VZ front plastic scratch repair

AE_Stereo

Member (SA)
Apr 24, 2012
Abu Dhabi, UAE
That's a brilliant tutorial.

But I still can't imagine the process of scratching the whole area with a ROUGH sand paper first to remove a scratch.
What if the process doesn't succeed for any reason?
I need to do a trial on something to get convinced myself.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
AE_Stereo said:

But I still can't imagine the process of scratching the whole area with a ROUGH sand paper first to remove a scratch.
Basically we are removing a thin uniform layer from the total area of the surface plane, slightly deeper than the scratch depth. If one is not doing this thin surface removal uniformly it will leave patterns of the uneven wear of the surface. The foam under the applicator discs helps distribute the pressure evenly when it rotates. If one tilts the angle and apply more pressure it will make swirl marks and uneven wear. Good skill is required to make this work come out nice and evenly smooth.

The size of the abrasive media on the pads reduces to lower size finer ones as we progress to smoothen out.

Chris did a beautiful job!

AE_Stereo

Member (SA)
Apr 24, 2012
Abu Dhabi, UAE
BoomboxLover48 said:
Basically we are removing a thin uniform layer from the total area of the surface plane, slightly deeper than the scratch depth. If one is not doing this thin surface removal uniformly it will leave patterns of the uneven wear of the surface. The foam under the applicator discs helps distribute the pressure evenly when it rotates. If one tilts the angle and apply more pressure it will make swirl marks and uneven wear. Good skill is required to make this work come out nice and evenly smooth.

The size of the abrasive media on the pads reduces to lower size finer ones as we progress to smoothen out.

Chris did a beautiful job!
Yes. I understand the process.
But need courage and skill to try it first.
This is one skill, I should develop.

Kudos to Chris for his wonderful restoration.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
AE_Stereo said:

Just do what I did....practice on a relatively cheap car's headlights! Then work your way up to your grail :-D Remember, you can buy replacement parts for your car!

Eddy

Member (SA)
May 20, 2009
Great Job Chris . A bit of elbow grease can make a world of difference :rock:
Knobs are a different story.

A few years ago a German seller had a VZ 2000 for sale an egay. He managed to make aluminium knobs for his boomer

I stored his e-mail adress for future use when i was able to get hold of a VZ 2000.

Unfortunately the PC where his e-mail adress was stored died on me.

I'm not giving up though. Gonna try to find a place where the can fabricate them .

I know it will not be cheap but they will last forever :hmmm:

Schmack

Member (SA)
Jan 19, 2013
Vienna
Eddy said:
Great Job Chris . A bit of elbow grease can make a world of difference :rock:
Knobs are a different story.

A few years ago a German seller had a VZ 2000 for sale an egay. He managed to make aluminium knobs for his boomer

I stored his e-mail adress for future use when i was able to get hold of a VZ 2000.

Unfortunately the PC where his e-mail adress was stored died on me.

I'm not giving up though. Gonna try to find a place where the can fabricate them .

I know it will not be cheap but they will last forever :hmmm:
Aluminium knobs man!?! I bought mine from bredgeo, and they are great, but I would give my right nut for aluminium ones. Pardon my french. Please share.

Btw: Nice job on the front!

riker1068

Member (SA)
Jun 5, 2014
FLORIDA Jacksonville
Lasonic TRC-920

I have 2 VZ3500 covers. You have any polish left? If so, how much to do?
Being I don't have a drill. I would have to make an investment to do the job.
But I will keep an eye out for one in the future. Being I have to polish up 6 of the 777s :rock:

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
riker1068 said:
Lasonic TRC-920

But I will keep an eye out for one in the future. Being I have to polish up 6 of the 777s :rock:
I do not have any more polish left, but one of those cheap headlight cleaning kits will work.

Ambience

Member (SA)
Apr 11, 2015
Colorado Springs, CO
Has anyone tried this on plastic with LED lights behind it? I did it on my 5085 but I don't feel like it came out all too great, I may need to try 5000 grit. I'm also doing this by hand.

I've actually been doing plastic repair for years as an auto technician, but these small plastics are scary to work with! I actually used 3M professional 3000 grit on the box itself to clean up the 5085 then went over it with polish, came out great!

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
That's reassuring, I just got a packet of 3000 and also the 5000 Trizact yesterday, to see if could improve the surface on my dial windows. Some look like new but still have the slightest dulling on them, and it looked like this went a little beyond the 12000 micromesh pad.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
BTW, I haven't done a thread on it, but you can do the same for black plastics. I did the top of a 931 and as long as you keep the speed of the polishing wheel super slow and I mean SUPER SLOW and take your time, you can get all the scratches out of those as well.

Beast From The East

Member (SA)
Feb 8, 2017
Athens Greece
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
Lasonic TRC-920

I do not have any more polish left, but one of those cheap headlight cleaning kits will work.
Chris what do you think of those two?
Is it worth to get the 3m kit?
Can you recognize if they are burned out?
I have seen somewhere that they talk of a tamiya 3 in one used by modelists
These two are from an Audiosonic tbs a project that i left behind a year or so and want to proceed.
Sorry for asking in here but i have been on Boomboxery for hours to figure out the best solution.
The thing is these are smaller surfaces than the Vz one.
IMAG1656.jpgIMAG1657.jpg