Strange sound issue across two different Panasonic boombox models

cjacek

Mar 6, 2024
Canada
Hi,
I hope someone here can help me out. I was just curious about a strange issue that I've been meaning to ask about. I have a Panasonic RX-C60 (from 1982) that I bought a few years back locally. It was in really good low use condition and worked beautifully for a number of months. I then noticed that it developed a distortion or crackling sound in the left speaker whenever I played something, whether it be through cassette , radio or its inputs. I tried swapping speakers, it was always on the left side, so it had to be something internal I thought. I then recently recalled that it was the EXACT same problem that my Panasonic RX-CW55 had experienced when I bought it new back in 1987 when I was still in high school. It was fine for about 4 or 5 years and then the left speaker started to distort, exactly as the C60. I recall taking it to a local repair shop, twice, and they could never fix it. These were exactly the same problems across two different models. The question is what could this have been? Sorry that I don't have a video to show, as the 87 model I sold many years ago and the 82 model I have packed up somewhere, waiting for the moment to maybe fix it. I just wanted to know if you guys have heard of anything like this and what it could be?

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
Sounds like it could be oxidation in the function switch or oxidation in the record bar switch.
This causes intermittent contact in turn causing intermittent sound or distortion .
There is no guarantee that this is the problem but it is common among all makes and model boomboxes.
Cleaning these switches is not easy and usually requires taking the switch apart .
These are usually closed switches meaning there is no way to clean them without getting to the internal parts.

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
Another thing . if you haven't used the record function in a while then try inserting a cassette then press record and then stop several times . This will move the record bar switch might help clear up the sound . all audio signals travel through the record bar switch and if it's dirty will interfere with all audio signals.