Sticking cassette doors on Sharp GF-777

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimbo

Member (SA)
Jan 30, 2010
Hi
I have a problem which seems quite common on vintage boomboxes, which is sticking cassette doors.
On my GF-777 I have the problem on both doors. They open and close ok, but upon ejecting, they just need a little persuation!
Any ideas on whats causing this and a cure?
Cheers

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
It's possible that they just need a good lube job. I've never heard of a spring wearing out completely, but that's also a possibility. :hmmm:

roddy@radiohier

Member (SA)
Jun 5, 2009
Hamburg, Germany
www.radiohier.com
Hey Kimbo,

is not the dampeners unfortunately. The problem with these units (GF-777, 767 etc) is that the hinge pins and the hinge sockets
wear out very easily. They're only made of the same plastic as the housing and without lubricant on them.
Its actually mainly the hinge socket which is worn, and once it's worn the strength of the eject spring forces the door up vertically to high when closing, which in turn causes the door to rub or scrape on the housing.
The way to fix it is to take the door off (eject the door, then push the 2 retaining tabs inwards a bit to release the door fully) and put some heatshrink on the hinge pins, schrink them then cut the excess heatshrink off.
This increases the vitual diameter of the pins, so there's less slack. i usually put some kinda lube on them too. And sometimes the eject spring tention has to be reduced.
i wouldn't say it the perfect solution but its ok. Better would probably be to fill the old hinge sockets with epoxy and redrill the hinge socket, but that's more complicated.

Hope I could help.. cheers. Roddy

Kimbo

Member (SA)
Jan 30, 2010
Cheers Roddy
Thanks for the expert advise and the solution.
I'll tackle this when I have an hour or so to spare. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.