TRK 7300H Questions

David Lau

Dec 15, 2023
Victoria BC Canada
Hi All:

I was helping a friend clear out an old boathouse he bought off a retiree. He tossed an old Hitachi Boombox through the air at the watsebin. I lept up and caught it, cradled it and took it home. Not really... I said: "don't toss that thing, its mint". I've wiped it down with a damp cloth and found a power supply cable. Everything works amazingly well. The case is in good shape, barely any wear and no cracks. All knobs feel tight and smooth, buttons all have a nice positive click and none are over-worn more than any others. The chrome is okay, it has some pinhole oxidization but nothing some Autosol won't fix. The rheostat knobs all have some crackle from dust, but every function works. Since then I found a heavy-hitting class 2 power supply, changed its polarity to the Hitachi configuration and found that function also works. I haven't tried the D cell compartment, but its pristine inside so its going to work.

Im half-thinking of opening the case and installing an Arylic bluetooth/wifi card into it. Is this a sin? Will purist hunt me down if I do that or are there technical reasons preventing me from tying into the amp with a streaming wifi card?

Not everything is about money, but what's it worth? I thought one of my GenZ sons' friends would want a cool retro OG boombox, but no. Are any of you looking to fill an empty shelf spot in your collections? Lots of questions....

thanks!

Attachments

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
Bluetooth is a great way to bring it up to date.
Cell phone makers are slowly doing away with the 3.5mm jacks so it'll be impossible to connect without bt.
I don't know but am guessing this box isn't worth a whole lot so it could be a great project box to learn on.

Reactions: David Lau

David Lau

Dec 15, 2023
Victoria BC Canada
Bluetooth is a great way to bring it up to date.
Cell phone makers are slowly doing away with the 3.5mm jacks so it'll be impossible to connect without bt.
I don't know but am guessing this box isn't worth a whole lot so it could be a great project box to learn on.
Thanks Tinman. I'll feel no remorse in cracking it open and tapping into the inputs!

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
You Can tap into the Tape Head connections by using a simple voltage divider (Four Resistors).

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
Thanks Tinman. I'll feel no remorse in cracking it open and tapping into the inputs!
Yeah, I've tapped into the aux ins on the last two boxes with excellent results.
The bluetooth modules are really cheap and small.
You'll have to power it up, the one I just installed required 3.5 to 5 volts.
I used a buck converter set to about 4.5 volts.
Also, you'll need a switch on the exterior to turn it on and off.