TRK-3D80E radio issue

bigmadandy

Dec 10, 2023
UK
Picked this up today for a friend who doesn't have internet and stills listens to tapes. Both cassette decks amazing work really well. Got it home and apart from some scratchy potentiometers, it all seemed to work well.
Then with the radio on, it suddenly fell silent. Didn't touch it, it just went silent. Switched back to tape, no problems. Played with the tuner wheel on all bands, messed with all the switches and sliders but there's nothing except for a little background static.

Wondering what it could be?

My guess would be something like a dead capacitor on the radio board?

bigmadandy

Dec 10, 2023
UK
Tried messing with the function switch, didn't do anything. When in the radio position there's nothing except static at higher volume which stays the same regardless of band etc, doesn't alter when moving the tuning wheel on whatsoever on any band. Usually a function switch will work at least intermittently if you fiddle with it enough? There's nothing. Odd that it was working and just stopped while it was select to radio.

I'll use some contact cleaner though just to rule it out

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
I'm presuming this is an analogue tuner they can have dirty Ferrite plug, it needs to be pulled down and on the tuner board near the variable capacitor there is a round plastic mount with a screw head. This sets the top and bottom of the scale remove with a screw driver and clean in internal contacts with sandpaper and replace. There is another method pour alcohol over tuner board and scrub with a paint brush then dry with a small fan heater. I have done this many times on a range of boxes.