*Tape Deck Restoration - Hitachi TRK-9150W

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Hi Guys,

Well I've been on a boombox maintenance/restoration blitz lately and my latest patient is my Hitachi TRK-9150W. This unit was purchased from Brian (Terry) months ago in a partly operational condition. The unit was pretty dirty, had a dead deck but a good tuner and the amp sounded strong. ;-)

Upon inspection, I realised the deck was partly frozen with a jammed Pause key and Timer Edit key. I also couldn't operate the FFWD/RWD buttons when the unit was in play mode. The tape heads were completely rusted also so those would have to be replaced. The LCD clock was dead too so there was some work to do. :-O

I quickly got the LCD display working OK but if you've ever had one of these tank Hitachis' apart, you would know how much of a pain the decks are to work on. So there I was months ago with a nice sounding radio with an excellent Line In but the deck remained non-operational (my pet hate). :sadno:

Fast forward a few months and a half dozen completed restorations, I was now prepared to tackle the TRK-9150W!

View attachment 3116
View attachment 3117
Speakers detached:
View attachment 3118

The back removed after disconnecting around 12 wires.
View attachment 3119
View attachment 3120
Five more screws removed, control knobs removed and the top panel removed. Time to pull the chassis:
View attachment 3121
At this stage, I got to work disconnecting the tape heads and tape counter which had lost its' numbers.
Then I de-soldered the deck motor power wires and the earth wire. After removing the 4 deck screws, the deck can now be moved about 5 cms - just enough room to get a small screwdriver in to remove the micro switch behind the deck. Then the deck can be flipped over just enough to get access to the 2 white wires that need to be be unscrewed from the deck motor. OK, now finally the deck could be lifted free!!

Now it was time to fit the replacement tape heads from my parts box. After flipping the deck over, I got to work freeing up the frozen pivot point in the Pause mechanism - that took over 20 minutes just to isolate the offending part. :hmmm:
View attachment 3122
Deck as removed - one intact but loose tape counter belt, the rest were a sticky mess plus jammed/seized mechanisms. This deck has obviously been non-operational for many years+! Look at the size of this Hitachi deck - it's huge!
View attachment 3123
After lubricating and rebelting the deck, I realised one of the idler wheels was sticky as it wasn't spinning freely when turning the flywheel. My parts box came to the rescue again with a free spinning part that fixed the problem. Unfortunately, after removing this part, I saw that the plastic post the part pivots on had broken free from its' base. :thumbsdown: Super glue and JB weld came to rescue again and it's now repaired!

After reassembly, I can say that this deck now sounds beautiful. No warble, correct speed (non adjustable motor by the way), clear bass, mids and highs and the auto stop works correctly!

I love the two flashing lights that tell the user the deck is in operation - very cool!

Quick video showing the unit first playing the radio, then recording the radio, then playing back the new recording:

http://youtu.be/-2yPDvXGpjQ

Thanks,

James... :-)

superlew

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2012
Woburn, MA
Great Work! :thumbsup:
That's why I don't bother with a dead deck until I have all the necessary parts to revive it. Once I yank a deck, I never want to do it again.
...And I thought my M9990 deck was tough...

Alberto

Member (SA)
Jan 3, 2013
Wallingford,Ct. USA
Great Job Jimmy. I have the same unit, it is the only 3 piece boombox I own. I never liked 3 piece boomers because of the exposed speaker wires in the back. This unit all wires are concealed which caught my interest." Look Ma No Wires" :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

2013-08-03 10.11.28.jpg
2013-08-03 10.12.59.jpg
2013-08-03 10.13.11.jpg
2013-08-03 10.13.42.jpg

Alberto

Member (SA)
Jan 3, 2013
Wallingford,Ct. USA
superlew said:
Great Work! :thumbsup:
That's why I don't bother with a dead deck until I have all the necessary parts to revive it. Once I yank a deck, I never want to do it again.
...And I thought my M9990 deck was tough...
Rebelting The Sanyo M 9990 was harder. it was a pain in the A$$

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Great job James :thumbsup: As for Sanyo's they are the harder of the decks to work on besides Aiwa. But lately since restoring a half dozen or more it comes very easy for me ;-)

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Alberto said:
Great Job Jimmy. I have the same unit, it is the only 3 piece boombox I own. I never liked 3 piece boomers because of the exposed speaker wires in the back. This unit all wires are concealed which caught my interest." Look Ma No Wires" :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

2013-08-03 10.11.28.jpg
2013-08-03 10.12.59.jpg
2013-08-03 10.13.11.jpg
2013-08-03 10.13.42.jpg
I'm glad you're happy with your 3 piecer - you actually don't need to have those wires connected at all when the speakers are hooked up. The rear top and bottom hooks are your positive and negative speaker terminals.

