same first ones in the "random" order.

Interested to know if this one is better.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Chris, you probably have the one that's been around for a while, with a remote. If so, you can jump songs by entering a number on the keypad and hitting enter (play). So if you have 500 songs, any number between 1 and 500 will access a track. I think it sorts by date.

It finally arrived and got a chance to give it a good workout. I'll give it a 7/10. It's fine for its basic use as a mixtape that will play without interruption, but some serious drawbacks. The manual is here for the curious.

Nice:
• Works like those tape adapters for car decks, but wireless!
• Spring-loaded MicroSD slot that accepts type 10 cards as large as 128 gigs
• Supports FLAC, MP3, WMA, OGG, APE, WAV, AAC-LC, ACELP, and Audible.
• Built-in LCD Display with adjustables for brightness and blanking timeout
• Headphone jack that gets plenty loud
• Remembers where it was in a track and will pick up there on next use
• MicroUSB Port (comes with full-size USB adapter) lets you load songs to the card like any thumb drive
• Play modes! Single repeat, folder once/repeat, all once/repeat, and "intro" (first 10 seconds of all songs)
• Sleep timer
• Multiple languages

Meh:
• BT only transmits. It can't pair to your phone for music. There is also no app written for it, which would give you the remote it's missing. Maybe the next gen.

• Built-in battery kind of small at 200mAh. They claim 12+ hours but I'm wagering 2-3.

• Capacitive touch control panel. This may be necessary to avoid squeezing it, but the buttons are so close together that it fails to register a lot. Spread them out, make them larger, and since they're all being used for different reasons depending on the mode you're in, label them, not just a single tape button symbol.

• EQ selections are pretty dismal. Of the five, only "Jazz" expands treble and bass adequately.

• You can't just turn it on and hear music, play must be pressed first.

Lame:
• No remote. Even though this is official, there is a sensor on the board and a hole for it, located on a side on the alignment ridge, so it can be seen when in a side-loading deck. I hope they just ran out of time to implement it 100%, because without one, everything you want to change - volume, track, EQ, all of it - you have to take it out of the player.

• You're told to fully understand user manual before use. They're sort of right.

• Screen size is so small I have to squint. Gives me a headache. It seems to use one of those old Chinese off-the-shelf MP3 players from years ago, but now with a tape head output. I've got a couple different ones that were cheap giveaways at trade fairs. You can scan about one song/second at full speed. Volume is worse because once you hit a certain point it displays an ear, saying you must press the menu button to confirm that you want to "go to 11"

• You can't simply turn it off. You must hold a switch for three seconds while a countdown finishes.

• There aren't separate up/down buttons for volume and tracks. You have to press the VOL button to change from the playback screen to the volume screen. Sorry not press, but hold for three seconds. Just tapping it throws you back to the main menu, because VOL doubles as the "back" button for menu navigation.

goodman

Member (SA)
Jun 14, 2011
Bulgaria
caution, thanks for review. This cassette is good idea, but with many "-".

I use my cheap mp3 SD card cassette from time to time. He has remote control.

Status
Not open for further replies.