My B-B-B-BOOM Room - Phase 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
I've been a bit quite recently as I've been very busy creating Phase 1 of my Boom Room. It's a task I didn't find easy as it's not something I'm used to although I have worked with wood before and have basic 'DIY' skills but I didn't anticipate the blisters, broken nails, perspiration or stress involved but I got there in the end. :yes:

Phase 1 consists of 4 deep shelves on one wall and 3 shallow shelves on the opposing wall in a room size of 3m x 2m/10' x 6.5' approximately. My first dilemma was a desire for shelving with no upright supports getting in the way or interrupting the visual flow of the display, this would also maximise usable shelf space. As the walls are made of some kind of grey composite material ('ash block'?) I needed to go way overboard on shelf supports as I'd selected a standard right-angle design with no bracing strut, the struts would have got in the way of my BB display.

First Job: Mark out the walls and drill all the holes for the supports making allowances for concealed electric wiring.
01DSCF2946asfw.jpg

Next, paint the walls and then fit the brackets:
05DSCF2925asfw.jpg

The next step was to make a nice cup of tea to calm myself down after I saw the mess I was making once the woodwork was started:
19DSCF2969asfw.jpg

Woodwork being completed it was time for painting and this required 2 coats or primer/undercoat with 6 hours between coats then two top coats of satin gloss needing 4 hours between coats. Each coat took 3 hours to apply to all surfaces as it was an awkward space to manoeuvre long shelves around prior to them being fitted. To save time, I applied one coat of paint to all surfaces and then took time off to eat & sleep so this set the routine until all the painting was done. :yes:

Shelves were fitted to the supports, radios were displayed and another cup of tea was made by way of a celebration drink whilst I admired the fruits of my labours:
DSCF2993asfw.jpg

DSCF2993basfw.jpg

DSCF2999asfw.jpg

You can see more pics on this Dropbox link, just 'press to continue' when the pop-up log-in screen shows and you'll be taken to the pics. I could only squeeze 35 BB's on these particular shelves so I've also posted pics of some of my other boxer boxes on temporary shelves elsewhere. So far I have collected 53 BB's (excluding donor/parts boxes and this is the first time I've seen so many of my BB's on display at once. Phase 2, Phase 3 & Phase 4 of my BB display arrangements may be needed sooner than I thought! Sorry to disappoint the hardened BB veterans but I have no really big hitters yet, I need a little longer for this.

As well as the materials I had to invest in some tools so now I have these ready for the next phase and I'll post the details when this is ready. The big downside was the MESS! :w00t: Saw dust and wood shavings I can cope with as gravity tends to leave these in a small area making a clean-up relatively easy but the fine grey dust from drilling the walls went all over the house even tough I kept doors closed so now it's a case of clean, clean, clean! :yes: All in all it took me the best part of three weeks to do this allowing for a couple of days rest and time for the blisters on my hands to disappear (twice).

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Holy crap thats fantastic. I'm a carpenter by trade and I'm way too lazy to do all that lol.
I dont know a of another woman that does that kind of work especially to the extent you have. All I can say is killer job.

im_alan_partridge

Member (SA)
Jul 21, 2010
London, England.
Wow, this really is some great work :yes: Proper dedication right there.

Also i must say i had no idea you had so many boxes, a collection is all about personal taste and your boxes show you have plenty of that.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
JVC Floyd said:
Holy crap thats fantastic. I'm a carpenter by trade and I'm way too lazy to do all that lol.
I dont know a of another woman that does that kind of work especially to the extent you have. All I can say is killer job.
Thank you very much! The shelf material is 12mm plywood as this has a high weight-to-strength ratio and the front softwood edging for the shelves I had rebated by the timber merchant. The problem was that the machinist made the rebate too deep so my neighbour gave me an old Stanley no.78 rebate plane but with missing parts. I bought the missing parts off eBay then used the rebate plate to level the lip flush with the shelving - it took forever! I also bought a router for the job but found it rather heavy and cumbersome so this went back in the box.

My late mother taught me decorating during my teen years and learning about woodwork as an extra curriculum activity whilst in college has helped much over the years as I like my independence. :yes: :thumbsup:

im_alan_partridge said:
Wow, this really is some great work :yes: Proper dedication right there.

