Rec/PB Din Connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
I'm not sure if this subject has been discussed in length...

I have many radio's that have a DIN style connector on the side/back that say REC/PB.

Is this connector....
  1. For connection to a home stereo system?
  2. A remote control (think M90)?
  3. To connect to another Boombox?
  4. Line In?
  5. Line Out?
How is this feature utilized?

20170106_114733.jpg20170106_115951.jpg20170106_120110.jpg

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
The DIN standard originated in Germany. It relates to a variety of round connectors with a varying number of pins and pin lay outs. Mainly used as a European standard. The 5 DIN (5 pin) female connectors found on boomboxes usually replace the RCA inputs / outputs found on models destined for outside Europe destinations.

The connectors can be configured in many ways depending on the application. Basically, they offer REC/PB - Recording and playback. The same connector is reconfigured as an M90 remote connector. They use 2 pin DIN connectors on home stereo speakers too.

I've found the sensitivity of the DIN circuitry on most boomboxes to be lower than the RCA inputs of the same make and model made for another market. E.G JVC M90 - The euro M90 5 DIN inputs aren't great for MP3 playback.

Here is an example of a 5 DIN connector. The pin allocation will differ for different applications.
View attachment 31948

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
That input is found on nearly every Euro-market box. Usually it functions as a Line In that requires you to press Record (or Record/Play).

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Anything, including your phone. Start with your phone on minimum volume. If it's still distorted at minimum volume, just turn down the bass. If that doesn't work, you'll need a Phono Attenuator.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
Looking at the diagram (above), this shows a L+R Line In & L+R Line Out (the equivalent of 2 x twin RCA's) so you should be able to plug the other end of the cable to another audio item for '2-way comms' just like a Line In with the convenience of a Line Out within the same connection (as long as the audio item at the other end accepts the same configuration).

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Reli said:
Anything, including your phone. Start with your phone on minimum volume. If it's still distorted at minimum volume, just turn down the bass. If that doesn't work, you'll need a Phono Attenuator.
I know people have used this plug this way. But I'm still wondering what it was used for, say back in the day. Maybe I am missing something or not fully understanding. If this was 1983, what would I plug the other end of that cable into?

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Chris if these types of plugs are anything like the old kenwood and alpine car stereos and amps were all connected directly together via a din cable. I guess it was to have a one wire connection to reduce clutter and noise introduced from the wiring .usually it's a din plug to din plug connection.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
I know people have used this plug this way. But I'm still wondering what it was used for, say back in the day. Maybe I am missing something or not fully understanding. If this was 1983, what would I plug the other end of that cable into?
Old School Hi- Fi Amplifiers (usually) have at least one of these types of connectors at the back so you should be able to plug 'the other end' of your cable into a Hi-Fi amp to blast your BB like never before through a Hi-Fi system as a Line In/Aux In. :yes:

BurchSung

Member (SA)
Jun 15, 2018
Hi...i am a new user here. I also faced the same confusion, so as per my observation here you should be able to plug the other end of the cable to another audio item for two way communications just like a Line In with the convenience of a Line Out within the same connection.

percentage calculator

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
These are a looking backwards and are superceded by RCA. DIN are generally listed with a smaller fequency range starting at 30Hz.

Status
Not open for further replies.