Two questions regarding the GF-9494.

Status
Not open for further replies.

monchito

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
pythonville florida
Superduper said:
I think Ramon made it sound oversimplistic. The plate that holds the flywheel will need to be removed. I'm not looking at one right now but if it's like 99% of others I've worked on, you just remove a few screws and lift it off. One (or more) of the screws might be spring loaded. If that is the case, count the turns so you can return it to the original position. That would be the freeplay adjustment, and you'll have to have some sealant afterwards to secure the screw. Also, those plates often have brass spacers. IF that is the case, make sure you note the location and don't drop it. BTW, the plate that secures the flywheel is on the backside of the mechanism so you'll have to remove the mechanism to get access to it.

When that capstan needle bushing deteriorates, it turns to goo. Like sticky la brea tar pits type of goo. Be prepared to use an entire pack of 100% alcohol soaked Q-tips to clean everything prior to reassembling. As I just keep dipping the Q-tips into alcohol and stuffing into the hole and recess until it comes out clean. It will take a very long time. Eventually, I can roll a small piece of paper towell into the hole and pull it through.

Finally, when reassembling, just put a small piece of the silicone hobby tubing into the hole and push the capstan needle through it. It will make it work 100% again.
thanks norm for the help i was on the way out so did not have the time but i knew you guys would take care of it :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

928GTS

Member (SA)
Sep 10, 2009
So I'm off to search for the right sized silicone hose as the material I had on had was just the slightest bit too small. I do have a few questions regarding reassembly on the deck. First off,it looks like the spring loaded freeplay adjustment that you were mentioning Superduper is something that has come loose. I am unsure where the spring is positioned in relation to the rod and the cylinder itself. Secondly,there is a small plastic piece that came off when the plastic drive wheel assembly came off and I'm unsure how it is positioned as well. I have included a few pictures.

The two items in question are the metal shaped box in the upper left hand corner of the photos and the plastic right angle piece in the upper right hand corner of the photos. One end of that metal slug seems to hook onto the metal rod that is just above the metal cylinder and the other end goes into said cylinder. I wish I knew where my service manual was...

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/6779/dsc05841r.jpg

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/9027/dsc05842x.jpg

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/4535/dsc05843m.jpg

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/8649/dsc05844w.jpg

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/5687/dsc05846j.jpg

928GTS

Member (SA)
Sep 10, 2009
The above issue is sorted but what does that tipped metal plunger do exactly? I know the adjustment of it is somewhat crucial but I'm not sure in what respects.

928GTS

Member (SA)
Sep 10, 2009
Well...I think I'm nearly there. I may be able to get away with using the size of tubing I have on hand but that is for tomorrow morning to decide. I did a quick test play and I need to make the capstan wheel a bit bigger as it isn't making enough contact with the rubber wheel that drives shaft that sits inside the left side of the tape. At least the deck *sounds* nice so the heads are in good shape.

928GTS

Member (SA)
Sep 10, 2009
Okay,so,does anyone have/know the part number for the friction wheel that sits between the left hand side tape drive shaft(the shaft that fits into the left side of the cassette)and the capstan wheel? In Fatdog's thread it is shown in picture number 5 and it is the wheel on the right hand side of the photo. If all else fails I'll try to find an equivalent O-ring for a hardware store.

Superduper

Member (SA)
Idler wheel: MLVEF0549AFZZ. Didn't I send you a service manual for this?

As for replacement tyre, most of us that do this type of repair just improvise along the way. So unfortunately, we probably should but few of us actually meausure and stuff as we work. We would likely just be happy to get something fixed. Welcome to boombox restoration, where mprovisation is a way of life!

928GTS

Member (SA)
Sep 10, 2009
You did! I'm just out in space and can't remember where I put it. I'll more than likely try and just source an equivalent part from a hardware store.

928GTS

Member (SA)
Sep 10, 2009
One final hurdle is that the deck will only play and fast forward. If I had to guess there is some switch somewhere that switches the direction of the motor. Would anyone have any ideas how to solve this?

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
928GTS said:
One final hurdle is that the deck will only play and fast forward. If I had to guess there is some switch somewhere that switches the direction of the motor. Would anyone have any ideas how to solve this?
The motor only spins in one direction. Getting the REW to work is a matter of resetting the gears. You should be able to manually move the parts and gears of the cassette mechanism to see which ones need to move. It could be that you forgot a belt or misplaced a spring if you completely disassembled it. ;-)

928GTS

Member (SA)
Sep 10, 2009
That is good advice and after some further inspection I saw I had placed the right angle plastic piece I was mentioning earlier upside down. I kept wondering why it was sitting about and actuating nothing. It actually pushes the fast forward gear up against the left shaft. Fantastic,now all I need now is a new O-ring for the friction wheel as it doesn't enjoy rewinding much as the O ring right now doesn't provide enough surface area against the wheel that sits underneath the left shaft(the part that drives the left reel of the tape).

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
For what it's worth, I had to find a huge tire for my Sanyo M9935. This is also before I found S2G, so it would have been around 2004/2005. Without knowing too much about boombox repair at the time, I went to Home Depot and found an O-ring in the plumbing section that worked perfectly. Its cross section was round, but luckily it was going in a groove anyway. It worked perfectly.

If you know the measurements of the idler tire, you can try to find one here (scroll to the very bottom of the page):

http://www.wjoe.com/vintageandantiques. ... er%20tires

Status
Not open for further replies.