Also i must say i had no idea you had so many boxes, a collection is all about personal taste and your boxes show you have plenty of that.
Space is limited for me so I'm trying to acquire a range of different styles of BB's for my collection, even a few cheapo ones if they offer something reflective of The Golden Era of Boomboxery. I may manage 90 or so if space permits. Many thanks for the complimentary words.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Dang, that's a lot of work! Most excellent craftsmanship - especially the vertical spacing between rows. :cool:

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Fatdog said:
Dang, that's a lot of work! Most excellent craftsmanship - especially the vertical spacing between rows. :cool:
Thank, Fatdog. The shelf spacings vary to accommodate the differing heights of BB's thereby maximising the wall area to best effect. Sadly, the relatively low ceiling height didn't offer the extra space needed for a Handles Up Salute of the BB display. The middle shelf of the 3 shelf arrangement is designed for taller BB's as they arrive in due course so I've doubled up with lower height boxes in the meantime but minis will eventually have their own dedicated area.

I'll be approaching Phase 2 soon which will see the lower half of the room made ready for other audio from the 70's/80's along with cassette, vinyl & CD storage, surround sound, extension speakers etc. so there's still a way to go. :yes:

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
That's going to be quite the room when finished. I'm excited to see how you build out the lower half. :yes: :cool:

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
your results are beautiful and i know you are very very very proud of your great work -
i love the story about your need to borrow a planer and then order/wait for the parts --
and then there were the 50 other speed bumps and mountains you didnt mention ...
you are the ultimate collector :clap: :clap: :bow: :thumbsup: :drool: :rock: :rock:

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
redbenjoe said:
your results are beautiful and i know you are very very very proud of your great work -
i love the story about your need to borrow a planer and then order/wait for the parts --
and then there were the 50 other speed bumps and mountains you didnt mention ...
you are the ultimate collector :clap: :clap: :bow: :thumbsup: :drool: :rock: :rock:
Aw, thanks - and you're absolutely right about all the trials and tribulations along the way but planning and preparation was the key. The material the walls are made of can loosen around the drill bit as drilling occurs thereby enlarging the hole by a tiny amount and this is not good as it can affect the grip of the wall plugs so.........after all 348 ( :w00t:) holes were drilled I vacuumed out all remaining loose material out of each hole and inserted a small amount of filler immediately before inserting each plug. I was beginning to feel a bit obsessive or paranoid about it all but it had to be done, Knots in the wood had to be sealed prior to painting, dust induced sneezing had to be allowed for, gritty eyes washed out......................I mean, even stirring the acrylic primer/undercoat took me almost an hour - it had set like toffee in the bottom of the paint tin! Thank goodness for gallons of strong Yorkshire tea to see me through! :yes:

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
MyOhMyMyOhMyOhMyOhMyOhMyOhMyOhMyOhMyOhMy
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

HOLY MOLY! That is a TON of work! I never even came close to that many wall brackets and shelves and my Boomroom was a MONSTER job!

:bow: Mega Respect :bow:

I had no idea you has so many radios. Of course this isn't about grails, era's, styles or quantity it's about PASSION and you have LOTS OF PASSION!

I have to go see those other pictures! :w00t:

THAFUZZ

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Midwest, USA
Ms.Christine, that's fantastic work. I a very impressed with both the shelving, and the collection of radios acquired so far. Excellent!

ralrein1

Member (SA)
Well what can I say,that the others haven't already said? Just that you have done one hell of an awesome job!!! Really killer set up and execution of all fasets(is that how you spell that?)of an impressive job. Your collection is outstanding as well! Seems you've been holding out on us with the pictures of your acquisitions as they come in.
Keep up the GREAT work!!!You rock!

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Way to go! I knew you jumped into collecting, but I wasn't aware you had so many!

Grest job, you used a ton of brackets. Those should hold everything you need them to! Looks awesome M.O.M.

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
I don't even know where to begin!?
Ms. Christine you have done nothing but pleasantly surprise me since your first days on this site. Fantastic work.
35 boomboxes!? Did I miss 30 of your threads!?
Excellent craftsmanship and dedication.
Unreal.
The only thing missing is a picture of YOU! I've got to get a face to go with your name. Youre like some sort of enigma. You are one unbelievable mysterious woman!
Glad you found us.

Status
Not open for further replies.