Teufel Boomster XL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy

Member (SA)
Sep 21, 2010
Hannover, Germany
As the market is slowly starting to pop out bigger bluetooth speakers I have recently purchased my first modern boombox: a Teufel Boomster XL. Teufel is a Berlin-based hifi-brand which doesn't give its products to resellers so the only source is their own online shop. Getting one of these outside of Europe will be an expensive endeavour. The official price tag is 600€ but I got 10% off for being a student.
http://www.teufel.de/bluetooth/boomster-xl-p15634.html

The price is rather steep but it is pretty much worth it. The Boomster XL has a three-way 2.1 driver setup with a downfire sub and easily smokes any boombox I have ever heard. The overall sound is excellent, it get's very loud without noticable distortion and the bass hits hard and precisely. And it's even quite good to carry with sink-in-handles on both sides and a proper strap. Size and weight might scare off people who are used to pocket-sized bluetooth speakers but certainly noone around here. The Boomster has an 3.5mm aux jack, bluetooth and FM radio. It also comes with three EQ presets (flat, loudness, reduced bass for open spaces/energy saving) and extra treble/bass controls. The battery is supposed to hold through 10 hours of play at medium volume which is more than enough in my opinion but I haven't had it run for this long yet.

I have found a few videos about the Boomster XL on this channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T4A-uVXjEA
You'll also find a link to an online comparison tool to compare the Teufel to the Aiwa for example.

Summing things up: I am pleased. I appreciate portable bluetooth speakers getting bigger and heavier and thus hitting harder. A big and great sounding bluetooth speaker like this is great ourtside and around the house as well. And I also very much like the modern design of this Teufel with its sleek black metal which is another plus it has on many 90s boomboxes and even some other modern bluetooth speakers.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Great review and pictures. The future is here! Companies have finally figured out that people want to go outside and get loud. It is a bit pricey, but our classic boxes, like the M90 you have pictured with cost more than this when it was new back in the 80's. So, it's really a good deal.

Zippy

Member (SA)
Sep 21, 2010
Hannover, Germany
Teufel is not an international 'mainstream' brand but it does have a name around here and quality definitely sticks to it. Teufel might be new in the portable game but they have been professionally manufacturing hifi systems for over 30 years. In Germany Teufel isn't niche. They are all about an image of quality and thus have great customer service. They also give you 12 years of guarantee on chassis, case and crossover networks (only the regular 2 years on amp and other electronic components). So this thing is, internally and case-wise, actually built to last which is a nice thing nowadays. I'd definitely put more trust in this thing to hold than on a mainstream mass production device. On the other hand Teufel comes with the best sides of big companies' support capabilities: the company will still be around in ten years should I need to claim guarantee on a driver and they are willingly prepared to respond to claims. But yeah, as their strategy is good quality and good support at the expense of a broadly international target group you pretty much have to live in Germany for all that.

I'm trying not to sound like a fanboy. But I honestly think the Boomster XL is currently the best portable speaker on the market and also a good choice long-term-wise. My argument being that all the big companies that used to make our favourite boomboxes have changed their strategies since the 80s. I don't expect them to produce top quality deviced like back then anymore. I'd put my trust for meeting my expectations in smaller but still experienced and professional brands that are actually targeting audiophiles.

p.s.: By the way, this thing gets louder and sounds better than the new Aiwa :-P Admittedly I haven't compared them in person but there's a few pretty well-done comparison videos on the channel I have linked to in the first post. And yes, you can get two of those Aiwas for the price of one Teufel Boomster XL. But that's besides the point. Also, who will carry around two devices?

p.p.s.: Fun fact: Teufel says their research has shown that most people don't actually take out their bluetooth speakers very often which is why a big device that's a proper home stereo but can run on battery as well is a better option than owning both a stationary audio system and a portable speaker. While the bunch of us certainly likes to take out audio devices a lot I still think they have a point.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Nice, 5 speakers, anodized aluminum case, FM radio, Line In, 22 lbs

Any pics with its grill removed?

hardmen

Member (SA)
Jul 20, 2010
Brazil
www.instagram.com
Boomster XL it's a bit more louder than E9, but costs twice...
I'm very curious about that sound.
In my particular case, two E9 is intetesting for use in link mode (for our monthly street meetings).

Nice catch Frederik!

Cheers.

Zippy

Member (SA)
Sep 21, 2010
Hannover, Germany
The grill is not removable. I guess Tuefel wants everything to sit tightly in order to prevent rattling and enhance durability.

And yeah, it costs twice. But not only for being a bit louder, also for sounding better and being built much sturdier. So the price is steep but reasonable. And the portability is really a lot better. But I do appreciate the Aiwa E9. It would have been my second choice, especially for its power for price ratio.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Looks like a well built machine. I wish I could see the inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.