At last - FOUND YOU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
Hello Everybody!

I couldn't believe there were any Appreciation Societies for boom boxes and other nostalgic audio paraphernalia! I'm a bit of a slow typist having long since seen my days of youth so please bear with me at times and I've not used a forum for a few years so my posts my not be too polished until I get the hang of it all!

I bought a Sharp GF9000 brand new in 1983 whilst in Saudi Arabia and enjoyed if for many years until downsizing my accommodation meant I sadly had to let it go. I can't remember when exactly but probably 10-15 years ago.

HOWEVER................the person I GAVE(!) it away to hadn't appreciated it 'cos he was having a (dirty) shed clear-out a couple of weeks ago and almost threw the GF9000 into a bin!!! "WHOAH!" I cried, "Just a minute....". There it was, no ariel, speaker bashed in, paint splashed, missing treble slider and no clear cover on the cassette compartment! I thought it might be worth a try so I plugged it in to find one speaker (the undamaged one) didn't work, the other volume control slider crackling like gawd knows what and the tape playback almost inaudible. How sad.

Nothing to lose here, I thought, so I took it home removed the front and did my (untrained, amateurish) best for the poor ol' thing. I couldn't believe the difference! A good clean followed and it now looks and sounds pretty decent. I was even surprised myself how good it looks. I fashioned a temporary cassette compartment cover from a CD case an fixed in place as a temporary measure to keep dust out and straightened out the bashed in speaker grill. Next was the ariel so I bought a cheap Sharp QT250 off eBay and stripped out the ariel to fit then realised the mounting post in the GF9000 was snapped off close to it's base! A quick removal of a QT250 post and subsequent adaption of the mount saw this fixed good and solid for the replacement ariel so I was much relieved to say the least 'cos this is all ne to me. I'm quite practical but know almost nothing of the inner working of gadgetry!

So, my GF9000 has returned home and will now serve me well for many years - I hope! I have a problem with restoring the tuning 'string thingey' but I'll save that for a forum post.

Glad to be here!

Christine

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
-GZ- said:
We have several outstanding UK members here...
That's so refreshing to hear! I just can't understand how some of you guys have managed to learn The Master Craft Of Boom Box Wizardry! Since re-acquiring my GF9000 I've lurked on here for a couple of weeks and was amazed by all the technical expertise, expert level know-how and unrivalled enthusiasm, it's an inspiration to say the least.

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Welcome aboard MyOhMy !! Glad you rescued the 9000. I have one myself and think they look amazing. I really enjoyed the story of its return to greatness.

As GZ says there are some awesome UK members here, but to be fair everyone is very cool, you'll enjoy your stay :yes:

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
T-STER said:
Welcome aboard MyOhMy !! Glad you rescued the 9000. I have one myself and think they look amazing. I really enjoyed the story of its return to greatness.

As GZ says there are some awesome UK members here, but to be fair everyone is very cool, you'll enjoy your stay :yes:
Hi T-STER and thanks. Mine isn't restored to greatness yet although it's looking very good and looks far better than many specimens I've recently seen pictures of! I need a three or four small parts but and found a supplier listing a couple I've yet to check out and a couple of other things I'd like to do but all in good time!

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Yup that is a legendary thread, Si really brought that box back It had some pretty tough cosmetic issues but the ned result looked incredible.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Northerner said:
Welcome from another UK member! I've fixed up a couple of 9000's including this one https://boomboxery.com/forum/index.php/topic/16282-smashing-sharp-gf9000/?fromsearch=1

Definitely needs some pics of the progress :-)
Hiya! Yes, I saw that thread a week or two ago and was totally in awe of the transformation - "If Carlsberg did boom box restoration...."!!! TBH, that was the thread that gave me hope more than any other but I'll be first to admit that my own neglected and abused GF9000 will be cared for now it's back in my arms.

I've no pics at the mo but imagine an operating theatre fro mechanical goods with bits strewn all over and you'll get the idea. It's only now that I regret not taking 'before' shots.

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
MyOhMy said:
Hiya and.....nope, nah! I'm in Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
Aaah. Well welcome!!!

If you ever feel like it, look up "Dave Neihaus Highlights" on YouTube. You'll see what I mean about your name. A fantastic Baseball announcer.

Status
Not open for further replies.