Alberto said:
Rebelting The Sanyo M 9990 was harder. it was a pain in the A$$
I've re-belted and recapped my M9990 and I'd have to say they're both a pain in the A$$! :-D
baddboybill said:
Great job James :thumbsup: As for Sanyo's they are the harder of the decks to work on besides Aiwa. But lately since restoring a half dozen or more it comes very easy for me ;-)
Thanks Bill, as you know from my previous comments, your restoration threads inspired me to get on the tools and learn some new skills - every new boombox is its' own new adventure!

James.... :-)

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
I'm glad you're happy with your 3 piecer - you actually don't need to have those wires connected at all when the speakers are hooked up. The rear top and bottom hooks are your positive and negative speaker terminals.

I've re-belted and recapped my M9990 and I'd have to say they're both a pain in the A$$! :-D
Thanks Bill, as you know from my previous comments, your restoration threads inspired me to get on the tools and learn some new skills - every new boombox is its' own new adventure!

James.... :-)

Thanks for the nice words :thumbsup: the best thing is the ending result with having a beautifully restored boomer :drool:

kraftmatic

Member (SA)
Jun 12, 2012
Los Angeles, USA
Wow, great work. It's always good to hear about a deck resto that's successful. So many times I've been stumped by problems I just can't figure out. Congrats!

dkanarek

Member (SA)
Sep 29, 2015
Seymour, Connecticut
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
Hi Guys,

Well I've been on a boombox maintenance/restoration blitz lately and my latest patient is my Hitachi TRK-9150W. This unit was purchased from Brian (Terry) months ago in a partly operational condition. The unit was pretty dirty, had a dead deck but a good tuner and the amp sounded strong. ;-)

Upon inspection, I realised the deck was partly frozen with a jammed Pause key and Timer Edit key. I also couldn't operate the FFWD/RWD buttons when the unit was in play mode. The tape heads were completely rusted also so those would have to be replaced. The LCD clock was dead too so there was some work to do. :-O

I quickly got the LCD display working OK but if you've ever had one of these tank Hitachis' apart, you would know how much of a pain the decks are to work on. So there I was months ago with a nice sounding radio with an excellent Line In but the deck remained non-operational (my pet hate). :sadno:

Fast forward a few months and a half dozen completed restorations, I was now prepared to tackle the TRK-9150W!

TRK-9150W 001.jpg
TRK-9150W 002.jpg
Speakers detached:
TRK-9150W 003.jpg

The back removed after disconnecting around 12 wires.
TRK-9150W 004.jpg
TRK-9150W 005.jpg
Five more screws removed, control knobs removed and the top panel removed. Time to pull the chassis:
TRK-9150W 007.jpg
At this stage, I got to work disconnecting the tape heads and tape counter which had lost its' numbers.
Then I de-soldered the deck motor power wires and the earth wire. After removing the 4 deck screws, the deck can now be moved about 5 cms - just enough room to get a small screwdriver in to remove the micro switch behind the deck. Then the deck can be flipped over just enough to get access to the 2 white wires that need to be be unscrewed from the deck motor. OK, now finally the deck could be lifted free!!

Now it was time to fit the replacement tape heads from my parts box. After flipping the deck over, I got to work freeing up the frozen pivot point in the Pause mechanism - that took over 20 minutes just to isolate the offending part. :hmmm:
TRK-9150W 009.jpg
Deck as removed - one intact but loose tape counter belt, the rest were a sticky mess plus jammed/seized mechanisms. This deck has obviously been non-operational for many years+! Look at the size of this Hitachi deck - it's huge!
TRK-9150W 011.jpg
After lubricating and rebelting the deck, I realised one of the idler wheels was sticky as it wasn't spinning freely when turning the flywheel. My parts box came to the rescue again with a free spinning part that fixed the problem. Unfortunately, after removing this part, I saw that the plastic post the part pivots on had broken free from its' base. :thumbsdown: Super glue and JB weld came to rescue again and it's now repaired!

After reassembly, I can say that this deck now sounds beautiful. No warble, correct speed (non adjustable motor by the way), clear bass, mids and highs and the auto stop works correctly!

I love the two flashing lights that tell the user the deck is in operation - very cool!

Quick video showing the unit first playing the radio, then recording the radio, then playing back the new recording:

http://youtu.be/-2yPDvXGpjQ

Thanks,

James... :-)
James, I've taken my TRK-9150 apart and I'm ready to re-belt unfortunately belts turned into tar and I can't no tell how they should go. Can you please post some pics of the belt configuration, I know you must of done it correctly as the deck works :-) BTW great job on the restoration !!!!

dkanarek

Member (SA)
Sep 29, 2015
Seymour, Connecticut
Thank you James, you're the best :hooray: . BTW, do you happen to know where this part belongs to ? I found it in battery compartment and assuming it's mechanical part of the deck.

dkanarek

Member (SA)
Sep 29, 2015
Seymour, Connecticut
Tip: One should be careful while cleaning these deck mechanisms. Springs tent to be flying out if you're not extra careful. If you loose a part search inside the unit first before making distress call as I did :bang: :w00t:

Status
Not open for further replies.