When the RC-M90 is turned on, the motor rotates continuously.

Pavel61

Apr 11, 2021
Hamburg
I started repairing the second RC-M90, I immediately discovered such a problem. When turned on, the device starts to work the main motor and constantly rotates. What could be the problem?

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
I could be wrong but I believe when FR704 blows it causes the motor to run constantly.

Pavel61

Apr 11, 2021
Hamburg
Can you hear the solenoid engaging? Is the drive gear turning?
Yes, when the device is turned on, the gear rotates, but the motor continues to work.
When I manually press the solenoid, playback starts and the pause lamp lights up.

Last edited:

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
I'd verify that FR704 is still good.
Caution or someone else can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it blows if you plug the cord in with the power button depressed.
You should solder it on the backside of the board so it's easier to change in the future.
If you haven't done so, I'd suggest downloading a copy of the service manual from the library here.
If it's not something easy like FR704, you're going to need it to troubleshoot.

Pavel61

Apr 11, 2021
Hamburg
Caution or someone else can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it blows if you plug the cord in with the power button depressed.
You should solder it on the backside of the board so it's easier to change in the future.
If you haven't done so, I'd suggest downloading a copy of the service manual from the library here.
If it's not something easy like FR704, you're going to need it to troubleshoot.
Thanks, but I have already replaced FR704 . I am already repairing the second RC-M90.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
The solenoid draws so much current that it could ruin your batteries if it's allowed to draw power for too long, which is why FR704 is meant to fail if it's allowed to stay active for more than about a second, which is how long it *should* be on under normal operation.

But when the belts fail, the deck has no way to advance the drive gear and disengage power to the solenoid after one second, so it burns up.
So if you replace the belts, but don't replace FR704, the deck still won't function properly because the solenoid isn't engaging.

I replaced the IC 701 chip (JVC VU00002) and it immediately burned out...
That's the main control IC.
The only other models that use this chip are the M60 and M80, so you'll have to steal it from one of those.

Last edited:

Pavel61

Apr 11, 2021
Hamburg
The solenoid draws so much current that it could ruin your batteries if it's allowed to draw power for too long, which is why FR704 is meant to fail if it's allowed to stay active for more than about a second, which is how long it *should* be on under normal operation.

But when the belts fail, the deck has no way to advance the drive gear and disengage power to the solenoid after one second, so it burns up.
So if you replace the belts, but don't replace FR704, the deck still won't function properly because the solenoid isn't engaging.

That's the main control IC.
The only other models that use this chip are the M60 and M80, so you'll have to steal it from one of those.
I was lucky IC 701 chip (JVC VU00002) is normal, only the FR704 resistor burned out.